Attention GS Engineers and Rednecks with Redneck Ingenuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention GS Engineers and Rednecks with Redneck Ingenuity

Given we are headed for a summer like the on in 2011, I'm about to put in a misting system on the patio. But, I want to see if there are better ideas.

Was just watching this video, and thought, ok, how can I chill the water going from the faucet to the fan?

Well GS Engineers and Rednecks with Ingenuity. How do we chill the water as it passes from the faucet to the fan?

Run the line coiled up in a ice bath tub of water.

Comment

There ya go .

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
        Given we are headed for a summer like the on in 2011, I'm about to put in a misting system on the patio. But, I want to see if there are better ideas.

Was just watching this video, and thought, ok, how can I chill the water going from the faucet to the fan?

Well GS Engineers and Rednecks with Ingenuity. How do we chill the water as it passes from the faucet to the fan?

Well, if you had a refrigerator you could install a really long piece of copper coil inside the fridge and pipe the water through the copper while the fridge is plugged in and set to lowest temp setting. Add a hose hookup on the inlet and outlet and it becomes a rolling portable water cooler for a mister. The longer the copper coil inside the longer it will stay cold. Depends on the amount of misters and flow rate as to whether or not the water gets cold from the time it enters until it exits the fridge.

Just an idea I kinda thought up on the spot. But I bet it would work. Kinda fits the redneck ingenuity box. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just need an old keg setup where the coils are in a cooler you dump ice on. I've got one in the garage taking up space but it's not mine

Comment

A guy I know, who had a BBQ joint, for a while, had a system rigged up that worked very well. He found some kit on the internet I think Amazon, that is basically some plastic tubing and adaptors to connect to a water hose. I think it was intended for watering/misting plants in a greenhouse. It is just some plastic tubing with small holes in the tubing. He made a cheap frame, out of PVC tubing. He made the frame about 8 ft. tall, square. Then zip tied the plastic tubing to the PVC frame. Then he turns the water on and you have a mister that does a pretty good job of cooling the air. For what he was doing, you did not need to run the water through a cooler. The water does a pretty good job of pulling heat out of the air.
            Kevin was using to cool off, when he took breaks from cooking BBQ. He had a screened in area with two large pits, where he did all his cooking.

If you wanted, you could drill two 1/2" holes below where the lid seals on an ice chest. Then take some 1/2" copper or aluminum tubing coil it up in the ice chest, then run each end of the tubing through one of the two holes you drilled in the ice chest. Then connect a hose from your water hose/garden hose, to one end of the coiled tubing. Then connect another hose to the other end of the coiled tubing, then that would go up to your misting system. It would likely be some pretty cold misting water, if you did it right. Then you could also pack rock salt in the ice, in the ice chest, to get stupid cold water out of your mister. I really don't think you need to go to all that trouble.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-08-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I don't think you need to cool the water. What you're describing is evaporative cooling like the old swamp coolers. When water evaporates, it takes a lot of heat with it. Works better in low humidity environments. I am an engineer for about one more year. Then I'm retired.

My grandparents had one on the back porch in Corsicana & it worked good.
              Last edited by Monark; 05-08-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X