Leases Without Water/Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leases Without Water/Electric

What do you guys do who have a place without water or electricity? Our lease search has brought us to a very good place as far as the property goes. Good STX brush, plenty water, good quality deer heard, etc... The issue is there is no water or electricity on the place. We have the campers and we already have a pump so we could get a big water tank to haul out there, but I'm curious to hear what you guys do who lease property like this. Hoping I can get some ideas to help me justify getting on the place.

Generator

Comment

We brought in water in 55 gallon drums & used generators.

Comment

Yup. Generators and large cans/barrels/totes for water.

Comment

I have three six gallon water cans that I bring every trip. I dump them in the fresh water holding tank. That usually keeps the tank topped off. If I need more I bring the water cans with me when I go to town to get what we forgot to bring. It never fails we forget something. We use paper plates and plastic utensils so that keeps dish washing down. We also take quick showers to limit water use. It really doesn't take much water if you pay attention to what your doing. For electricity we have a 3500 inverter generator from harbor freight. We go through about 7 gallons of gas a weekend. If we are running the a/c it takes about 10.

Comment

A big tank dropped on location is worthless without a second big tank of equal size to bring water out to fill it up. I’d guess the easiest thing to do would be the drums filled up and left on a trailer because getting a full drum off a trailer of truck bed is pretty dang hard. It would be very heavy. I carry a 30 gal tank to the lease and fill it up at the land owners house. It’s last several trips for showers and a few dishes

Comment

Is there a power line that crosses the place? If so, you can call the co-op and get a meter loop installed, which most landowners would probably agree to if you were willing to pay for it.

If not, I would get an inverter generator - but they are a huge pain.

As far as water - does the property have any water wells? You can run a poly line from a water well to a 1000 gallon poly tank, and draw from there for your campers.

If I was looking at a place w/o water or electrical - I would certainly have a line of site into how to get it to my camp area.

Comment

We have water on the ranch just not at camp, I have a 330 gallon tote on a small trailer. I fill it up and pump that water into my holding tank on the camper and use the pump built into the camper. If you don't have water on the ranch I would buy a big tank and have water hauled in once a year. That way you're not having to mess with hauling water every time you go. For electricity, we use generators. There again, after 9 years of hauling gas and constantly filling it up, I just made a switch to propane. I found an amazing deal on a 150-gallon propane tank and dual fuel generator. No more hauling gas or running out of propane in the camper at 2 am waking up to a freezing camper. I will plumb the big tank to both the generator and camper.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  A big tank dropped on location is worthless without a second big tank of equal size to bring water out to fill it up. I’d guess the easiest thing to do would be the drums filled up and left on a trailer because getting a full drum off a trailer of truck bed is pretty dang hard. It would be very heavy. I carry a 30 gal tank to the lease and fill it up at the land owners house. It’s last several trips for showers and a few dishes
                  You can have potable water hauled in cheap. Tons of people do that when their wells go dry. Fill that big tank once a year and you're done. No more hauling water and you don't have to worry about running out.

Comment

At 55.....Find another lease I can tolerate having to store water.....but electric is a must.

Comment

I was hoping for some wildly creative ideas, but it seems like it just is what it is on a deal like this. lol We're hoping that we will be able to work something out with either water OR electricity on the place. He has both, but just not in this particular pasture.

Comment

Are there windmills near camp? We put two 55 gallon drums on an elevated stand and used windmills to fill them. Then piped that to the camper for water. As for electric, Honda generator is likely your best/quietest solution if you cant get an electric drop installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Plumbing- Hefty bag in the toilet, sit down , do your business, when you’re through, tie a knot in it and throw it out the front door, chunk it in the trash on the way home somewhere. Shower- get a big pot, use propane and heat up water, get in the shower stall with it and take a sponge bath. Did it for years.

Comment

I hunted on a place for a year with no water or electric. We had a 300ish gallon water tote at camp and each of us had a few small potable water barrels that we hauled there when we went. Not really that big of a deal. Had a 12v pump to give enough pressure for the toilet in the trailer to fill, but usually it was easier to just grab a bucket of water to flush than hook up the pump.
                            We used a generator for electricity, but really only ran it at night so we could run AC or heat.

Overall, it wasn't that bad, but also not ideal. I would definitely want the price to reflect the property's deficiencies.

Comment

We had the COOP run the electric for us. When we left the owner of the property did not want to reimburse us for the drop so we took it with us. My buddy bought me out of my portion and used it at his house for his horse barn.

Comment

Working...
                              X