Help with saltwater Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with saltwater Rod

Looking for a LONG casting rod... Casting good sized poppers and buck tails as far as possible... Got a good reel now looking for a solid rod... Preferably like 3 piece, two at a minimum...

Looking for SOLID and usable but on a working man budget

Let me clarify... It's a SPINNING ROD, but for casting... Not tight lining off the beach

I have used and liked the Okuma Longitude CX , it’s a 12’ two piece line wt. 20-40 and lure wt 3-8 oz. I have had this for about 5 years I guess and it’s held up very well.

Comment

That is not my kind of fishing but I know Nick at Breakaway Tackle use to have a lineup of rods for surf fishing. It would be worth a look to see.

Comment

What size plugs are you talking as far as weight? Do you have a length in mind? Too long and you will wear yourself out in a matter of an hour or so depending on what you are casting at. Blind casting or sight casting at bait movement or feeding fish.

Personally I would not go over probably 2-3 oz baits and a 9' Rod. I am pariah to the Tica rods or Offshore angler from Bass Pro.

Comment

I bought some Temple Fork rods for bay fishing this year and really like them. Tactical Inshore.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
            I bought some Temple Fork rods for bay fishing this year and really like them. Tactical Inshore.
            Too short... Those are basically bass rods

Comment

You wanting a surf rod?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                What size plugs are you talking as far as weight? Do you have a length in mind? Too long and you will wear yourself out in a matter of an hour or so depending on what you are casting at. Blind casting or sight casting at bait movement or feeding fish.

Personally I would not go over probably 2-3 oz baits and a 9' Rod. I am pariah to the Tica rods or Offshore angler from Bass Pro.
                Probably, 1.5-2 mostly

Comment

You looking for one of those long surf spinning poles with shallow braided spool spinning rigs they cast off the pacific rocky coast?

Comment

I am a fan of St. Croix rods but im not too sure if they have a rod for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                      Probably, 1.5-2 mostly
                      I would be looking at a Phenix in the 9ft range.
                      What exactly are you planning on doing?
                      From a boat, from the beach, from a pier?

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        Too short... Those are basically bass rods
                        Here's a surf rod I have. 10.5 ft. Salt X Tsunami. They have other spec rods as well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lamiglas makes a bunch of surf rods too. They make some pretty nice rods and usually have a wide range of price levels.

Over 60 years of dedication to the surfcasting community. Surfcasters are a unique breed of fisherman. They put in long, sleepless nights, expose themselves to some of the harshest weather conditions, and are probably harder on their gear than anyone else on the water. This is why for over 60 years surfcasters have rel

Comment

Carolina Cast Pro in 12ft length
                            3-7 oz bait rating

Super light weight blanks and Tommy Farmer knows casting - he holds the USA long distance records - several.

I build my surf rod blanks on his bare bones blanks. I own a pair of these 3-7 oz 12 footers, and both, can rip 170 yards casts - casting 5 ounces of lead on a bait casting magnetic cast control super free setup bait casting reel.

Spinning reel - shouldn't have any problem ripping casts well over 120 yards with a properly sized and leader loaded reel, setup to handle the pressure blasting casts with full power and technique to hit 150 plus yards consistenly.

These blanks do that for me.

The bottom custom surf rod in this photo, is my 3-7oz 12ft CCP setup. Reel is an AKIOS 7000 with magnets and cast brake blocks (fully castable customizable).

The blanks above the CCP, one is a RAINSHADOW/BATSON middle and the top is a heavy LAMIGLAS.

I have Fenwich, CCP, BATSON, RAINSHADOW as well as the 1970s and 1980s vintage single piece Fenwick glass blanks.

Go to Tommy's YouTube page and watch him rip a 160 plus yard cast, with the 3-7oz 12ft blank.

It was initially setup as a 3-6oz blank - here's testing of that blank when Tommy mentions it can fling 7. So the blank became a 3-7 oz setup instead of this first run prototype listed as 3-6.

Here's Tommy, casting a bit over 5 ounces, nearly 160yards with this same blank, as it was prototyped years ago.

These blanks are not pendulum cast rated and Tommy is shown here, using the old school plant and cast technique, which is all about technique.

My closing on this blank and it's action - the key to surf rods.

PARABOLIC ACTION in the blank down to just about the lower section of blank. The tip section, has a soft tip, that loads up and stops, with the bottom butt of this blank, a straight piece of graphite, 22 mm wide with zero taper. It's designed like the old Fenwick Graphite/Fiberglass SURFSTIKS of the late 1980s - the rod blank that took long distance casting in the USA to new levels.

Century surf rod blanks in England, are the premiere surf blanks in the world but, they run 800 bucks for a bare graphite blank. They hold the long distance world record for surf rod distance casting.

Been active with surf gear since 1970 - I was raised on the Gulf Coast Fishing Pier in Galveston - literally from 12 - 15 years of age and surf fished with Larry Hack at Hatteras, when Larry once held the USA long distance casting record. He used a Fenwick SurfStick in those days with a custom ABU 7000 - which is now the end result of the AKIOS 7000 (JAPANESE/ENGLISH CO BUILD AND DESIGN) reel, made by AKIOS.

The AKIOS 666 (BEAST) is one hella long distance casting reel but it's pricey and not best with sand.

Nick at Breakaway has some darn good factory gear too - but Tommy beats his pricing with similar performance and Tommy is a YANK, Nick - bless his heart, he's an Englishman

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-02-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                              That is not my kind of fishing but I know Nick at Breakaway Tackle use to have a lineup of rods for surf fishing. It would be worth a look to see.
                              Nick is a surf rod guru!

Comment

Working...
                              X