One in the chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
    Close friend is long time career LE and we had been discussing scenarios due to people who think there will be time to chamber a round. He was SWAT and found himself in a situation where a life had to be taken.

A judge friend of mine felt his life was in imminent danger and took immediate steps to prepare for what he sensed was coming. Had he not been 100% ready when it showed up, he wouldn’t have lived another day. The threat showed up where he’d least expect it.

I would love to know the detailed story on the judge friend defending himself…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I appendix carry. My G48 is pointed at my junk 16+ hours a day. I guarantee you I do intend to shoot my junk.

I will be carrying deep conceal and appendix carry after Sept 1st when the constitutional carry goes into effect. The deep conceal is harder to draw, but the barrel is in front of my junk instead of pointing at it… a little extra peace of mind! Lol

Comment

The only situation I carry without one in the chamber is if I have dont have a holster for the gun and have to mexican carry it for a bit.
        Otherwise it stays loaded.
        Carrying without one in the chamber is the same as saying "I don't wear a seatbelt but I'll just buckle it up when I get in a wreck before I get hit" lol
        If someone is THAT worried about it it I suggest they get a DA/SA gun. That first DA pull doesn't get made on accident....

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
          The only situation I carry without one in the chamber is if I have dont have a holster for the gun and have to mexican carry it for a bit.
          Carrying without one in the chamber is the same as saying "I don't wear a seatbelt but I'll just buckle it up when I get in a wreck before I get hit" lol
          If someone is THAT worried about it it I suggest they get a DA/SA gun. That first DA pull doesn't get made on accident....
          X10 on SA/DA

Comment

Stays loaded 24/7/365

Comment

Some of y'all seem to live in a fantasy in which the bad guy politely announces his intent, giving you time to get ready. In the real world, unless you're vigilant, there's a good chance you ain't even going to notice before he's close enough that you're screwed. Y'all do what you want, but whatever pistol I'm carrying is cocked locked and ready to rock. Same with the shotgun in the house. There ain't time to play when, heaven forbid, a gun comes out.

Comment

If you gotta mexican carry you may as well leave it at home and bring a brick then, according to much of this thread. Useless hunk of junk unless it’s got one in the tube. No conceivable scenario where it could possibly be used if it don’t have one in the tube. No “excuses” allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                  If you gotta mexican carry you may as well leave it at home and bring a brick then, according to much of this thread. Useless hunk of junk unless it’s got one in the tube. No conceivable scenario where it could possibly be used if it don’t have one in the tube. No “excuses” allowed.
                  Since you're so hung up on the brick hyperbole (it is the internet after all ), sure, there's a scenario in which it goes down and you have plenty of time. There's also a scenario in which you can put just enough gas in the car to make it somewhere with no traffic. You gonna plan for the best case or the worst case? There is absolutely no advantage to carrying without a loaded round, and in many if not most altercations, not being loaded has a lot higher chance of making you dead. Carry how you want, but I agree, an unloaded gun is about as effective as a brick when a bad guy gets the drop on you. Maybe where you live they politely ask for your wallet, but I ain't taking that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                    Since you're so hung up on the brick hyperbole (it is the internet after all ), sure, there's a scenario in which it goes down and you have plenty of time. There's also a scenario in which you can put just enough gas in the car to make it somewhere with no traffic. You gonna plan for the best case or the worst case? There is absolutely no advantage to carrying without a loaded round, and in many if not most altercations, not being loaded has a lot higher chance of making you dead. Carry how you want, but I agree, an unloaded gun is about as effective as a brick when a bad guy gets the drop on you. Maybe where you live they politely ask for your wallet, but I ain't taking that chance.
                    Maybe you missed my earlier posts, I do carry one in the chamber my brother. I recognize most of it as hyperbole, as my last post was an obvious exaggeration, but not all of it.

“…not being loaded has a higher chance of making you dead” I completely agree but I’d add to that: “and leaving it at home all together higher still.”

Comment

I grab the S&W 442 hammerless wheel gun if I don't wanna holster...I figure I only need one round in the cylinder in these cases due to multiple safety concerns under scrutinized hypothetical scenarios that are hollywood very likely. Wouldn't wanna shoot my foot off or have a kid get hold of it, so figure 1/5 odds of getting the life threatening kill shot needed are legit. I view it more as of a sniper saturday night special. One shot, one kill.

It's really a gamble & cuz it's so light I really can't call it a brick in the unlikely impossible attack where I need the whole cylinder loaded...more of some left over mortar I can hopefully get in the bad guy's eyes.

I'm sorta considering leaving it at home next time.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        I would love to know the detailed story on the judge friend defending himself…

Maybe some time over a campfire or fishing hole or whatever we can talk about it further. I’ve faced related things and by the grace of God and probably my mom’s prayers before cancer took her, I’m still here.

Comment

I carry a ruger sp101, CZ 75 p01 and a Glock 20 with a 6” lone wolf barrel. I’m only 33 but what I have learned in life, is it can change in a blink of an eye. I carry loaded because that second might save my life one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            I grab the S&W 442 hammerless wheel gun if I don't wanna holster...I figure I only need one round in the cylinder in these cases due to multiple safety concerns under scrutinized hypothetical scenarios that are hollywood very likely. Wouldn't wanna shoot my foot off or have a kid get hold of it, so figure 1/5 odds of getting the life threatening kill shot needed are legit. I view it more as of a sniper saturday night special. One shot, one kill.

It's really a gamble & cuz it's so light I really can't call it a brick in the unlikely impossible attack where I need the whole cylinder loaded...more of some left over mortar I can hopefully get in the bad guy's eyes.

I'm sorta considering leaving it at home next time.
                            Holster? I figured the only holster a man that valued his life needed was his hand. Why slow down time to target by storing a weapon in a holster? It should be in your hand at all times if you want optimal chance at survival. May as well leave that brick in the holster and paint a target on your forehead.

It’s flawed and meant in jest, I hope it’s received that way.

On a related note, something else I think about is how I would react in these situations. Who knows how it would actually go down. But I don’t think I’m drawing on a drawn and aimed gun unless I can first gain an advantage by at least hampering his ability to aim the gun at me. I think compliance until optimal opportunity is the goal, situation dependent.

Comment

I carry a 1911 in condition 1.

I like the manual safety and have practiced with it, but its ready to go other than that.

Comment

I think it's obviously best to remove yourself from the threat if at all possible & all the effort one can muster...i've only been in one situation where I thought I might have to pull & it was terrifying. The last thing anyone wants to deal with other than bodily harm is the aftermath of lead leaving the firearm.

Was in a crowded HEB on a Friday nite trying to get out to deer camp & accidentally ran into a gang banger's heel with my cart...well, apologies weren't gonna work & those tear drop tats had me on high alert. After some back & forth with no deescalation working, his gf / wife laid in him & when he turned to bicker with her, I left the cart & backed the hell up outta there. Could hear them yelling during the entire exit.

It was SUPER crowded so the thought of having to shoot was creepy...I kept the cart between us & had to be a bit forceful as he wanted to get up in my face. Bottom line, is it worked & not sure what I would have done differently. Sure changed my perspective on what true situational awareness means. Sure wouldn't have wanted that commander to be anything but cocked & locked!!

Comment

Working...
                                X