Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
robbyreneeward
Ten Point
 
robbyreneeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clarksville, TX
Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County
Default Who plants soybeans in the spring/summer?

Since we are living on the land we hunt, Iím gonna get serious again about planting food plots. Who plants soybeans for summer food? When do you plant? What brand of seed? How much to plant per acre? We have about 33 acres of huntable land, and about 3 acres of tillable we can plant on.


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
robbyreneeward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Lungbustr
Pope & Young
 
Lungbustr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Default

The problem with 3 acres if there are many deer at all they are gonna come through and eat the sprouts and kill it all.

They love those tender little plants when they are in the 2 leaf stage.

Gonna need to keep the deer out until they can mature some and handle the browsing pressure
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
robbyreneeward
Ten Point
 
robbyreneeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clarksville, TX
Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
The problem with 3 acres if there are many deer at all they are gonna come through and eat the sprouts and kill it all.



They love those tender little plants when they are in the 2 leaf stage.



Gonna need to keep the deer out until they can mature some and handle the browsing pressure


What do you suggest? Electric fence? Plant more acreage?

We see roughly 2 doe families that live on/near our place at this point and thatís it. The last three or four years we hardly see deer went hunting. We havenít planted a food plot in the fall or kept corn in feeders in probably five years or more. This is due to building the house and not having time to maintain. Iím really wanting to take this more serious than I was before now that we are living out here now. Any suggestions on hill are appreciated


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
robbyreneeward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
fordsuper08
Eight Point
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lindale Texas
Hunt In: San Angelo , East Texas
Default

get on face book and check out double tine innovations the guy who owns it is great and very knowledgeable as to what and when to plant and their seed is top notch everything i have bought and planted from them has been great
fordsuper08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyreneeward View Post
Since we are living on the land we hunt, Iím gonna get serious again about planting food plots. Who plants soybeans for summer food? When do you plant? What brand of seed? How much to plant per acre? We have about 33 acres of huntable land, and about 3 acres of tillable we can plant on.


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
I plant Soybeans. Plant in late April, early May. Ground temp needs to be above 65degrees. If you have 3 acres in 33 to plant that's perfect, 10%. Just get regular production soybeans, don't waste your money on Forage Soybeans. The deer will continue to eat the top leaves of the plant after it gets about 12"-14"

You may want to try Iron Clay Peas, some people swear by them, I do not care for them. They get tall and beautiful and nothing has touched them.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Lungbustr
Pope & Young
 
Lungbustr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Default

Electric fence that keep deer out is pretty involved.

You may not have a problem. I always planted areas with a really high deer density and it makes it tough.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

This field was planted about June 10th last year. We would have planted earlier, but as you can see the field was a little wet. Beans will definitely bring the deer in.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
robbyreneeward
Ten Point
 
robbyreneeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clarksville, TX
Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I plant Soybeans. Plant in late April, early May. Ground temp needs to be above 65degrees. If you have 3 acres in 33 to plant that's perfect, 10%. Just get regular production soybeans, don't waste your money on Forage Soybeans. The deer will continue to eat the top leaves of the plant after it gets about 12"-14"



You may want to try Iron Clay Peas, some people swear by them, I do not care for them. They get tall and beautiful and nothing has touched them.


Do you plant right before a rain? Do you broadcast or drill?


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
robbyreneeward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
robbyreneeward
Ten Point
 
robbyreneeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clarksville, TX
Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
This field was planted about June 10th last year. We would have planted earlier, but as you can see the field was a little wet. Beans will definitely bring the deer in.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk


Looking good Mike!!


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
robbyreneeward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
MisterSanders
Ten Point
 
MisterSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chambers Co.
Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora
Default

I planted a small plot with eagle brand soybeans. I put milorganite on them, once then 20 days later to let them get established. They're browse tolerant, meaning deer can eat on them and they keep on growing. Lasted until the first freeze.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSanders View Post
I planted a small plot with eagle brand soybeans. I put milorganite on them, once then 20 days later to let them get established. They're browse tolerant, meaning deer can eat on them and they keep on growing. Lasted until the first freeze.
I obviously did something wrong with mine. They looked like any other soybean.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I plant Soybeans. Plant in late April, early May. Ground temp needs to be above 65degrees. If you have 3 acres in 33 to plant that's perfect, 10%. Just get regular production soybeans, don't waste your money on Forage Soybeans. The deer will continue to eat the top leaves of the plant after it gets about 12"-14"

You may want to try Iron Clay Peas, some people swear by them, I do not care for them. They get tall and beautiful and nothing has touched them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
Electric fence that keep deer out is pretty involved.

You may not have a problem. I always planted areas with a really high deer density and it makes it tough.
Both these guys are right, it depends on your deer density. Iíve planted beans as well as IC peas and for the money I like the peas better. The first year I planted beans I bought regular feed store beans and got an infestation of pigweed like you never saw before. I also got some other kind of weed from Kansas that I had hell getting rid of. The next year I planted Eagle beans, (Round Up ready bean, which means that you can spray them with Round Up when they are about 8Ē tall and kill all the weeds), and they lasted until the leaves turned yellow. The deer ate the hell out of them, but I got no actual bean pods. Planted them the second year with the same results. The third year I planted Real World beans and had the same forage but actual bean pods which lasted into the winter.

After that I started planting IC peas and I couldnít see any difference in growth or browsing. Theyíre as good for protein as soy beans and grow in the same conditions. They need pretty neutral soil to grow well as do soybeans. They are much cheaper to buy than beans are, at least the beans I bought. I wouldnít use feed store beans again at all because of the experience that I had with them.

If it were me, and I wanted to try the beans, Iíd be sure and check the seed bag tag to see what the weed seed content is before I bought them. Iíve never got any noxious weed seed from IC peas. It may take a little while for the deer to get used to them but they will definitely eat them after they try them.

If you donít have hogs you can broadcast wheat or rye grain into the beans/peas when the leaves start to yellow and mow the growth then youíll have some wheat plots. I never had anything left from IC peas except vines.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
rut-ro
Ten Point
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

Do you guys just disc, broadcast and then drag? Or how do you plant ?
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Do you guys just disc, broadcast and then drag? Or how do you plant ?
Yes.

The thing about beans they just need soil contact, if you can cover them that is better. If you are just gonna broadcast them, do it just before a good rain.

Lot of good info here, be flexible, don't settle on one thing or way of doing it. Enjoy

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
taylormade820
Eight Point
 
taylormade820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county
Default

I'm taking notes here.. Ive been wondering the same.. they ate all of our sprouts last go 'round. learning process I guess..
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Yep, would love to have a drill, but canít afford one to use on food plots. I kill existing vegetation with gly, disc it until itís manageable, (which is different according to moisture and soil type), broadcast fert and then seed, drag it down and Iím done. Itís a little more complicated than the simple terms Iíve stated but thatís the gist of it. I try to disc as little as possible. Some soils thatís two passes,one to turn the top over and one to level. Sometimes itís as many as three pases to turn over and one to level. I make my last pass with my gangs almost straight, then when I broadcast and drag, the seeds drag jnto the disc grooves and it almost looks like it was drilled in.
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #17
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

A better pic
Attached Images
 
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
robbyreneeward
Ten Point
 
robbyreneeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clarksville, TX
Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Yep, would love to have a drill, but canít afford one to use on food plots. I kill existing vegetation with gly, disc it until itís manageable, (which is different according to moisture and soil type), broadcast fert and then seed, drag it down and Iím done. Itís a little more complicated than the simple terms Iíve stated but thatís the gist of it. I try to disc as little as possible. Some soils thatís two passes,one to turn the top over and one to level. Sometimes itís as many as three pases to turn over and one to level. I make my last pass with my gangs almost straight, then when I broadcast and drag, the seeds drag jnto the disc grooves and it almost looks like it was drilled in.


Looks good. Need to buy a new seed spreader for my tractor


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
robbyreneeward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #19
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point
 
Pineywoodkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Porter, Texas
Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county
Default

Anyone ever try the red ripper peas? Everything Iíve read says they are more tolerant to sandy soil which is like where Iíd be planting them and also says they are very drought tolerant


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pineywoodkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 AM   #20
dbaio1
Pope & Young
 
dbaio1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Humble, TX (Atascocita)
Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area
Default

We can't grow them.well. Deer will wipe them out shortly after they come up.. We have tried up to 5 acres and still to small. Good luck.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
monsterspike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

good thread. im hoping to learn more.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
We can't grow them.well. Deer will wipe them out shortly after they come up.. We have tried up to 5 acres and still to small. Good luck.
I planted peas two years on a place that had a high deer density, and put out milorganite both years. The first year my June planted peas lasted until the middle of September. I thought the milorganite really did the trick. Next year, I planted the same way, spread milorganite, and the peas lasted 6 weeks. I had a camera on the plot, I could see the peas growing from pics to pics, then, the deer found them, knew how good they were from last year, and the peas just got shorter and shorter. In 6 weeks only vines were left. I didnít plant it last year at all because of the drought and doubt Iíll do it again. All I can get is 2 acres there and that just ainít enough.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #23
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties
Default

I’ve had really good success with Laredo soybeans. I usually plant mid May or around there.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com