Working overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working overseas

So talking to my boss today and he hinted there might be some overseas work in South America (Argentina and Peru) in our future

It was adventurous enough going to North-central Montana in February for this Texas boy much less another continent! Besides a passport are there any pointers for a wandering Texan too know???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL no clue ive never been out of the country but im sure it will be fine going with work. My company sends people to China to train every now and then when building new units that they already have. Maybe ill get to go one day

Good luck!

Comment

I've worked overseas the past two years now. Be sure to get any recommended vaccines suggested by CDC. You don't want a B on your hepatitis test or the ****s cause you didn't take the typhoid vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by dannorocks View Post
        I've worked overseas the past two years now. Be sure to get any recommended vaccines suggested by CDC. You don't want a B on your hepatitis test or the ****s cause you didn't take the typhoid vaccine.

This right here. I'm sure your employer will see to this before sending you abroad. I've been working overseas for five years and finally getting back state side. I've worked on all the coasts of Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean. Seen alot of beautiful places. Also saw alot of crap holes like Africa which I could care less to ever see again. Keep up with current events which could be hard to do in some countrys. I was in Turkey a few years back when they had an attempted government take over and never realized it. Also had just left the airport 30 minutes after a suicide bomber/bombers blew themselves up in it. Quite frankly Im glad to back I'm my backyard in the Gulf of Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
          This right here. I'm sure your employer will see to this before sending you abroad. I've been working overseas for five years and finally getting back state side. I've worked on all the coasts of Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean. Seen alot of beautiful places. Also saw alot of crap holes like Africa which I could care less to ever see again. Keep up with current events which could be hard to do in some countrys. I was in Turkey a few years back when they had an attempted government take over and never realized it. Also had just left the airport 30 minutes after a suicide bomber/bombers blew themselves up in it. Quite frankly Im glad to back I'm my backyard in the Gulf of Mexico.

Wow thats scary. Maybe i dont wanna go to China ever lol. Too many close calls for my liking

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            My younger brother is in the oil field and said Africa was the worst. Said its a total craphole. Nothing to work with, local workers were worthless, and half of the tools etc they ordered never showed up. All stolen before it ever got there. Has no interest in going back.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
              My younger brother is in the oil field and said Africa was the worst. Said its a total craphole. Nothing to work with, local workers were worthless, and half of the tools etc they ordered never showed up. All stolen before it ever got there. Has no interest in going back.
              Yep!

Comment

I spent 4 years in Africa, and it's not all bad, but you have to realize that Africa ia one heckuva big place! It is a continentent that is 2.5 times larger than the United States, with 58 countries. The conditions that you can find are quite variable, depending exactly where you are. I took advantage of my situation and traveled and safaried extensively during my time there, and I found plenty of good, bad and ugly for sure but my overall experience was one that I would not trade for anything.

South America should be a piece of cake!

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                  Wow thats scary. Maybe i dont wanna go to China ever lol. Too many close calls for my liking
                  China is about as safe as you can get. I’ve been traveling there for 10+ years.

Comment

I’m in Argentina as I type this although I’m at the airport headed home. I travel here a few times a year and bounce between BA and Neuquen. If I can answer any questions for you then feel free to reach out.

Comment

Bring your shotgun for wing shooting.

Comment

I worked in Saudi Arabia for awhile and while it took some adjusting to it I would go back. I am trying to go work in Argentina now myself but I think the project is on hold for now. Your company should let you know if you need a visa and what vaccinations are needed. Just set back and enjoy the change of scenery and learn a different culture.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                          I worked in Saudi Arabia for awhile and while it took some adjusting to it I would go back. I am trying to go work in Argentina now myself but I think the project is on hold for now. Your company should let you know if you need a visa and what vaccinations are needed. Just set back and enjoy the change of scenery and learn a different culture.
                          What kind of work would you do in Argentina? A lot of activity is on hold until the elections this year.

Comment

Which sea do you have to cross to get to South America?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The thing I know about south america, they are basically north america as far as food goes, but better. I have had good south american food here in Houston, and when we go to those places with friends from Peru/Argentina/Chile, they always say if you think this is good, you should try going there and having the real thing.

One thing to keep in Mind, Argentina allowed a lot of German emigration after WWII, so there are people who may or may not have supported the swastika back in the day, depending on the town you stop in. Lot's of out of place German architecture too.

We were going to go to Montevideo for our spring trip this year, but the flights got to be too expensive, even to Buenos Ares. If I were you, I would love to go and work there for a few years!

Comment

Working...
                              X