Coyote trapping/ new traps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote trapping/ new traps.

It’s been at least 20 years since I’ve ran traps. I bought some new ones and need to know what to do to get them trap ready. All my old traps were giving to me. I’ve never had brand new ones. I believe i need to boil them? Any info, help, advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give 'em a good bath in Dawn then put them out to rust a bit before dyeing. You need to get the manufacturing oil off of them.
    Then a low simmer in your trap dye of choice, don't boil them.
    We have to wax due to the cold but you may not, not until winter at least.

You probably need longer chains on them.
    4 coiled can be nice too but not necessary, adding 2 more coil springs.
    Look into night latching them if they are not already.

We run a few Bridgers too, nice traps.

Comment

What wytex said is a great way to go. I’m doing the Rustoleum rust inhibitor dip and then after 2 weeks a dip in bulletproof trap dip. The ol dye and wax though is a proven varmint getting method.

I get all my supplies here but there are others.
      Browse through a huge selection of trapping baits, lures, and more at F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post! Find the hunting bait you're looking for here.
      Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-11-2022, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Good traps..
        Simmer them in water and a little dawn(removes oils), let hem dry well, dip them in a mixture of half mineral spirits and have rustoleum primer, let dry and then fine tune them.

Or you can just use them. I've caught critters in brand new, out of the box, traps.

Comment

YouTube search ManagementAdvantage, Predator Trapping Prep!! The videos are from three years ago but they are very informative. Some of the videos have Robert Waddell.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to order dye

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info and the link. I’ve got the dye ordered and already have Dawn soap. I hope to get back to trapping coyotes ASAP

Comment

Lots of great info here as well

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Been reading on this all morning. Thanks

Comment

You can use natural things like walnut hulls and leaves for dye too.

Some guys on this forum have coyote trapping down it looks like to me, take their advice and following along on their trapping threads.

Mainly get the oil off the traps with the Dawn simmer.

Check your swivels too and make sure the j hooks are closed up all the way.

You might want to but a catch pole just in case you need to release something or you catch a bobcat, no blood on dispatch with the catch pole.

Comment

I rinsed the oil off mine and used Full Metal Jacket dip. Really easy process.

Comment

I usually try to modify my bridgers. I will tack weld a nail to the dog and night latch the pan. It's not necessary but it helps save time in the field when they get bent up.

Comment

Looks like night latching them is the way to go. I didn’t even know what that was back when I use to trap.

Comment

I had never heard of night latching either until a few years ago.
                            Very common up here though and it does make things much easier in the field.

Comment

Wash, let rust a bit, dip, hang dry, then dip in hot wax and hang without touching. Should be good for a while.
                              Don’t forget stakes

Comment

Working...
                              X