Educate me- estate sale multiple bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me- estate sale multiple bows

I was a a Memorial Day weekend gun sale at the fairgrounds (I love being retired in Montana!) and there was a fellow with a table full of guns and 2 bows. One an old PSE Nova, the other an old Alpine Archery.

We struck up a conversation about the old bows, and when it became obvious I knew more about archery than he did, he asked me, “I was approached to see and make an offer on an estate sale of a hundred plus bows locally. Compounds, recurves and longbows. Would you like to cone with me this week and tell me what you think because I don’t don’t know enough about archery”.

I said sure, that old compounds don’t hold value like old rifles, and it all depends on what traditional bows are there.

Can anybody give me some general guidelines on pricing on buying that large a bow collection? Without knowing exactly what is there, I realize it’s tough to give specifics.

It might cone down to they just want it out if there to settle an estate.

My wife said “why?” and I told her “maybe I’ll find a 1968-69 Bear 48” Kodiak Magnum with black phenolic riser and while fiberglass layers I passed on when I bought my first bow, a Red Wing Hunter as a kid in 1968”. Or maybe a Howard Hill longbow. Who knows?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start a live thread and post pics of the bows and let the brain trust weigh in on the value of the collection as you sift through it.

Comment

Thanks for idea. That would be really difficult if not impossible to do.

Comment

Give them 25 each for the trad bows and help them toss most of the compounds in the dump. I’d assume most will be trad bows since it take up a lot of space for a large collection of compounds.

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Yep those old compounds are all crap. I hate my 2007 Alpine Archery Silverado almost as much as my 2001 F-250.

Comment

You can get an idea off archerytalk.com also. Old bear recurves hold a value for collectors. Keep your phone handy and go off and look up the ones in better shape. Check to see if limbs are straight, if not pass on them. Use your judgement, if you are smart enough to do all that nice work on your house, you can handle a few bows.

Comment

I agree on old compounds. I love my 01 RAM- I’m on my second one and if my engine needed serious work, I think I’d get a new engine and drive it another quarter million miles.

It’s Tuesday and I haven’t heard from him BTW.

Comment

Bowsite- Leatherwall would be able to help. You'll have to register to post.

I bet there might be some nice, old bamboo longbows in there with a Bear or two.

Comment

He wasn’t able to connect with whoever was selling. To be continued.

Comment

Working...
                    X