No announcement yet.

Bathroom Remodel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a small 3x3 that had a 24” opening and some ghetto pea green tile when demoed. They wanted drain to remain off center
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
      Just for you GOF….. the drain does not have to be moved to the center, but, if it’s on one end, you will notice water will be visible more because it takes longer to go down the tube from the long side.
      Done these for 45+ years and never argued if a customer wanted it left where it was.
      But also didn’t argue if they were willing to spend an extra $1000.[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Thank you young grasshoppa!

Comment

Bathroom Remodel...

We started a full bathroom remodel on Dec 13. Long story, but finally fired contractor and started over from scratch. Embarrassing work, more mistakes than I could count. Was painful to tear out new tile and flooring, but it was so bad it was the only choice. Almost done with tile now, and going much better. Painful and expensive lessons learned.

Expect everything to take longer than you plan. More than likely you’ll find issues you have to address. Adter two months, I’m ready to have my bathroom finished. Constant dust and construction site in your bedroom isn’t pleasant.
        Last edited by ShoootLow; 02-19-2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I'll post more on my diy thread but you might be able to save some money on a prefab pan (this one was $240 at home depot). They have different drain location options. My wife found all wall tile and floor tile at habitat Restore for $1/ft. Our tile guy charged $1300 to tile floor and shower. We installed our own glass door for < $800. Very happy and almost finished! Wrapping up paint and touch ups today!

Comment

Truth....If you have to watch you tube videos to lay tile, you have no business attempting a bathroom remodel yourself. Your wife won't be happy. You may get away with a pre-fabricated shower pan but you will definitely have to move the drain to match.
            Shower drains are 2" and really do need to be centered for a professional look. I would call a highly recommended tile professional if I were you.
            Here's some pics of my remodel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by bakin7005; 02-20-2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

We need a remodel of our bathroom in Richmond, if there’s any TBH’ers local.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion I caused. I am hoping to understand if there is any opportunity to save money by doing anything myself. The most obvious is demo. I thought tile could be simple enough after watching a bunch of how to videos. I built my shed completely off watching YouTube videos, all but electric which my dad is a 44 year licensed electrician. Two different animals, but just to give you an idea of what I could be capable of.

And I will leave with this...if it is related to the water and an improper job would cause water damage, I am fine leaving it to the experts. Based on responses it sounds like tile is harder than it seems, so I may lean on the pros.

Comment

Ummm…?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We don't use the tub and my wife stores her fan there haha.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      We don't use the tub and my wife stores her fan there haha.
                      Lol. That splains it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                        Just for you GOF….. the drain does not have to be moved to the center, but, if it’s on one end, you will notice water will be visible more because it takes longer to go down the tube from the long side.
                        Done these for 45+ years and never argued if a customer wanted it left where it was.
                        But also didn’t argue if they were willing to spend an extra $1000.[emoji51]

This. ^^^^^

I've been doing repairs, new construction, and remodels on $50k-1.5mil houses for 32 yrs.

It's much easier now with pan liner methods.. All you need is a drain and to provide slope to the drain. I prefer a dbl 2x curb to give tolerance if the drain should become blocked/impeded.

I've done one mud set remodel where the drain was directly under the valves and shower heads. It was a 6'x8' open entry stone wall design. Based on the customer's redesigned bathroom layout, best option was to work in a channel drain against that shower wall. The finished look was as clean as it gets. Floor pattern uninterrupted. Customer loved it.

Comment

Bathroom Remodel...

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          Sorry for any confusion I caused. I am hoping to understand if there is any opportunity to save money by doing anything myself. The most obvious is demo. I thought tile could be simple enough after watching a bunch of how to videos. I built my shed completely off watching YouTube videos, all but electric which my dad is a 44 year licensed electrician. Two different animals, but just to give you an idea of what I could be capable of.

And I will leave with this...if it is related to the water and an improper job would cause water damage, I am fine leaving it to the experts. Based on responses it sounds like tile is harder than it seems, so I may lean on the pros.

I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again…..
                          Construction is not rocket science, BUT, not everyone can do it right.
                          I always told my clients, “ if you try to do it yourself and screw it up after you call me to bid it, the price just doubled or tripled.”

Comment

Okkkkk i had a day off today so went with the misses to floor and decor aka the costco of tile. Bought some samples. In my head I had things looking a certain way before we got there. Once we were there though we found out they have a free design team. The poor weather meant their appointments were canceled so we got in with someone and dang, I like where this is headed. Wife and I will talk it out tonight...I will post up some pics of the possible tiles we are going to consider.

Comment

48 hours later and after paperwork has been filed and then redacted, we landed on this set up.

Truth be told it was fun picking the stuff out. We were on the same page for most of the choices and compromising was abundant. We decided on a French drain, I got the marble floor I wanted and gave up the full bench for a triangle cutout and a long niche. I will start demo soon but leave the other stuff to the professionals.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats a preview of just the shower...we decided an accent wall with the other two walls being more neutral. Not changing the countertop, thus we went with the accent wall to help match it all, since it's brown. I am predicting the wife will want a new countertop after a few months.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X