Shortage of DEF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortage of DEF

My sister called today because she knows I drive a diesel but it's a older one so it doesn't take DEF, anyway she said there is a shortage coming so you better stock up. She's a far righty and is into all that stuff so I'm guessing she is right.

Just passing it on.

Someone said there was a shortage coming a few months ago but nada so far...

Comment

Delete!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        Delete!
        If I knew someone who would delete my truck in the weatherford area -i'd be all over it!!

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
          If I knew someone who would delete my truck in the weatherford area -i'd be all over it!!
          You have FB? Plenty of people out here that do it. (I had my last two done in dallas since it was close to the office).

Comment

Things like this tend to take a while to ramp up. Both Russia and China amongst other countries make urea which is used in fertilizers as well as DEF. Well, Russia and China decided a few months back to stop exporting urea. This was the first clue that shortages would be coming. Fast forward a few months and India has decided to stop exporting urea as well. For reference, India was the worlds largest exporter of urea a couple of years ago, so to hear that they stopped exporting is something that will cause major ripples across the DEF supply chain.

The big question we have now is how long will our current supply of DEF last before we start seeing shortages. That I do not have an answer to. We aren’t going to run completely out of DEF, but it will start to get harder to find, and it will be more and more expensive as time goes by when you do find it.

Comment

I was asked by a coworker- and I don't have the answer- but he saw a guy online pouring straight water in his DEF tank and saying it worked- no CEL or DEF system alarms.

Anybody tried it?

Comment

Enough people start talking about a shortage and enough people will start hoarding it. Wallah! Shortage. I remember when you couldn’t by freaking toilet paper, no shortage, just hoarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                  Enough people start talking about a shortage and enough people will start hoarding it. Wallah! Shortage. I remember when you couldn’t by freaking toilet paper, no shortage, just hoarding.
                  That is not the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    I was asked by a coworker- and I don't have the answer- but he saw a guy online pouring straight water in his DEF tank and saying it worked- no CEL or DEF system alarms.

Anybody tried it?

A guy that worked for me dang near destroyed a Duramax trying this

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
                      If you find someone let me know. I am looking also and will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post

Hoarders will get bit on this one, there is a shelf life for DEF

Comment

Do semis use DEF? Sorry I’m ignorant to what sorts of regs there are on tractor/trailer Diesel engines. But if they do, and there’s no DEF, then there will be a shortage of everything

Comment

Story I heard the other day said India was cutting way down on exporting DEF.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Do semis use DEF? Sorry I’m ignorant to what sorts of regs there are on tractor/trailer Diesel engines. But if they do, and there’s no DEF, then there will be a shortage of everything
                              Yes they do. Any newer diesel. I think 2012 was the last year model to go without DEF.

Comment

Working...
                              X