Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpaid sabbatical at 51? Any of yall done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    I have multiple times.
    Never had kids, wife, or any debt.
    Heck yeah! Have any fun stories to share?

Comment

My wife did this at 38 or 39. Took a full year off and did a ton with the kids. She was CMO of a company that was acquired and had a double trigger on her options and cleaned up. She updated her linkedIn from CMO to CSO--chief sabbatical officer. :-). She had a great year and great times with the kids. Go for it!

Comment

I have a friend who’s wife was in a similar position and long story short she found a job for almost the same yearly pay and only works 3 1/2 days a week. She was in medical field and worked with heart doctors so I’m sure that helped

Comment

Interesting for sure and following...

Comment

Your life expectancy wound be around 76 so take your nest egg and divide that by 26 to see if your comfortable living off that annually. Might help you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
              I didn't say anything about a good job. I really just need to make $15-20/hour and health insurance. I have no doubt I can find that at 55. I have a very solid nest egg but health insurance if I am unemployed will be in the $600-800 range so I would like to work part time to cover that and make a little money.
              If I don't take this leave and work until 56 or 57 I should be able to retire completely. This last year has worn me out and not sure I can do 5 more without a refresh.
              I say go for it, but I'd talk to your current employer and see if you can work something out for when you return. Though, I'd be ready to go when you have the talk.

Comment

I haven’t had a job since I was 17
                Go for it!

Comment

As a funeral director, I respect the heck out of this decision! Do it while you can!

Comment

Im 51 and highly advise it. Im in a different situation but enjoying the easy life. If you can do it. Life is short and do what you can while physically able to do it. Wife and I both said we can go find a part time job at 70 if we need to

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                      I haven’t had a job since I was 17
                      Go for it!
                      ?????

Comment

Good luck to you. My wife and I are getting things in order to do the same thing within the next 5 years.

Comment

Chicken, I say go for it. I would rather be in the ranch than travel, but I’m a homebody.
                          I had kids in college and realized how fast I was aging physically @ 60
                          Retired to the country and It has totally rejuvenated me mentally and physically.

Best of luck.

Big pig

Comment

A dollar today is worth more than the same dollar in 10 years, so is a year of your time.

If you can swing it financially, then it's a no brainer to me.

Comment

After a divorce in 1973 at 25 years of age I discussed taking time away with my boss. Got the green light and took off West. I wound up in Moab, Utah where mother nature cleared my head quite well. I didn't have a lot of money but really didn't need much. I returned to home in Kansas after 2 months. Became more successful at work and haven't looked back.
                              In retrospect, 50 would be the best age. Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                                Chicken...... heck yes, go for it

Yes, it’s super easy in my trade to get a good job over 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                What is your trade? Just curious

Comment

Working...
                                X