Recovered bullets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovered bullets.

Who else thinks it's kinda cool to find bullets you've shot stuff with just to see if they really perform like they're advertised to do? Or even just to see what they actually did. I won't go digging around for them but I have found a few while skinning stuff over the years.

I found a 30 grain jhp I shot out of a .22mag the other day and it really didn't do what I'd have thought it would do. The bullet flattened but not to so drastically that you couldn't tell it was a hollowpoint. The hollow tip was just a little wider is all.

I ain't trying to sound morbid or like I'm some kind of strange ranger I just think it's interesting seeing what different bullets do.

Comment

me too. I reload still but when I first started, I shot .30-06 bullets into 4-5 of thick phone books. Pretty cool stuff. Lately, I've shot my 9mm into a used dryer and collected some interesting expansions out of that.

Comment

Nope. I prefer pass throughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Since I predator hunt a lot and save fur my main focus is bullets that stay inside the animal causing minimal pelt damage. Or a bullet that does exit,causes massive damage on the inside but leaves a small exit wound. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to kinda check and see what your bullets are doing. Just like the hollowpoint out of the .22mag. It kind of confirmed what I initially thought because I've shot prairie dogs with that bullet and heard the bullet ricochet after exiting. I figured they probably weren't expanding much if any which in my experience can cause less damage leaving animals wounded. I like bullets that stay inside whatever I'm shooting for the most part depending on what I'm after.

Comment

I save all my recovered bullets kind of keepsakes and have a bit of a collection and as well I like to look to see if they perform to my standards. My favorite two I’ve got is a 7mm Berger I found in an elk I shot while I was slicing the heart up to make steaks and then a 50 cal bullet I shot at a steel plate out of a Barrett.

Comment

Being I am an avid muzzleloader... I was impressed at how devastating lead roundballs and lead buffalo bullets are to deer/hogs

Comment

I like digging around for them. This is a 110gr Barnes out of a 300 blackout that was stuck in the offside skin of a hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Barnes TSX out of a 300 Blackout I found in a hog. It's basically like that one except it has two petals on it instead of 4.

Comment

150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip from my .270 win. found just under the skin on the opposite side of an Aoudad.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have found a few over the years most have been real pretty mushrooms all were out of a .270 and one out of a 6.5 creedmoor. One was a 130 corelokt one was a 140 gr sst one was a winchester 130 gr if I remember right. The 6.5 was a 143 gr eldx. All were on either axis or mule deer. All found under offside skin.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunter I took from West Virginia wanted a “wild Texas boar hog” while staying the weekend. I got her a pig for the wall and while caping it the bullet just hit my boot. It was in the dirt on opposite side!
                        62g federal fusion in .223
                        Attached Files

Comment

The only one I recovered was a federal 150 gr that entered a buck in the chest at the base of the neck, and was under the skin on the left rear hindquarter. Textbook perfect mushroom. That deer turned and ran, for 25' until he ran right into a tree.

Comment

It’s cool I have a few. Most kills are pass through though

Comment

Before and after of a 165 grain nosler ballistic tip from my sons 308 found in the skin on the off side shoulder of the axis buck my son shot.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X