How much is enough to retire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GARY View Post
    That's a thought to rethink. Example: Retire @60 and live to 90..you will be going backwards without some exposure in the market (imho). I am looking at models ranging from 2-6% over the 30 year window and thinking I will be in market at no less than 40% throughout this time period of retirement.
    I dont ever think I'll be less than 60% in the market ever! Unless my real estate holdings grow large enough to push my market number down. But I guess I have a big enough cushion vs my spending to withstand the ups and downs of it. Ive been through 2 big ones already and never changed a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      When I started looking into retiring, I saw this. To tell the truth, I was shocked.. I guess I was thinking the averages would be higher, especially for the 40's through 60's.
      If this is true then it’s really sad. But also makes me feel REALLY good about what I have in retirement savings at 31 lol.

Comment

EJ charged a small percentage on some load mutual funds, not on others.

Nobody can predict the future, but over time trends are valid. I think he helped with organizing our thinking, and discouraging my ideas to move in-out of different mutual funds (i.e. into cash or particular stocks) when I feared a market collapse. For example when covid hit and the market tanked, I needed a calm voice that said “stay where you are-it will come back”. 180 degrees opposite a person churning your account to make commissions.

He also was able to show us the numbers that we could indeed retire- I wanted out but my wife was not sure we could afford it.

When we left CA an EJ advisor on TBH helped me with selecting which EJ office to work with in Montana. After having female doctors we now work with a female EJ advisor, and she’s great.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would definitely get in touch with a couple financial advisors and talk to them, ask around who others recommend. You have a farm? What type of farm is it? Grain crops or hay or livestock. Can you lease the land out or have someone farm it. Working for yourself is way better than someone else

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
            I would just like to add one tid-bit while planning for the future. I know your not promised tomorrow, but the sooner one takes their health and fitness as serious as they take their finances, most likely the less money will be needed at the end. If you save your whole life and eat twinkies, your nest egg will be spent in the medical field instead of things you like doing.
            Great Advice Here. Twinkled are amazing but not as good as they use to be. Take care of your health so you can enjoy retirement. Exercise and train for it as it approaches so you can enjoy those awesome trips, hunts, adventures, etc that you've worked so hard for all those years.
            Wheen my dad retired his flexibility and health was so bad he could hunt out of anything higher than a ground blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              When I started looking into retiring, I saw this. To tell the truth, I was shocked.. I guess I was thinking the averages would be higher, especially for the 40's through 60's.

Well, I’m 34 and doing better than all of those age brackets… I guess that’s a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X