Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 PM   #51
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Just to clarify... you are saying the reconstituted meat is as good as before, or just not bad? Because I am doubtful looking at the original and comparing it to the final product.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 PM   #52
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just to clarify... you are saying the reconstituted meat is as good as before, or just not bad? Because I am doubtful looking at the original and comparing it to the final product.
I really can't see where "almost' as good as before is an issue if you're starving.
I don't think they're meant to make gourmet meals.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #53
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I haven't done a side-by-side comparison from the same cut of meat (I'll do that soon), but I am saying that if I gave you a (blind) taste of the FD steak, you wouldn't say "hey, this has been FD."

I didn't finish my "but then..." thought yesterday (neighbor's cow got out and I had to play cowboy) but I did another test after my wife got home.

I took a couple of slightly larger and thicker pieces that I had sealed in a mylar meal bag, and wanted to reconstitute it in the bag, again attempting to keep it from getting above the 131 original cook temp.

I heated the stock up to about 150 and then poured it into the mylar bag and sealed it for 15 minutes. I could tell by feel that it was still not fully reconstituted in the middle. The temp of the liquid was somewhere around 100 degrees, so I heated up more and added to the bag. After 25 minutes, I cut into it and it still wasn't fully rehydrated in the center. I ended up putting it in a stock pot for another 20 or so minutes, but I accidentally let the temps get above 130, to around 150. I gave it a taste, and it was clearly tougher than the previous test with a slightly more gamey taste (it was a different cut from a different deer. It never did fully reconstitute until I sliced it lengthwise to expose the very center, and by then it had overcooked. It was edible and, in a pinch, I might be thankful to have it, but it wasn't the same success as the initial test.

As mentioned, I'm going to do another controlled test with another cut to get a solid comparison between FD and non FD steak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #54
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Sort of sounds like FD venison should be processed into smallish pieces rather than a real steak cut for ease and speed of reconstituting??

Michael, are you vacuum sealing in the Mylar bags or just sealing at atmospheric pressure?
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #55
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Sort of sounds like FD venison should be processed into smallish pieces rather than a real steak cut for ease and speed of reconstituting??

Michael, are you vacuum sealing in the Mylar bags or just sealing at atmospheric pressure?
For long term emergency storage, small chunks or ground is probably best. That said, I want to experiment to see if it's possible to have a GOOD steak dinner on the trail or river without having to keep meat on ice. Based on the first test, I think it's definitely possible.

I'm sealing the mylar bags using the appropriate size O2 absorber, but not vacuum sealing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #56
Michael
Administrator

Default I Bought a Freeze Dryer - Harvest Right

The O2 absorbers do a pretty good job of sucking the bags down, similar to vacuum sealing but without crushing the contents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #57
Michael
Administrator

Here's a video I put together of the first part of my venison test...

Old 06-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #58
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Very well done Michael! ...especially true for a one camera video! Multiple cameras on the counter top and stove would give you great flexibility of presentation rather than moving the subject around to view on the single camera...
Content-wise, you got me wanting to try this too!! Like you, my mind is going a mile a minute now... It's garden season so... veggies, Fishin' time, so fish, complete processing at deer camp, possibilities are endless!

Thanks for taking the time to create this!
Old 06-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #59
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Very well done Michael! ...especially true for a one camera video! Multiple cameras on the counter top and stove would give you great flexibility of presentation rather than moving the subject around to view on the single camera...
Content-wise, you got me wanting to try this too!! Like you, my mind is going a mile a minute now... It's garden season so... veggies, Fishin' time, so fish, complete processing at deer camp, possibilities are endless!

Thanks for taking the time to create this!
Thanks Charlie. I've kind of reverted back to a "simpler" approach to video production because I've found that I'm less likely to start a new video if I have to do a bunch of setup ahead of time (or a lot of post production workflow after.) I think you're right, though, and I'll probably add a second camera (and a small fill light) to future, similar videos.

I'm going to do a batch of fish soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #60
Michael
Administrator

I just pulled some banana chips, sweet potato chips and mashed sweet potatoes.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #61
Michael
Administrator

I did another quick load of candy. I’ve found that candy batches are quick, so when I don’t have time for a “normal” 24+ hour batch (like when we leave for a weekend), the candy makes a good filler. Plus, my kids and grandbaby love them!

Old 06-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #62
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I know you mentioned the possibility of having a real stake type meal on the trail without the need for ice as one of you goals. A side from that, what are your over all thoughts as far as just having something to store food in case of a prolonged food shortage? Obviously it’s a lot bigger expense over canning and dehydration, but in your opinion is it worth the expense??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #63
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
I know you mentioned the possibility of having a real stake type meal on the trail without the need for ice as one of you goals. A side from that, what are your over all thoughts as far as just having something to store food in case of a prolonged food shortage? Obviously it’s a lot bigger expense over canning and dehydration, but in your opinion is it worth the expense??

Honestly, I think the fastest ROI (return on investment) will be for those who are primarily using a home freeze dryer for long term emergency food storage. It’s probably also easiest to forecast and measure.

The demand for and price of bulk freeze dried foods has increased significantly post Covid. As an example, a #10 can (780g) of Auguson Farms ground beef currently retails for $65 on Amazon. Similarly, 540g of diced chicken is $60 and 525g pulled pork is $65.

As of today, I’ve FD about 4000g of meat (venison, chicken and pork) in the last 3-4 weeks. That equates to over $400 worth of the bulk canned meats (and that doesn’t begin to account for quality and nutrition differences.) I’ve also FD 1500 additional grams of fruits, veggies, milk and eggs.

Note that almost all of the meats I’ve FD so far have been other than store bought (the pork was leftover from a work event I cooked for), so I haven’t incurred or accounted for additional cost of the ingredients in this example.

The significant differences in nutrition retention and shelf life of FD foods are also advantages for FD over traditional canning and dehydration. (I do think having a pressure canner (AND a large inventory of jars/lids) is a good plan in case of extended power outages where running a freezer (or freeze dryer) on a generator may not be an option. )

If I was purely planning for only long term food storage, I would consider investing in a FD machine with the goal of freeze drying as much food as I think I’ll need, and then sell it to recoup most (if not all) of the capital investment. Used freeze dryers have retained value pretty well over the last couple of years due to supply/demand. I predict that trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #64
Michael
Administrator

I just finished up a load of fruit, including grapes, blueberries, pineapple and a small batch of leftover watermelon chunks.

This was a 50 hour batch! I knew that these fruits would all take awhile, so I planned it over a weekend where I had other projects and wouldn’t have to (or need to) check on it much.

The grapes and pineapple are fantastic! The watermelon has a great flavor, too. The blueberries are good, but I don’t think they were particularly sweet going in.

I keep bb’s, banana chips, strawberries and now pineapple and grapes in jars on the kitchen counter and find myself snacking on them (and sweet potato chips) more than I do less healthy snacks, or even fresh fruit in the refrigerator.

I have a load of asparagus and cut green beans going in now. Those supposedly also make great, healthy dry snacks.

I’m planning to do a few full meals this week. I’m open to suggestions (think backpacking foods.)

Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #65
Michael
Administrator

I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel discussing some of the reasons why I purchased a freeze dryer. (I used the original post here as a template for the video! )

https://youtu.be/z-RpOiNQIfs

Last edited by Michael; 06-23-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #66
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I just finished up a load of fruit, including grapes, blueberries, pineapple and a small batch of leftover watermelon chunks.

This was a 50 hour batch! I knew that these fruits would all take awhile, so I planned it over a weekend where I had other projects and wouldn’t have to (or need to) check on it much.

The grapes and pineapple are fantastic! The watermelon has a great flavor, too. The blueberries are good, but I don’t think they were particularly sweet going in.

I keep bb’s, banana chips, strawberries and now pineapple and grapes in jars on the kitchen counter and find myself snacking on them (and sweet potato chips) more than I do less healthy snacks, or even fresh fruit in the refrigerator.

I have a load of asparagus and cut green beans going in now. Those supposedly also make great, healthy dry snacks.

I’m planning to do a few full meals this week. I’m open to suggestions (think backpacking foods.)

That all sounds wonderful. For back packing how about chicken thighs in a tomato type sauce ( similar to a picante ). In my military MRE’s there’s a meal like that and I really like it. Or maybe meatballs in sauce, meat loaf, omelette!!!!
Also, before I google it, have you tried fish? Wondering how they would reconstitute
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #67
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
That all sounds wonderful. For back packing how about chicken thighs in a tomato type sauce ( similar to a picante ). In my military MRE’s there’s a meal like that and I really like it. Or maybe meatballs in sauce, meat loaf, omelette!!!!
Also, before I google it, have you tried fish? Wondering how they would reconstitute
I have not yet tried fish, but it's on the "agenda." Supposedly, it freeze dries and reconstitutes well. I have some salmon, shrimp, tuna, mackerel (from Cabo) and imitation crab that I intend to do sometime in the next week or so. I want to try plain fish fillets, as well as chunks to use in other dishes (like chowder, gumbo, w/risotto or maybe something like shrimp and grits.)

I've done a few basic meals (like spaghetti and meat sauce), but I'm starting to put together some other recipes that I want to test for a trip to Colorado in a few weeks. In fact, I just cooked a Stouffers Lasagna that I'll freeze dry next week. Chicken thighs in tomato sauce sounds pretty good. I'll see if I can put something like that together.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #68
flywise
Pope & Young

Lasagna, now that will be good I’m sure. Looking forward to updates
Old 06-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #69
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel discussing some of the reasons why I purchased a freeze dryer. (I used the original post here as a template for the video! )

https://youtu.be/z-RpOiNQIfs

Awesome video as usual! Very informative!

Did your unit come with the standard vacuum pump? Curious on the vacuum pump oil changes: how much of a pain is it and is the oil easy to find?

Have you done any thicker pieces of meat? Perhaps a burger patty or a salisbury steak?

I am fairly certain I will be getting one soon. Like you I feel it will pay for itself fairly quickly. In addition to the back country purposes, it seems like a great way to save both time and money when traveling.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #70
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Awesome video as usual! Very informative!

Did your unit come with the standard vacuum pump? Curious on the vacuum pump oil changes: how much of a pain is it and is the oil easy to find?

Have you done any thicker pieces of meat? Perhaps a burger patty or a salisbury steak?

I am fairly certain I will be getting one soon. Like you I feel it will pay for itself fairly quickly. In addition to the back country purposes, it seems like a great way to save both time and money when traveling.
The unit i have now came with the standard pump. I change the oil after every 4-5 cycles. It's pretty simple to change. I have it positioned on a grated shelf below my machine. I put a container under it when the 4th batch is complete and open the valve on the front (while the oil is warm.) I also elevate the back with a block of wood to help drain. It's pretty much completely drained by the time I finish packaging the finished product. I typically refill it with another batch of filtered oil, and then start filtering the oil I just drained.

While I was waiting to get my used machine, I ordered an extra couple of bottles of oil from HR. I was surprised when the used unit came with three bottles of oil already, so now I have 5 bottles worth, which should last quite a while (you can reuse the filtered oil several times.) I don't think the oil is hard to come by, currently, but that could certainly change.

I actually ordered a new one from HR, with the Premiere Pump, a couple of weeks ago. My brother wants to buy my current one. Current ship times from HR seems to be 6-8 weeks, but I'll let you know how long mine takes.

I haven't done thicker pieces than the venison backstrap that I did in the previous video. I have done some pre-formed raw burger patties, but they were pretty thin. I haven't attempted to rehydrate or cook them yet.

I want to do some thicker raw cuts (or maybe even a whole backstrap or tenderloin) and see if it's possible to rehydrate them and either grill or chicken fry it. I think thicker cuts (over about 1/2") will require at least 24 hours to rehydrate.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #71
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Lasagna, now that will be good I’m sure. Looking forward to updates

I think it will be. I sliced it into thin strips that I think will rehydrate better. I may even crumble it up after it’s dried. It won’t be the classic layered lasagna, but the flavors will be there. I cooked it for a little less time than indicated by instructions, hoping the noodles won’t be too soft when rehydrated.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 PM   #72
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think it will be. I sliced it into thin strips that I think will rehydrate better. I may even crumble it up after it’s dried. It won’t be the classic layered lasagna, but the flavors will be there. I cooked it for a little less time than indicated by instructions, hoping the noodles won’t be too soft when rehydrated.

I’ll buy bag when it’s done…….think I might have the wife convinced. A sample
Might take her over the edge
Old 06-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #73
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:

That looks good! What does the rehydration process entail??
Old 06-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #74
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
That looks good! What does the rehydration process entail??

Boiling water and time!

Most of the commercial backpacking meal brands have some form of lasagna, and they rehydrate in about 10 minutes. Most are broken up into small pieces.

I’ve seen a few home freeze dryers that have complained of lasagna not rehydrating well, but I think most of them cut the lasagna in traditional layered squares and attempted to rehydrate whole in a bowl or pan of water. Evan Rowell has a pretty good video of using the thin strips (and a better vessel) to get better rehydration. I still think crumbling it up while it’s dry and rehydrating in a Mylar meal pouch will yield best results, especially for backpacking meal.

I’ll try rehydrating a couple of different ways next week.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:23 PM   #75
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Kinda wish I had not started following this thread! Y’all got me wanting one of these things bad!!
Old 06-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #76
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Kinda wish I had not started following this thread! Y’all got me wanting one of these things bad!!

Quote:

Here are a few considerations that may (or may not) temper your enthusiasm.

- The machine and pump are a constant noise, and are relatively loud. We have ours in the utility room, just off the living room, and we sometimes have to adjust the tv volume to overcome it…which adds to the overall noise level in the house.

- It puts off a bit of heat (and runs more efficiently in a cool environment.). We
don’t have an AC vent in the utility room (which is why we typically don’t close the door between the utility and LR to reduce the noise) and it’s noticeably warmer in that room.

- Each batch takes 24-50 hours (most are under 30 hours.) My machine runs almost constantly…when we’re home, save for the couple of hours between batches required to defrost the chamber. This adds to our electricity usage. I need to do some calculations, but I figure it’s costing $1.50-$2 per day in additional electrical costs (not counting increased usage required to keep the house cool.

- it’s quite a bit of work to plan and prepare each batch. I have two sets of trays, so I try to prepare and pre freeze the next batch while a batch is in the machine. Prefrozen, packaged vegetables are easy. Pre cooked meats and meals require, obviously, pre cooking. I prefer to sous vide most meats, which requires a bit of advance planning. I recently had to grind some venison (in my new 1 HP MEAT! grinder ) and then pre-cook it. On fattier meats, it’s recommended to cover the cooked meat with warm water, then let it cool so the fat solidifies on the top for removal before freeze drying. (I figured out that’s not needed with lean venison.) But, there’s still work required ahead of, and after, each batch.

- additional costs may include the cost of the food, Mylar bags (or jars) for LT storage, O2 absorbers, extra trays, pump oil, lids, tray dividers, etc.

I certainly have no regrets with my purchase, but I figure I should mentions a few things that might balance the equation for those considering making the investment.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #77
Michael
Administrator

I just pulled the lasagna, along with some spaghetti w/axis meat sauce and a couple of trays of shredded cheddar (not pre shredded).

The lasagna needs just a little more time, so I’ll package it up in another couple of hours. I’m going to save a slice to do a couple of rehydration tests and sample the results this evening.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #78
flywise
Pope & Young

Cheddar cheese, interesting
Old 06-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #79
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Cheddar cheese, interesting

I was surprised to learn that most cheeses freeze dry and store pretty well.

Edit: Apparently, SHREDDED cheese FD and rehydrates much better than sliced or cubed.

Last edited by Michael; 06-28-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #80
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

So Michael, I could take already vacuum-sealed/frozen vegetables and process them? Leave them in their bags, or remove and place on trays? I sous vide quite a bit of our venison as I vacuum seal all of our venison. We prefer the sous vide meats because it's much easier to get the doneness where we like it. Half the time I sear with a torch with the meat lying on either my griddle or pit grates... If I understand your process description right, the next step is I could then process the meat in the FD machine and store in bags or jars?
Old 06-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #81
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
So Michael, I could take already vacuum-sealed/frozen vegetables and process them? Leave them in their bags, or remove and place on trays? I sous vide quite a bit of our venison as I vacuum seal all of our venison. We prefer the sous vide meats because it's much easier to get the doneness where we like it. Half the time I sear with a torch with the meat lying on either my griddle or pit grates... If I understand your process description right, the next step is I could then process the meat in the FD machine and store in bags or jars?

Yes, you can use the already frozen vegetables. You’d have to remove them from the bag (or at least open the bag) to allow the moisture to escape. I suppose you could open the top of the bags, freeze dry them and then vacuum seal them back for storage.

I also prefer SV cooking for most of my meats. You are correct that you could then FD the cooked meats for storage in Mylar bags, jars or vacuum bags (depending on how long you want to store them.) That said, although I did the initial test on a single slice of SV venison steak - and it was VERY good - I’m not ready to proclaim that it is definitely the equivalent of, say, steak straight from the freezer. I still need to do more tests.

This is a pretty good video that tested a few methods of FD steaks. Some were pre-cooked and FD, others were FD raw and then cooked.

https://youtu.be/18gVDKJ25oo

All of the steaks were 1+” thick. His best result was the steak that was SV, then FD, then rehydrated (overnight) and then seared.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #82
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Thanks! I'm thinkin'ol' Santa Claus may bring me n my bride one of these babies!!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #83
Michael
Administrator

I packaged up 5 servings (125g each) of the Stouffer’a lasagna into Mylar meal pouches for future pack trips. (I saved a 6th serving for a rehydration test this week.)

I packaged another 3 pouches (130g) of spaghetti with venison meat sauce.

Based on recommendation from The Elk Thread, I made biscuits and sawmill gravy that is currently in the freeze dryer for trail breakfasts.

I also made chicken pot pie for dinner tonight and will freeze dry a couple of trays of the filling plus pie crusts, separately.

My wife and I are heading to the Durango area in a couple of weeks and will camp for a few days. (We may be meeting a couple of friends there, too). We’ll be able to test some of our home cooked meals on the trail.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #84
Michael
Administrator

I got a fairly decent yield from my habanero plant (still have a lot of work to do on ky gardening skills.) I’m fermenting most of them (along with some onions and pineapple) to make a hot sauce, but I saved several to make habanero powder. (Casey, Devin and I used some in our last batch of sausage, and Casey had to special order it.) I freeze dried several chiles and then ground it in my wife’s coffee grinder! .

Old 07-01-2022, 07:05 PM   #85
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
I got a fairly decent yield from my habanero plant (still have a lot of work to do on ky gardening skills.) I’m fermenting most of them (along with some onions and pineapple) to make a hot sauce, but I saved several to make habanero powder. (Casey, Devin and I used some in our last batch of sausage, and Casey had to special order it.) I freeze dried several chiles and then ground it in my wife’s coffee grinder! .

Oh she is going to love the nice hot kick in her next batch of coffee . My wife would kill me for doing that
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #86
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Oh she is going to love the nice hot kick in her next batch of coffee . My wife would kill me for doing that

LOL! She gave me permission. I’ll probably just order a new coffee grinder and make this one my spice grinder.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #87
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Quote:
LOL! She gave me permission. I’ll probably just order a new coffee grinder and make this one my spice grinder.

Getting a new one for the wife will be a good idea… I use one exclusively for dried peppers. Mainly for piquin peppers.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #88
Michael
Administrator

We did a blind taste test of freeze dried eggs.

I reconstituted the FD yard egg powder (equivalent of two eggs) and scrambled it in a bowl. I also scrambled two yard eggs and then two store bought eggs. Jeanette and Hannah were able to correctly identify the raw versions of each.

I then scrambled each separately (unseasoned.) Both were able to correctly identify the cooked versions, based on appearance, as well.

Next, we did a blind taste test based on taste and texture.

They were both immediately able to identify which was the store bought eggs, based simply on taste (or lack thereof…we’ve been eating yard eggs for awhile and there’s a huge difference.)

They were split on identifying the fresh yard eggs vs freeze dried, based on taste and texture. Hannah slightly preferred the FD, while Jeanette ever-so-slightly preferred the farm fresh. (Note that Hannah is also the most skeptical of FD foods.) Both agreed that the differences were very minimal, and we all preferred both of the farm varieties over the store bought.

I think we all agree that if we were served the FD for breakfast without any comparison, we’d have no idea we were eating FD, especially if added a touch of milk, cooked in butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.

They were quick to finish all three plates after we quit recording!

Last edited by Michael; 07-02-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #89
Michael
Administrator

I found some dehydrated peas/carrots in the freezer and thought it would be a good opportunity to illustrate the difference in appearance between dehydrated and freeze dried.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #90
Michael
Administrator

The freeze dried kale and spinach that we blended into “greens powder” for Hannah’s smoothies came out great. We bought a few more packages of each to do another batch (Courtney wants some now, and we’ll keep some around the house for us! ). We should have some home grown in our garden soon!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #91
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
I found some dehydrated peas/carrots in the freezer and thought it would be a good opportunity to illustrate the difference in appearance between dehydrated and freeze dried.

That’s an enormous difference…
Old 07-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #92
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
That’s an enormous difference…
Quite a difference.

As a side note, I can't see many details but apparently somebody made a purchase from Harvest Right via my affiliate account! Not sure if it was somebody from YT or here, but if it was somebody here, I certainly appreciate the support...and congratulations on your purchase!

Old 07-05-2022, 11:27 PM   #93
Michael
Administrator

I packaged up the chicken pot pie (plus a venison “meat pie” that my wife makes) for our upcoming trip.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #94
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

Quote:
I packaged up the chicken pot pie (plus a venison “meat pie” that my wife makes) for our upcoming trip.

What brand are the MRE style Mylar bags and where did you get them if you don’t mind sharing?
Etxnoodler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #95
Michael
Administrator

I have some from Harvest Right and some from Pleasant Grove Farms. The meal pouches are from PGF (https://www.topmylar.com)

Old 07-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #96
Michael
Administrator

BTW, be careful of the misleading advertising on many of the Mylar bags on Amazon. They’ll double the wall thickness of, say 4.5, for each side and advertise it as 9mm thickness.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #97
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

Thanks. I was looking at wallaby and they were sold out
Old 07-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #98
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Thanks. I was looking at wallaby and they were sold out

I haven’t used the Wallaby but I’ve seen them positively mentioned in FD groups on FB.

Do you have your machine yet?

Old 07-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #99
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

Quote:
I haven’t used the Wallaby but I’ve seen them positively mentioned in FD groups on FB.

Do you have your machine yet?

I do. Will be running the test batch of bread tomorrow. Have you been using the single serving bags? Do they hold an adequate amount you think for a backcountry meal?
Old 07-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #100
Michael
Administrator

I have been using the single serving bags. They’re fairly tight, but I’ve been able to get 130-150g in most meals, which is a good portion for me. Most of the commercial pouches seem to be 90-120g for TWO servings.

We just camped for two nights near Durango (Above Lemon Reservoir) and sampled several meals. I feel like my package sizes were good for one meal.

BTW, the Chicken Pot Pie was OUTSTANDING!