GFCI problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFCI problem

Ok, contractor ran a saw while I was gone this week from my front porch outlet and blew it. We have searched the house 10 times over and can’t find a reset outlet for it. Same circuit as the master bath and all the outlets there are out. There obviously should be a reset outlet in the master bath but there is not. We have 2 in the garage and 1 in the kitchen.

Son of the previous owner claimed to be a pro house flipper and did a 6 month remodel before we bought. I have found lots of really amateur work but I can’t fathom someone could be stupid enough to wall-in an outlet. There must be another answer here.
    Reset all breakers twice now so that is not it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am assuming you looked inside and out for the resets? In the garage outlets also? The reason I am asking one of my gfci resets is in my garage. I have had them kick it off in the main breaker bloc also.

Comment

Something under the bath or kitchen sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In a sofit for Christmas lights?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
          Something under the bath or kitchen sink

This, check closets, upper and lower cabinets, bathroom plug closest to the panel, etc. They could have hid it anywhere.

Comment

Have torn the house apart. I've seen them hidden before so I'm looking everywhere. As stated, there are 2 in the garage but neither work for this circuit. Have not thought about the sofit comment so I'll go look there.

Comment

Check for a GFCI breaker in your load center as well.

How do you know it is a GFCI circuit?
              Last edited by Greenheadless; 06-05-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Attic

Comment

They might have put outlet in ceiling, inside light fixture, up high on wall or another location on outside of house. Maybe near water softener. Maybe it’s not GFCI protected.

Comment

Gfci combined with the 20 amp breaker in your distribution panel. Look there. There will be test and reset buttons on it.

Comment

May sound dumb but have you checked you breakers/fuse box

Comment

I’m a big dummy. Went back to the breaker box for one more run through. Instead of just flipping to on, I pushed the red test to trip and then reclosed on the GFI breakers. That fixed it.

Comment

Not dumb. Glad you found it.

When I did home handyman work I had a homeowner with a gfci outlet in a hallway tripping- pretty random. Turned out somebody put one there to connect to the load side for a sump pump. The pump motor connection had a small leak, tripping it.

Live and learn.

Go shoot your bow.

Comment

Well, you just cheated an electrician out of an overtime service call. He could have come out and did the same thing and charged ya $150.00.

Comment

Could be anywhere on any circuit !
                              Will prob be first in line closest to panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X