Question about pellet smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Pitt Boss pellet cooker. Cooking baby backs and want to set it on 250 for 4 hours - I set it on 250 but the actual temperature varies from 200-300 with out me touching it. Why would it not hold a steady temperature? Thanks for input

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
    I have a Pitt Boss pellet cooker. Cooking baby backs and want to set it on 250 for 4 hours - I set it on 250 but the actual temperature varies from 200-300 with out me touching it. Why would it not hold a steady temperature? Thanks for input
    Is it an older model? The newer ones with wi-fi hold temps a lot better than the old ones. Mine is usually within 5-10°.

Comment

I had a PB 1000 series from Academy for about a year and a half. What you’re describing is pretty much my only gripe, temp variation. Mine would swing 20° either way consistently and I never found a solution to it. My younger brother had an 820 series from Academy as well, his temp swings were more drastic similar to what you’re getting. They’d even go 100° over the setting regularly.

We never found a solution for that grill either. Both of us moved on to a different brand, along with our youngest brother buying one of the same we have, and no issues since. It seems like they may have had a bad run of parts manufacturing but who knows.

Hope you get it lined out.

Comment

See if it’s possible to upgrade the board on it.

Comment

Wow, first time I have read any issues with Pitt Boss……good to know.

Comment

Mine swings 20-40 def normally, I have the 820. The less wind that gets on it and the warmer outside it is the better it does. They make insulation blankets for them but you could also use some old moving blankets. I’ve also found my temp probe that is controlling the unit is off, I’ve put various other probes all around the barrel and the controlling probe against the wall nearest the hopper tends to run 20-25 deg lower than the rest.

The way I see it, we get what we pay for. My cousin and brother both have Traeger and their’s tend to not swing as much.

Cleaning the controlling temp probe and cleaning the ash out of the fire box before each cook have yielded my best and most consistent results.

Comment

25 degree swings are normal. Mine runs the best after a good cleaning of the fire pot and cleaning the temp probe

Comment

Mine holds 10 or 12° unless it real windy and cold.

Comment

I have an older pit boss, which now stays at the ranch, and a RecTec, which is at home. The old pit boss has big temp swings but still turns out good meat. The RecTec doesn’t fluctuate more than a couple degrees. I’m a firm believer in the old adage “you get what you pay for”.

Comment

Mine is around a year old - it is the combo of a grill with the pellet cooker side by side. There is an air adjustment between the two - I wonder it that could be causing the fluctuation? Mine will go back and forth between 200 and 300 degrees

Comment

My treager is usually around 5 degrees of what i set it at

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                        Mine is around a year old - it is the combo of a grill with the pellet cooker side by side. There is an air adjustment between the two - I wonder it that could be causing the fluctuation? Mine will go back and forth between 200 and 300 degrees

I’ve noticed the weather definitely plays a role in how mine holds temps. When it’s calm winds mine seems to do exactly what I ask. I also think it has to do with the quality of pellets used.

Few things you might try:

Clean it really well

Upgrade the board on it

Put it somewhere out of the wind

A 20degree swing won’t hurt at all. But 50 sure could . Might also try putting a thermometer in the center back side of the rack and seeing if it shows that’s swing the smoker is showing I bet it’s not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Dmcgee; 03-04-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I would call pit boss my cuz had some problems and they helped over phone and sent new parts free...his is 3/4 y old...,Mine is 2/3y and other than his issue thats only problem/complaint we had between the 2 of up...And pit boss took care of him Quick

Comment

I had an older 820 D and had the same problem, called Pitboss and they sent a new probe under warranty, that mounts inside the smoker. Once replaced it held a 25 deg differential. The probes are pretty cheap if it isn't under warranty. I would start there and if that doesn't work I would replace or upgrade the board as mentioned previously. And keep her clean!

I now have the 1000 pro and haven't had any issues with it holding temps the last couple years.

Comment

I have a REc Teq, No temps swings at all. Maybe look at a new control board?

Comment

Working...
                              X