Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishing tips for the non-fly fisherman(SW Colorado)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing tips for the non-fly fisherman(SW Colorado)

Doing a 2 week RV trip to SW Colorado starting July 4th weekend. We will be near Great Sand Dunes, Vallecito, Durango, and Mesa Verde. If anyone has any suggestions for fishing creeks/rivers/lakes in these areas, I'm all ears. I've never fished up there and do not have fly gear. I do have spinning gear and can throw some pretty light stuff. A buddy of mine who lived in New Mexico for a long time and traveled all over that region said he always did well on worms under a bobber. If it's that simple, I'm in luck. LOL. Anyway, any advice some of you travelled folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sonny

Load up on spinner baits. You can catch almost anything around. Heck, I always used a swivel to change them out easier.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
      Load up on spinner baits. You can catch almost anything around. Heck, I always used a swivel to change them out easier.
      Inline spinners? Like Mepps style? Or Strike King bass style? I assume the former. LOL
      Last edited by HUNTNETIME; 06-27-2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
        Inline spinners? Like Mepps style? Or Strike King bass style?
        Yes, inline spinners work good for trout. Mepps/Rooster Tail, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
          Inline spinners? Like Mepps style? Or Strike King bass style? I assume the former. LOL
          In line spinners, panther martins, mepps, rooster tails. Also, small rapala’s

Comment

Stop at Deer lakes on the road to lake city. We caught a ton. Good gravel road and also has a big old moose go swimming in front of us. Also, twin lakes.

Comment

In addition to inline spinners, small spoons like Super Duper and Dardevle work well too.

Comment

Power bait all the way. You'll catch 3 times as many fish as any other guy out there as long as it is allowed. Can also free line it and let it float and recast.

Comment

We catch rainbows in Branson off of shrimp

Comment

Be aware that different drainages have different regs. Catch and release, no barbs, arties only, etc.

Comment

Most trout are stupid..Take inline spinners, spoons and if you want to fly fish a couple random flies (hoppers, san juan worms and streamers) As a past tournament bass fisherman, I giggle when people talk about trout fishing..

Comment

Sculpins for live bait. Salmon eggs, worms, Berkley powerbait.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                          Most trout are stupid..Take inline spinners, spoons and if you want to fly fish a couple random flies (hoppers, san juan worms and streamers) As a past tournament bass fisherman, I giggle when people talk about trout fishing..
                          Big trout in famous waters can be tough except when they are on the redds. Stocker or small trout in small creeks and ponds aren’t tough.

Comment

Gold Kastmaster spoon in 1/8 oz. Also Rainbow Trout colored Kastmaster spoon 2/8 oz. if you can find one. The Kastmaster casts like a bullet. I have caught rainbows, cut throats and browns on them.

The Acme Kastmaster spoon is one of the best lures for trout fishing. Learn all the different ways you can use a Kastmaster to catch trout in all water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Panther Martin spinners, depending on flow you may need a couple of sizes, #2 and #4 are what I use most up here.
                              The Panther Martin Pro Guide Anywhere Six pack for trout in size 2 would be good for smaller streams and lakes.
                              The other lures mentioned above are good for bigger lakes, Kast masters and Dardevles.
                              You can pinch the barbs down if barbless is required.

Watch for regs on bait, lots of waters are artificial flies or lures only.

Comment

Working...
                              X