Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bought strangers mounts for your wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone bought strangers mounts for your wall?

I often see mounts for sale and sometimes the cost is about as much as I’d spend getting one mounted. My house is almost wall to wall with animals my wife and I have killed. They are personal trophies to me that I can reflect on and remember the fun I had hunting them. I personally can’t imagine buying a mount and hanging it up if I didn’t kill it. I can see businesses buying them simply to decorate their establishment. Have any of y’all actually bought an animal mount you didn’t kill and displayed it in your home, office, man cave, etc.? If so, why? Not judging just looking for other perspectives from folks who do this.

I’m in the same boat as you, don’t understand having someone else’s mount up in your house/man cave/other location unless it a mount passed down by family or a Jackalope or something.

Comment

If I didn’t kill it then I wouldn’t display it. The personal memory and story are the biggest reasons to display something for me

Comment

I agree completely, it's like wearing a belt buckle that you didn't win yourself.

Comment

I've got a couple that were close family member's, but none from strangers. Don't mean much to me unless I killed it. Kinda reminds me of the guys that buy duck bands so they can show off to the rest of the part timers.
          Last edited by jdg13; 05-19-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I did "get" some mule deer antlers from a fellow TBHr because my wife wanted them for some decor. Still have them hanging proudly on my wall.

I do have some of my own now, but at the time all the doe I had killed were antler less.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Not judging just looking for other perspectives from folks who do this.
              I love that statement! "Perspective" is a word that I have embraced in recent years. It has humbled me many times. It kind of revealed how many times I was judging someone without even attempting to understand their perspective.

So props to you! Reading that statement really encouraged me this morning!

Comment

Like buying used underwear in the classifieds... IMO.

Comment

I will soon. Friend of the family divorced and her husband had left a lot of mounts behind before he moved to south america with his mistress.
                  I would rather hang them than end up in a the city dump. I also wanted to buy a badger mount from a member that looked great. Shipping would have killed the deal. Would rather buy that nice badger mount than send one to taxi and come back looking like poo.

Comment

Also, I buy fish at the HEB that I didn't catch.

Comment

I feel the same as you Jeff. I do have a couple that my Dad gave me but all the rest are trophies that I killed that are special to me. Other than for business decoration, I would never buy someone else's mount for display personally. No big deal if others do..

Comment

What about picking up sheds of deer you did not kill? Just a thought.....

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                          What about picking up sheds of deer you did not kill? Just a thought.....

You found them...you picked them up. Sounds like they are yours to do with as you please..

Comment

Not really a stranger...but I got my grandpa's deer mounts that he shot in Hearne and Del-Rio. They mean a lot to me. Its amazing that the one he shot in Hearne in the 60's is a little 10" basket six ....but that was a trophy back then. So much he had it mounted.
                            Last edited by Man; 05-19-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Only one of my Grandpas.

Comment

Working...
                              X