Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator control IMO should be @ a happy medium
    Unless people are willing to support artificial carrying capacity of deer
    Right now out west we have a over abundance of deer and drought conditions + a low level of coyotes, but high other predators.
    Mother Nature is a ***** , but it’s all about carrying capacity

Comment

There was studied done in Florida where they tagged some does and tracked their fawns for 12 weeks. On one area they removed coyotes while the other area they didn't.
      Coyotes killed 74% of the fawns that died to predation, while 16% were killed by Bobcats. The rest were fire ants. The survivable rate in coyote controlled area was 50%, while only 25% fawn survived in coyote's area.

Comment

They don't have any problems killing full grown axis at the house I know that. One year they killed around 20 fallow fawns. Don't know if the numbers are true but they can do some damage no doubt.

Comment

Coyotes eat a lot of fawns, obviously. But if every female coyote killed 19 fawns every spring, there wouldn't be any deer left.

Comment

Nope no way

Comment

Yeah I'm not buying those numbers.

Comment

Doesn't really matter what the numbers are. Nature generally takes care of itself. Supply and demand on a scale we don't control. The only time numbers get really out of balance is when humans interfere.

Comment

Per how many acres is my question, coyotes can range a long ways.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    Per how many acres is my question, coyotes can range a long ways.

What difference does it make how many acres of land they travel to feed their young? Do you think 19 is accurate or not?

Comment

When I was running sheep a couple of years ago the coyotes would give me the illusion that I had gotten them somewhat under control through various means and then bam- May 15th through June my lamb crop would just get decimated by coyotes. So my lambs likely saved some fawns.... you're welcome!

Comment

Couple years ago a buddy dug up a den, it had the remains of 10-12 fawns in it.

Comment

You can rid a place of coyotes with Xylitol

Comment

Statistically you can accumulate data however you’d like and statistically make your statistics show what you want them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                              You can rid a place of coyotes with Xylitol
                              How? Will it harm other animals?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                                Statistically you can accumulate data however you’d like and statistically make your statistics show what you want them to.
                                Can you provide poof of this statement with a high statistical degree of confidence?

Comment

Working...
                                X