ATV Ramps - Need Questions Answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV Ramps - Need Questions Answered

To those who are in the know regarding transporting ATVs in pickup truck beds and loading/unloading an ATV in/out of a truck bed using ATV ramps,

Let me preface this by stating I have a Kawasaki Prairie 360 that I have tranported exclusively with my 5×8 tilt trailer aince I bought it in 2003. I am thinking about selling my trailer and buying ATV ramps to be able to transport my 4 wheeler in my truck bed. I have a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 with the standard 5 1/2 foot bed length. I am extremely safety conscious and have the following questions/concerns, so I would appreciate your input/advice:

1) I weigh about 275 lbs, and my 4 wheeler weighs about 650 pounds. My F150 has the all aluminum tailgate and bed. Any issues/concerns about the ability of the tailgate to support that much weight when loading/unloading the ATV?

2) If the ATV is too long to be able to shut the tailgate, how safe is it to transport the ATV with an open tailgate using only tie down straps? Also my ATV has a front winch, so I am not sure how to keep the ATV from slamming into the front of the truck bed and denting the alluminum bed, or worse, hitting the rear cab glass and breaking it.

3) I need unput about the ramps themselves, specifically what features to look for and what features to avoid. I know there are tri-fold and bi-fold ramps, aluminum and steel, etc. I think most of them secure to the truck with nylon straps, but not sure if there are even better methods to secure them. Also are longer ramps safer than shorter ramps, since my truck sits up higher? Any specific brand name ATV ramps you would recommend would also be appreciated.

My initial fear is trying to drive the ATV into the bed of the truck and being slightly off center and hitting the wheel well causing the ATV to get cock-eyed and while trying to back down to recenter the ATV, I drive off the side of the ramps and flip the ATV over. My concerns maybe unwarranted, but I would have much more peace of mind after hearing from the TBH braintrust. Thanks!

Be careful! Make sure to tie the ramps to the tie-downs in the truck when you load up...saw a guy loading an ATV one time, he was on the throttle when the front wheels were in the truck, rear wheels still on the ramps, the ramps slid back off the tailgate...guy and ATV went over backwards...ATV kind of rolled sideways so didn’t land right on the guy, but could have been bad.

Comment

Man I hate loading an ATV in the bed of a truck. Tail gate should be fine, you never have 100% of the rider and bike weight on the tailgate. Get long ramps as it reduces the approach angle. I always push my off when unloading instead of riding it off.

Comment

I used to load mine in the back of the truck and always wished that I had a trailer. I don't think your truck will have a problem with it in there. But also remember that you will have basically 0 bed space to put other things in the bed with the wheeler in there.

I would see if someone close to you has ramps you can use and try it out before you sell your trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
          Be careful! Make sure to tie the ramps to the tie-downs in the truck when you load up...saw a guy loading an ATV one time, he was on the throttle when the front wheels were in the truck, rear wheels still on the ramps, the ramps slid back off the tailgate...guy and ATV went over backwards...ATV kind of rolled sideways so didn’t land right on the guy, but could have been bad.

^^^ THIS, for sure!

Also, take a boat cushion and attach to the front of your ATV to avoid denting your truck. Leave it there while transporting. STRONG ratchet straps will keep it in the truck while driving, but it is probably a good idea to also place ratchet straps over the top of the ATV to keep it in the bed in the event of a crash.

Comment

I have seen sever posts on a powerstroke forum of the aluminum tailgate giving out while loading golf carts and 4 wheelers. I wouldn’t do it .

Comment

Put a couple 2x4's verticle up against back of bed. 4 wheeler should be tight against that and preotect bed box.

You will more than likely not be able to shut tailgate. Get several straps and you should be good.

as was mentioned earlier, just push it off and let it roll. Will be OK.

My back deck is just the right height to roll a 4 wheeler(or anything) right onto my truck...well except when it is wet.

Comment

Been a few stories here on tbh about guys riding ATVs into their bed and smashing their back glass. Be aware of that.

Comment

Been hauling my very large and heavy Rincon in the back of my truck (same as yours) for two years. No problems whatsoever....but.....as said by someone else....DO NOT use the ramps without securing the straps to your bumper and be ready to get on the brakes once in the bed.
                  That is all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been transporting my ATV in the back of my truck for years. When I bought my ATV, the dealership was offering a free winch but I asked if they'd swap that offer for bi-fold ramps (about 1/2 the cost of the winch, but more useful to me).
                    Definitely use the straps on the ramps and make them tight before loading/unloading.
                    I have one of those 'extend bed' racks that goes to the edge of my tailgate when down. I don't use any straps on the ATV when transporting (really only a problem in the case of bad wreck).

Comment

I don't know about the aluminum bed and tailgate, but be extra careful when it's rained or muddy. That's the only time I ever fell trying to load with ramps.

Comment

What’s already been said above.
                        Trifold are usually longer than bi folds and can slide under the quad for transport. I can’t remember if the bi’s do.

You are kinda going backwards, most people haul in the bed until they can get a trailer. To sell the trailer and revert to the bed, interesting path.

You will lose all of your storage space.
                        Tailgate will be down.
                        Coolers, totes and corn are now wedged wherever you can find a hole, and there won’t be many holes with a 5.5 bed.

There’s also a story I’ve been told from a TBHer of his quad coming into the cab and consuming the back seat of the truck when he T-boned a car that was crossing 59 and he was highway speed.
                        Said if anyone had been in the backseat they’d have been dead.

Btw, I’ve hauled many a quad in many a truck bed- including a 5.5’ Ford.
                        Being able to do it as an option, no problem with that approach.
                        Selling the Ute trailer and only being able to haul in truck bed, yeah I’d hold off on the trailer sale until you’ve made a few trips that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just keep your trailer and haul it on that.

Comment

I bought a Magnum 325 from a forum member’s father in law a couple months back. I don’t currently have a trailer because, we’ll, I don’t have a place to store it.

The ATV is a 2001, bought it for my son and knew it needed a few things addressed. Not a big deal at all as he was 12 at the time and I wanted him to get up off his butt and get some mechanical knowledge. While it’s still a work in progress, he’s done enough to make it rideable, but it definitely still needs attention.

The main issue with this wheeler when I bought it was that it didn’t have brakes. No brakes. None. Zero. The lever (master cylinder included) broke away from the mount and was just sitting in the front rack. Ok, I can fix that and it’s really not expensive.

My issue was, as mentioned above, I have no trailer. So I drove it into the back of my 1500 Ram (short, short bed) and shut it off to stop the wheeler.

The key when loading one into the back of a truck is the approach angle. Park your truck where the slope between the ramps and the bed is as flat as possible. This naturally lessens the amount of throttle needed to load it up, which also lesses the risk of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                              I bought a Magnum 325 from a forum member’s father in law a couple months back. I don’t currently have a trailer because, we’ll, I don’t have a place to store it.

The ATV is a 2001, bought it for my son and knew it needed a few things addressed. Not a big deal at all as he was 12 at the time and I wanted him to get up off his butt and get some mechanical knowledge. While it’s still a work in progress, he’s done enough to make it rideable, but it definitely still needs attention.

The main issue with this wheeler when I bought it was that it didn’t have brakes. No brakes. None. Zero. The lever (master cylinder included) broke away from the mount and was just sitting in the front rack. Ok, I can fix that and it’s really not expensive.

My issue was, as mentioned above, I have no trailer. So I drove it into the back of my 1500 Ram (short, short bed) and shut it off to stop the wheeler.

The key when loading one into the back of a truck is the approach angle. Park your truck where the slope between the ramps and the bed is as flat as possible. This naturally lessens the amount of throttle needed to load it up, which also lesses the risk of damage.

Amen to that.
                              Dropping down into a shallow dry ditch is my favorite approach.
                              Just loading into a flat footed truck with short ramps is a recipe for a flip over. And don’t mash the back brakes if the front end lifts. It would be better to smash the rear of the cab then flip a 650# machine onto yourself.
                              The block of wood in the front of the cab mentioned above will help ease the concern of breaking the rear window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X