Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Texans42;16233490]
    Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Absolutely, I signed a lease for few of them. Hasnt come to fruition because TX pulled out. With that said there is nothing legally I can farm and make same money. In my area they would even out pay natural gas royalties. Irrigated corn, alfalfa, barley, wheat, cotton or beans can’t even gross same amount per acre. Obama killed the pivot corner CRP programs, so from a diversification stand point I’d be stupid not to put some in my pivot corners

I understand the recreational land owners distaste, my best friend ranch neighbor was first one to get the them in McCulloch. With Wind turbines across the fence He sold that ranch and still almost tripled his money . Private property rights are just that. At one point do you restrict your neighbor? When you are tired of dust from his plowing? His ag barns? His pre-conditioning lot? His calves balling all night, giant tractors and implements in front yard, Etc

Are wind turbines a scam, yes at Pres. Trumps energy cost level, current levels it’s debatable. Regardless it’s a diversity program that greatly offsets Mother Nature, and as long as the reclaimation bond is set adequately you don’t have much risk.
    Thanks for the response. I am glad you agree that is is a scam. By the way, one MY taxes help pay for. I think natural gas is clean, available and puts millions of Texans to work.
    If I farmed, I might be of the same opinion.
    We are small recreational ranch owners and will never make any real money from the land. I own land in the country to get away from anything man-made. Traffic noise, billboards, light pollution, etc.
    I have owned property since ‘85 and didn’t buy it to make money. Traded that ranch for this one ‘cause it backs up to my retirement home.

Signing out. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Agreed. But all birds and small game are affected. “Wildlife”.
      Especially on that 2,500!
      Yes 100%, solar is very rough environmentally. I was just talking from a WT population

Comment

Payments are typically a formula of the Megawatt generating capacity of the windmill Times a $/MW.

For example if you have a 2.5 MW windmill, and your contracts states you get $4500/MW in years 1-5 of your wind contract, you would get 2.5 X $4500 ($11,250/year) as your minimum payment per wind turbine. The $/MW escalates over time (typically 2% annually, or jumps up every 5 years on a fixed schedule to try and account for inflation)

These are usually called "minimum" payments, and are typically guaranteed.

Most wind contracts also account for additional royalty payments if the wind project revenue exceeds a certain amount, however I have never heard of anyone getting anything more than the guaranteed minimums.
        Last edited by walker1983; 05-25-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

[quote=Big pig;16233566]
          Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Thanks for the response. I am glad you agree that is is a scam. By the way, one MY taxes help pay for. I think natural gas is clean, available and puts millions of Texans to work.
          If I farmed, I might be of the same opinion.
          We are small recreational ranch owners and will never make any real money from the land. I own land in the country to get away from anything man-made. Traffic noise, billboards, light pollution, etc.
          I have owned property since ‘85 and didn’t buy it to make money. Traded that ranch for this one ‘cause it backs up to my retirement home.

Signing out. Carry on.

End of the day, I’m not ever voting to restrict what you can do with your land. Wither you want to turn it into a 24x7 gun range, condos, pumping station, dirt bike race track or feedlot, etc doesn’t matter it’s your land. I have zero business what you do on the other side of the fence.

Comment

I am normally against all restrictions on a property owners rights. It would be a tough call for me to not vote for a zoning law against turbines. Neighbor got a farm coming up & I hate having to look at the POS's.

Comment

Solar Panels

Freaking Solar Panels co. are taking up every thing around here. All the farmers had to pack and leave and our roads are getting torn to pieces with all the crap there hauling in here 7 days a week. Now they have come out and said they cannot get certain parts in and are laying people off and it might be the end of the year before they can get the parts. Oh and they are still looking for more land to lease or buy.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
                Freaking Solar Panels co. are taking up every thing around here. All the farmers had to pack and leave and our roads are getting torn to pieces with all the crap there hauling in here 7 days a week. Now they have come out and said they cannot get certain parts in and are laying people off and it might be the end of the year before they can get the parts. Oh and they are still looking for more land to lease or buy.
                They are worthless as turbines ,but at least they don't screw up the views & endanger birds etc. For sure they still destroy the enviroment for wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  So mega barns, condos, high rises, or off shore oil platforms are ok but not turbines.

I get it’s a massive foot print in comparison to oil and gas but it’s still property rights regardless of subsidies.

In all honesty it’s probably the best tool currently against fragmentation of larger ranches.

I as long as the reclaimation bond is good, I don’t see an issue with them from a landowner perspective. It’s probably the best preservation tool
                  Out there. CRP, Crop, Hunting, Range, etc nothing in the surface touches it’s financially
                  Im guessing you sold out and used this to justify it? To answer your question, I would not be happy about any of those going into a rural setting, but none of those even compare to a 80,000 acre wind farm with 800 ft turbines.

Comment

Wind Turbine Farm - Fannin Co Landowners / Residents

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
                    They are in the process of installing them (panels) right outside of San Angelo heading towards Christoval. So, good bad or indifferent, they are popping up more and more every day. I think, I would rather have them than the windmills due to the visibility. I don't know, there is a give and take on both. I do know the view is quite different looking across the landscape. We see ugly arse windmills and others see $$$. I know landowners may be in need of the $$ and hate them but keep them for the $$ and others do not care, it's all about the $$. Either way, here they come!

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                      Payments are typically a formula of the Megawatt generating capacity of the windmill Times a $/MW.

For example if you have a 2.5 MW windmill, and your contracts states you get $4500/MW in years 1-5 of your wind contract, you would get 2.5 X $4500 ($11,250/year) as your minimum payment per wind turbine. The $/MW escalates over time (typically 2% annually, or jumps up every 5 years on a fixed schedule to try and account for inflation)

These are usually called "minimum" payments, and are typically guaranteed.

Most wind contracts also account for additional royalty payments if the wind project revenue exceeds a certain amount, however I have never heard of anyone getting anything more than the guaranteed minimums.
                      The farm I worked on gave the LO’s 2 options, receive a set yearly amount or gamble and get a percentage of the production of the turbine. We had a LO that would drive up to the turbine every time we would shut it down for maintenance or repairs. He would ask how long it was going to take and that we needed to get “his” turbine back up and running ASAP. He was a major pain in the azz, it kinda made me happy when one of the turbines on his land had a bad blade bearing and was down for months….

Comment

Working...
                      X