Changes to this year's TPWD draw hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doug View Post
    They did get hit hard! Glen and I went on the first archery hunt in 2019 and saw this in person. I think we saw 2 deer the whole trip and saw numerous skeletons. They cancelled the remaining hunts and we got our points back. We had a great time anyway! Saw the bats come out and they took the group on a cave tour. Beautiful place that hope to hunt again one day.
    I drew the Kickapoo hunt during the flood of 2018. Roads were out for a few days. You never know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      You got to hunt and they gave you your points back?!
      Hard to believe but yes. One of the guys on the hunt did some work contacting the right folks I guess and made it happen. Most of the folks left after the first day. No animals were taken and only a couple were seen. The few that stayed decided we wouldn't shoot even if we did see anything. Pretty sad situation but it will be back one day!

Comment

That kinda makes me angry, my brother drew Richland creek a few years ago and that hunt got flooded out and they wouldn't give him back almost 10 years of preference points. He called tpwd in austin and they said sorry we're not giving them back, guess he should have been more hard headed.

Comment

That kinda makes me angry, my brother drew Richland creek a few years ago and that hunt got flooded out and they wouldn't give him back almost 10 years of preference points. He called tpwd in austin and they said sorry we're not giving them back, guess he should have been more hard headed.
          Man, they must of had it in for your brother. I drew a hunt that got canceled and I got my points back. Course I had to make a phone call to Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Man, they must of had it in for your brother. I drew a hunt that got canceled and I got my points back. Course I had to make a phone call to Austin.
            Makes me question who has the button to add and subtract points and if any funny business is going on
            Last edited by bossbowman; 07-13-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Speaking of name changes Devils river Dan Allen Hughes unit formerly Big Satan unit, no hunts there this year. There are so many areas that are gone from the draw hunts in years past, Huntsville, Possum Kingdom, Lost Maples, Dinosaur Valley, Guadalupe River (main park), Devils Sinkhole SNA all used to be a regulars in the catalog. I wonder why these places aren't doing hunts anymore?
              I did Devil's Sinkhole in 2007 or 08. Lots of deer. Stood out on the platform at dusk when the bats were coming out. Bats swirling all around some bumping into the railing ricocheting.

At that time the TPWD folks in Rocksprings were saying that it was getting built up around the SP. That might have had something to do with the discontinuance of the hunt even though it was archery.

Comment

Spend my $120 today.

Comment

The sinkhole supplements animals for a lot of the smaller tracks that surround it. They probably have trouble keeping the heard at an adequate level.

Comment

I drew a few years ago and the hunt was cancelled due to flooding. My points were restored without any calls or intervention from my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                      most of those guys went to school for 4- 8 years so they could make very little money working in the absolute middle of nowhere at a WMA. If they are allowed to shoot some hogs and exotics as a side benefit to dedicating their lives to running a WMA that's fine with me.

From what I saw at Davis Mountains(it is a state park anyway and not a wma) last summer if anyone is shooting those aoudads they aren't doing a good job of it. We saw probably 50+ of them on the hillside above the campgrounds in the one afternoon we spent there.
                      good perspective

Comment

Permit changes

The biggest change I noticed this year is how the catalog now says "Permits/Groups", which might impact draw odds.

Comment

Working...
                        X