No announcement yet.

Mollejas (sweetbread) tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any other gland that normal humans eat?????????

Fyi - we will have lunch today at cookies soul food. It's Ox Tail day..............

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
      I really can’t answer that because I’m not sure. Not even sure if deer have these milk glands. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweetbreads are actually thymus glands, which are part of the immune system. They slowly disappear as an animal matures, so most of our deer won’t have them remaining by the time they make the target list. If a fella were to shoot a yearling, it might still be there. It is located in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        Sweetbreads are actually thymus glands, which are part of the immune system. They slowly disappear as an animal matures, so most of our deer won’t have them remaining by the time they make the target list. If a fella were to shoot a yearling, it might still be there. It is located in the neck.

You are correct. They are thymus glands.
        When I first had these a long time ago, I was told it was the gland in the neck of a calf that helps break down the milk. I’ve just called them milk glands from there on out. Lol

Comment

You are correct. They are thymus glands.
          When I first had these a long time ago, I was told it was the gland in the neck of a calf that helps break down the milk. I’ve just called them milk glands from there on out. Lol

It actually produces T-cells (a type of white blood cell) and Thymosin (a hormone that stimulates T-cell development). It is essentially an “immune system in an organ” that covers the body in early years before the immune system has had time to fully mature and and is able to defend against everything that comes its way. After sexual maturity (puberty) it will quickly be replaced by fatty tissue and disappear.

I don’t know where the milk part came from, but lots of old timers call it that. Maybe because it starts going away shortly after the animal stops nursing…??

Comment

I just fired me up some . I’m sure since my kids seen them raw they won’t even try it . How how they left over ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              I just fired me up some . I’m sure since my kids seen them raw they won’t even try it . How how they left over ?

I eat the leftovers all the time, when there are some. Lol
              They’re just as good

Comment

I eat the leftovers all the time, when there are some. Lol
                They’re just as good

Good to know . I’m sure it will just me eating two bags .

Comment

Cooked some last nite...brunch was with two over easy eggs.

I've been adding a little beer & allegro to the butter boil...actually marinated them overnight in the stuff.

Comment

I was wrong my kids tore them up .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      I was wrong my kids tore them up .

No leftovers for you. Lol

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Knowing what they are, I would have never tried them but with this thread I’m definitely interested in giving them a try.

Comment

Mollejas, tripas and carnitas on the early morning drive to the lease is the best with fresh made corn tortillas is a killer combo and any leftovers over the coals in some aluminum foil to heat up later on at night is even better! Man sure is a bummer right now that I’m so far away from the Valley right now lol

Comment

Ok, I’ve got a couple of questions. I’ve been researching recipes for this and they have you soaking the sweetbreads and then boiling them and then removing the membrane. I see that you boil yours in butter but do you pre soak or remove any membrane or do you find that it’s unnecessary?
                            I’ve also seen that there’s two types of sweetbreads, thymus (also called throat, gullet, or neck sweetbread) or pancreas (also called stomach, heart, belly or gut sweetbread). Does it matter which one it is?

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread when I'm hungry Lol I've not seen anyone mention my favorite way to do them yet. just one additional step...

When mollejas are done, whether smoked or braised, I chop half of them really small with a cleaver (almost minced) and then crisp them in a cast iron. Just adds some texture and depth of flavor. Of course, served over fresh corn tortilla, cilantro, and onion.

This way, people can choose whole (softer) or "crispy" for their tacos. If someone is having a hard time stomaching the whole glands, crisp them up for them. Good way to introduce someone to Thymus Gland.
                              Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-21-2021, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                Ok, I’ve got a couple of questions. I’ve been researching recipes for this and they have you soaking the sweetbreads and then boiling them and then removing the membrane. I see that you boil yours in butter but do you pre soak or remove any membrane or do you find that it’s unnecessary?
                                I’ve also seen that there’s two types of sweetbreads, thymus (also called throat, gullet, or neck sweetbread) or pancreas (also called stomach, heart, belly or gut sweetbread). Does it matter which one it is?

I don’t soak them and I don’t trim anything off. I just wash them off then season them. I get the ones from HEB. I’m thinking they are the thymus.

Comment

Working...
                                X