No announcement yet.

Colorado ELK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO is certainly an experience. We got out early on our 2nd day there and the number of headlights heading in at daybreak look like duck boats racing into the WMA's. It was crazy.

We ran into 7 different people in one day, 4 of which were super friendly and helpful and 3 that told us that we could go hunt the next drain over because they were going to take this one......comical since 1)we were there first 2) its public land. We took the other drain since we hadn't hunted it and wouldn't you know that they bumped 3 elk our direction

All that being said......we are headed back in September and feel much more confident in our ability to get within bow range after all that we learned last year

Comment

Heath we drew on leftover tags two years ago, one in our group drew on the third leftover drawing. Get a bear tag too, only $100 if you have an elk tag. Lesson learned buy bear tag prior to archery season or you will have to drive to Arbuckles 40 miles from Pagosa, to buy tag from Game and Fish office. As others have said lots of people!

Comment

I always hear people say Colorado otc is crowded , sure there are lots of people at the trailheads . But I’m my experience over a 5 year period , my brother and I have never ran into anyone . We always see elk ,killing then is a different deal all together but I would say do it man . People take the path of least resistance go the opposite way !.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          78 is now a draw archery unit but usually has left overs but you will have to get on them quick. I grew up in 78. Great uni

2/3 rifle are still OTC. Also get a bear tag
          Do you mind elaborating on how to g.eat a left over tag? Are there second draws or are they sold OTC?? Is sold OTC I would assume they would be first come first serve??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Do you mind elaborating on how to g.eat a left over tag? Are there second draws or are they sold OTC?? Is sold OTC I would assume they would be first come first serve??
            Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CO replaced the Leftover draw with the Secondary draw and now they just publish leftover tags first come first serve after that for anything that doesn't run out in the Secondary draw.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CO replaced the Leftover draw with the Secondary draw and now they just publish leftover tags first come first serve after that for anything that doesn't run out in the Secondary draw.
              Correct.
              Pedernal, draw tags do go OTC, first come first serve, in Aug after the first & secondary draws are over.
              "OTC" tags in the general sense are available anytime between the first draw and opening day of season most of the time, and can be bought in person or online.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Correct.
                Pedernal, draw tags do go OTC, first come first serve, in Aug after the first & secondary draws are over.
                "OTC" tags in the general sense are available anytime between the first draw and opening day of season most of the time, and can be bought in person or online.
                Thanks for the info fellas! Health permitting and the Good Lord willing I will be up in the mountains hunting this fall. With my limited experience I would like to hunt unit 78 as it’s the only area I know. I failed to put in for a draw so will be trying for the secondary draw or to jump on any left over tags.

I figure if I can’t get a tag in unit 78 I might just try hunting an otc unit else where… Any ideas on OTC units that might be good to scout as a plan b would be highly appreciated. Not asking for gps coordinates or honey hole locations just a general area that will have elk on it…

Comment

Working...
                X