Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #51
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinville View Post
I've been wondering it too. He was talking about buying around the time Tiger Cafe was for sale.

Iím in Arp. Come see me.
BowSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #52
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Great read Shane. Thanks for sharing..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #53
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Thanks, Shane. I'm so sick and tired of the pissing and moaning and complaining. We didn't invent this **** show, but we can certainly deal with it with perseverance and dignity. This is a great country. We've don't typically lay down and take anything. We had some goat-humpers knock down a couple of our buildings and we've spent the next 19 years stacking them up like cord wood in their own towns and villages and deserts. We beat the Nazis and Fascism and the Japs. We cured Polio. We survived the Great Depression and the Great Recession. We're a country of ******es and for those that are too weak to carry themselves, the rest of us will drag along. I'd just like to see people face this with less defeat in their attitude and more "We got this". I've never had to fight a virus before but that SOB has never had to fight America either. I bet on us.
Love it Curt! Hell Yeah!! KVA!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #54
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Dad has a small buisness in a small town. Says hes staying open, has to, you know... for money and food. It's easy for the govt to say close, it's not realistic, or constitutional. Gonna have to tough it out folks, theres no alternative here.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #55
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Thanks, Shane. I'm so sick and tired of the pissing and moaning and complaining. We didn't invent this **** show, but we can certainly deal with it with perseverance and dignity. This is a great country. We've don't typically lay down and take anything. We had some goat-humpers knock down a couple of our buildings and we've spent the next 19 years stacking them up like cord wood in their own towns and villages and deserts. We beat the Nazis and Fascism and the Japs. We cured Polio. We survived the Great Depression and the Great Recession. We're a country of ******es and for those that are too weak to carry themselves, the rest of us will drag along. I'd just like to see people face this with less defeat in their attitude and more "We got this". I've never had to fight a virus before but that SOB has never had to fight America either. I bet on us.
Amen, brutha!

I expected we would face it with more "We got this" when it first started, but that didn't happen. All the defeatist panic is foreign to me. But rather than moaning any more about that, I'm focusing on whatever "we got this" I can think of in response to the defeatist panic. I see that as a far bigger threat than the virus, but the panic will run its course, just like the virus. We'll get through it all soon, and, Lord willing, we'll learn from the experience and come out stronger on the other side.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #56
Mike
Ten Point

While at MD Anderson last week I had a Dr tell us that he worries more people will be bankrupted than actually get the virus in the US.

Last edited by Mike; 03-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #57
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I don't know about everyone else but I don't think negatively. Maybe I'll have to take a break from work,maybe I won't. I'll work until my boss tells me otherwise and I'll be doing something to make money the very next day whether I'm gathering up snakes or helping a buddy of mine that owns a landscaping company or who knows what. I'll find something to do regardless and it won't take long. I ain't got time for all this. If I ain't dying or dead I'm gonna be working and carrying on with my life the best I can until everything is back to normal.

Things don't stay bad forever. Trust me I've seen hard times and they eventually got better.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #58
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Iíll **** and moan if I feel like it.

I run an events based non-profit. Thankfully, Iím the only full time employee. Has cost me plenty so far and will get worse. Good thing for part time work and a spouse.

I hope this bs ends quickly.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #59
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Yep, you gonna have stories for a lifetime.....lol...Ö..you guys will make it!

You got it...Ö..or call DoorDash and they will bring it to ya!

Yep, I have had it for nearly 15 years and have never used it. Hopefully don't need it this time either. We are using this as an opportunity to test market a hypothesis I have had for awhile. Should be interesting either way.

We had a family discussion about that on yesterday. We are all concerned about a super long timeframe but short term not so much. I pray everyone comes out fine and changes the way they do things in the future.

We had Sysco Foods deliver 2 cases of water for each of our 37 employees and core food staples to last them two weeks. No layoffs either but obviously less hours for the younger employees. I will continue to support our TEAM as long as possible as we really have some good folks.

Iím going to miss my wings until this madness is over. I usually visit the 45 location if I have a meeting at Sysco. This is going to hurt my customers!
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #60
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
I can relate 100%!!!
Quote:
Amen, brutha!

I expected we would face it with more "We got this" when it first started, but that didn't happen. All the defeatist panic is foreign to me. But rather than moaning any more about that, I'm focusing on whatever "we got this" I can think of in response to the defeatist panic. I see that as a far bigger threat than the virus, but the panic will run its course, just like the virus. We'll get through it all soon, and, Lord willing, we'll learn from the experience and come out stronger on the other side.
Yep, time is on our side either way......keep swinging for the fence, sooner or later it will leave the park!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #61
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Iíll **** and moan if I feel like it.

I run an events based non-profit. Thankfully, Iím the only full time employee. Has cost me plenty so far and will get worse. Good thing for part time work and a spouse.

I hope this bs ends quickly.
That stinks, Jeff. I don't know how you couldn't moan about it. Incredibly frustrating. I don't know you well, but one thing I know about you is that you're a tough SOB and a survivor. I've always had a lot of respect for you for that. Hang in there, brother.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #62
Shane
Pope & Young

Here's an encouraging report. I pray that the plateau and ensuing decline in the virus is seen here soon as well.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/wuhan...ign=benshapiro
Old 03-16-2020, 11:17 PM   #63
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
If we bring back to the US just a fraction of manufacturing that has been moved to China in the last 20 years, we'll see an economic boom that will last a decade. Maybe this virus will be a wake-up call that spurs action.

But Trump's gotta win reelection.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #64
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
If we bring back to the US just a fraction of manufacturing that has been moved to China in the last 20 years, we'll see an economic boom that will last a decade. Maybe this virus will be a wake-up call that spurs action.

I am all for this but do you think we actually have the workforce for it?
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #65
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:

This is so ridiculous. If itís not China, it will be the other 20 lower income countries. The problem is the US citizens want the lowest prices and enterprise wants the highest profits. Until you can change that, everything we do is counter productive.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #66
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Moran
Default Folks are losing their jobs & business's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is so ridiculous. If itís not China, it will be the other 20 lower income countries. The problem is the US citizens want the lowest prices and enterprise wants the highest profits. Until you can change that, everything we do is counter productive.

X2

I am in the semi truck tire and repair business and last year when the anti dumping and CVD hit truck tires coming out of China I didnít notice any more US factories open. Most factories just moved their molds to other countries like India and Vietnam.
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #67
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
X2

I am in the semi truck tire and repair business and last year when the anti dumping and CVD hit truck tires coming out of China I didnít notice any more US factories open. Most factories just moved their molds to other countries like India and Vietnam.
Even before Trump was elected, we would get questions like "why are you still in China when XYZ nation is 10-20% cheaper?!?" Like we were making a bad business decision. If you are in the industry (and its not government work) its very clear where the root problem is. Basically its the same people that complain about manufacturing in lower income countries but then purchase anything on Amazon. You can't have both.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #68
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
I am all for this but do you think we actually have the workforce for it?
All those kids who graduated in the last ten years with degrees in Art History, Women's Studies, and Sports Marketing who tend the bar at Starbucks will need training, but yes, I think it could be done with a reasonable amount of automation and retraining of the currently underutilized workers. Just find ones making $30k/yr with $100k+ of student loan debt. They will get on board.

I'm sceptical about the claims many employers make that there isn't enough trained workers to fill currently open positions. Too many HR departments think every new hire has to have N+1 years of experience and they set the minimal requirements absurdly high, thus always having a shortage. How can we simultaneously have a worker shortage AND a high number of underemployed workers?

The question is do we have the will and leadership as a nation to make the commitment to change. I'm afraid the toilet paper panic of 2020 will be remembered long after the strategic lesson that China owns our pharma supply chain will be forgotten.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #69
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Unfortunately, I think that is the biggest impediment. Getting consumers to choose "made in USA" when it costs more.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:55 AM   #70
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Trump put in place the sba emergency funds for low interest loans
That alone should buy time but not sure how long.
I think alot of small businesses aren't aware of it and should do some research asap

up to 2 million is alot to work with for a business
https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-ne...virus-covid-19
Problem is, you arenít eligible for that money until youíve already fallen on your face...and then, itís another 60 days or so to get any relief. Donít know many new, smaller businesses that can last that long with no income.
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #71
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:

Sounds good in theory but nobody wants to work for the dollar. That all want to work for 6 figure jobs. So many entitled people joining the work force now. We will see how they handle the next couple weeks
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:42 AM   #72
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Mfg suffers from a skills gap. Not many younger generation going into blue collar type trades. Most contractors we work with will tell you it’s hard to find good electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters, machinists, etc...
We struggle to find good people much less get them to stay where I work
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #73
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, Montana

Words of wisdom. Just hold on. This too shall pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
Unfortunately this is going to be like a hurricane. You hold on for dear life until it passes, then go outside and assess the damage and pick up the pieces that are left. I have very close friends in the restaurant business, and today's news of closures could mean the end for them. I sure hope not. This is gonna be really bad for the service industry.
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 AM   #74
JhuntsAlot
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook8 View Post
Problem is, you arenít eligible for that money until youíve already fallen on your face...and then, itís another 60 days or so to get any relief. Donít know many new, smaller businesses that can last that long with no income.
This..

Not to mention it looks like Texas is not currently on the list for SBA Covid disaster relief. At least that is what I am seeing. I guess the Governor has some work to do.

https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Declarations

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 AM   #75
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I told my kids to pay attention, they are witnessing history. This will change us. These kids that have lived in a dream world their whole lives are finally getting a tiny taste of the real world. For the first time in their lives they cant get what they want, or do what they want to do when they want.

I hope this snaps them into a bit of reality.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #76
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Sounds good in theory but nobody wants to work for the dollar. That all want to work for 6 figure jobs. So many entitled people joining the work force now. We will see how they handle the next couple weeks
If we could revamp welfare and make it a to where you get a supplement for your paycheck to make ends meet or just give it a real time limit like 90 days and your done.

And another thing, make it law that unions could not organize at any facility where the known profit margins are less than 25% ( that should include just about every manufacture in the country). They are the reason most of these companies left in the first place.

But the biggest thing, make it law that the gov. could not tax business more than 10 -15%. another huge reason they left in the first place.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #77
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
Iím in Arp. The Front Porch Cafe. Let me know if you come by.
I will stop by one day foe sure!!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #78
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Good read.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #79
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
We opened up a new restaurant today in Fort Worth, talk about great timing.
Where is it? Name of it? Love Shuck Me, just too far out of the way for me to go very often.
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #80
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
If we could revamp welfare and make it a to where you get a supplement for your paycheck to make ends meet or just give it a real time limit like 90 days and your done.

And another thing, make it law that unions could not organize at any facility where the known profit margins are less than 25% ( that should include just about every manufacture in the country). They are the reason most of these companies left in the first place.

But the biggest thing, make it law that the gov. could not tax business more than 10 -15%. another huge reason they left in the first place.
Just stood up from my morning bowel movement to applaud this post.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #81
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Great article Shane, thanks for sharing. There is sun behind the dark clouds after we weather the storm.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #82
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Here's an encouraging report. I pray that the plateau and ensuing decline in the virus is seen here soon as well.

That is very encouraging! People must buckle down on the social distancing ASAP.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #83
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Very very interesting
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #84
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:

Americans want a car, housing, etc. The things people here already have prevent us from making (most all) manufacturing competitive with the slave labor rates in China.

The only way these jobs are coming back, the only way people can ďbuy American!Ē again, is for Americans to take wages that wonít even cover food, much less anything else.

Iíve been thinking about mailing out $20 a day MAGA job applications for a new factory. There should be quite a few folks out there willing to work for nothing to ďbuy AmericanĒ, right?
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #85
KX500
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

What if you work in sales?

Can you imagine what car dealerships are like right now?

With probably 3/4 of the nation not all that financially secure, who is going to buy anything they don't have to have right now.

And then if cars aren't selling, no need to keep manufacturing car parts and so forth & so on!

Been there done that - I sure don't miss working in automotive.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #86
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Keep this in mind. Many of the politicians that are telling businesses to shut down have never worked an honest day in their lives (this means you Lena Hidalgo). The more companies, and small businesses that are forced to shut down, the more won't reopen, and the more people will remain out of work when this is all over. There is a point where you just have to take your lumps, continue with life, and reap the consequences, and we are reaching that point.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #87
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
Just stood up from my morning bowel movement to applaud this post.
Hope you have TP
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #88
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgil View Post
Where is it? Name of it? Love Shuck Me, just too far out of the way for me to go very often.
9560 Feather Grass LN, Fort Worth, it is in the Alliance Town Center off of Heritage Trace, used to be Cousins BBQ, on the bright side, we just had a soft opening, did no advertising besides putting it on facebook, it almost did as much sales as our Southlake location, that being said sales were down over 50 %.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #89
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:

One of my hunting buddies has some parts manufactured in China. They have been producing for a week or so now. And looking at the "total infected" curve this morning, it looks like the number of new cases dropped significantly.

People are still getting panicked over nothing. 4,6xx ppl in the US with it currently and 98% will be just fine.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #90
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post

My man!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #91
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX500 View Post
What if you work in sales?

Can you imagine what car dealerships are like right now?

With probably 3/4 of the nation not all that financially secure, who is going to buy anything they don't have to have right now.

And then if cars aren't selling, no need to keep manufacturing car parts and so forth & so on!

Been there done that - I sure don't miss working in automotive.
I am 100% commissioned sales. Definitely getting a little concerned.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #92
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Hope you have TP
Nope - but I have a shower.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #93
KX500
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

However, if you have anything to do with Bidet sales and installation (with the run on TP), now may be the time to shine!

Although I admit to having no experience with this sort of thing - maybe it takes even more TP after that blast of water cleans things off!

But then 'drip dry' is an option to, right?
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #94
ByronB
Ten Point

I agree with you Kuma. This is a very bad situation and getting worse by the day. Not only for those getting sick but for the economy as a whole. For those losing their jobs or being cut back........ I want to believe that people will not be shuttered to the streets for not paying their rent, house notes, bills, etc due to the situation. I could be incorrect about that but we will see. Prayers for everyone.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #95
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1219 View Post
I grew up in Granbury. Curious what cafe it is.
Pure Country on 51 about 3 miles past the bridge going north towards Weatherford.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #96
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:
We have that on our policy and will be checking with our agent tomorrow to see if it will apply if we need it.
I wouldnít stop with asking the agent.

Lots of them havenít read your policy.

John Houghtaling a big attorney in New Orleans just filed a declaratory action against Lloydís on this very issue.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #97
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

This is also a really good time to review whether having a load of debt is really such a good plan.

Those stupid Dave Ramsey people are going to start looking pretty smart in the near future.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #98
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
I wouldnít stop with asking the agent.

Lots of them havenít read your policy.

John Houghtaling a big attorney in New Orleans just filed a declaratory action against Lloydís on this very issue.
Yep. My friend was told by his agent that there was no coverage because it excluded "viruses and bacteria"..... I told him to make sure that did not mean that coverage was excluded because his restaurant was actually contaminated with viruses/bacteria, which is not the case. This shutdown is considered a government action.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #99
Charles
Pope & Young

People are about to find out about all the small print in their insurance policies.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #100
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I think the businesses and government of S. Padre decided not to go belly up. With everything else closing all the kids are headed to the place that is open. This is said to be last night on Bloomberg
Attached Images

glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top