Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Texas quail, when and where did you last see any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw 10-12 in East Colorado County earlier!

Comment

Houston Co. I grew up with quail whistling in the spring. We always had coveys on our place. About 1992, they were just suddenly gone.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Houston Co. I grew up with quail whistling in the spring. We always had coveys on our place. About 1992, they were just suddenly gone.
        Probably around same time frame here, NE Navarro Co.
        Used to have a covey of about 12-15 hang around the house and a few loose coveys down along a creek.

I was shooting my bow one day(about '82 or so) and covey came flying into a Redbud tree I had. More like a bush, right beside me. Then I heard a hawk screech and knew why.

Haven't seem em in a long, long time.

Comment

I heard a couple whistling last Fall out on the prairie here in Liberty County... Couldn't believe my ears. They were down in my pasture behind the house, but I didn't see 'em. Heard 'em off and on throughout most of the Winter, but haven't heard any this Spring... I was hoping they made it, but odds were stacked against 'em here with all the yotes, free roaming dogs/strays, and millions on coons...

Comment

I use to see and hear them all the time in Hardin County. Been scarce to non existent since the early ‘90’s

Comment

There’s many reasons the quail population has plummeted. Eye worms Are the biggest culprit. Raptors are #2, most all rural people used to raise chickens so they kept the raptors numbers down. During the fur boom the trappers kept the nest raiders at bay. Tens of thousands of coons, skunks,possums where caught each year. People say habitat change, but i know ranches covering many square miles that haven’t changed in the last 50 years. Quail are prolific breeders, but not able to overcome disease and predation.

Comment

Wood co. Mid 80’s that were wild

I see one every other year or so standing in a road… you can go pick it up… it was released. Also seen a pheasant last year

Comment

Lamar county
                  Turkey hunting in 2007 at PMWMA walked into a small covey
                  About scared me to death
                  Never saw any before or since

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                    My dad and grandad guided quail and woodcock hunters in smith and van zandt county in the 70’s and 80’s. I killed some in 88 but it wasn’t long after that the quail numbers tanked. According to my old man house cats, horse farms and coastal Bermuda grass were the main culprits of the decline in numbers.
                    Grew up in the same area and early to mid 80's was last I remember seeing any.

We also had a ton of Horny Toads in the sand fields. We would catch a few and keep them in a shoebox for a few hours then turn them back to catch another day. Big ones too, size of the palm of a grown man's hand

Comment

It was a very long time ago.. Before fire ants and back when coon skins brought good money..
                      There are your 2 problems.

Comment

I saw on the TPWD show that ground nesting birds were getting wiped out by the hog explosion. They cover every bit if ground and can sniff out eggs. It was in context to Turkey but stands to reason other ground laying birds would meet the same fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          I saw on the TPWD show that ground nesting birds were getting wiped out by the hog explosion. They cover every bit if ground and can sniff out eggs. It was in context to Turkey but stands to reason other ground laying birds would meet the same fate.

Hogs are useless vermin and one day they will outnumber deer in lots of areas. They may already.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Hogs are useless vermin and one day they will outnumber deer in lots of areas. They may already.

Well with the coming recession/depression maybe those numbers will decrease a little lol. Knowing our govt though the FDA and USDA will have people starving in the streets while free meat runs rampant through the woods lmao.

Comment

So a little off, but i frequent Las Vegas and they are all around. Have no idea how they survive it’s so dry!

Comment

Late 90's early 2000's Corrigan/camden area.
                                Lot of factors I think hurt quail.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X