Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf starter set (clones or Box Store clubs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf starter set (clones or Box Store clubs)

My wife is wanting to get into golf as something we can do together.

I'm on the fence at what to get her. Should I get her a set from Academy or clones?

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
    My wife is wanting to get into golf as something we can do together.

I'm on the fence at what to get her. Should I get her a set from Academy or clones?
    Cheap set from Academy will work.

Comment

How tall is she? If she’s of the shorter stature look at junior clubs that are sized by height. Would be a good starter to see if she really wants to play.

Comment

Box set that fit her size. If she likes it and starts improving then later you can look at getting a a better set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Learning to golf is like learning to play a guitar. Start out on the cheap until it is decided whether you like it or not. Then upgrade. At one time my wife wanted a bow just for target shooting so we could do that together. I bought her a cheap 40 lb bow. She shot it a couple of times and that was a wrap.

Comment

Start with a box set or get a used set from second hand sports store.
            We have bought a bunch of stuff from RockBottomGolf.com
            Last edited by jessBsemple; 06-25-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jessBsemple View Post
              Start with a box set or get a used set from second hand sports store.
              We have bought a bunch of stuff from RockBottomGolf.com
              Thanks. Found someone on Craigslist that has complete used sets. Going to check out what he has this coming Friday. Thinking this is a better route and if she decides to really take this up, we'll invest in a nicer set.

Comment

Buy her a decent set of used clubs, cheap-os are a pain. A decent driver and some cavity backed irons with a couple of hybrid woods.
                Starting with some decent clubs helps with the learning curve.

Comment

gigagolf.com

Custom set, on the cheap. I play with a set and they are legit....10 handicap here!!

Comment

I've had good luck with eBay in the past. I am however left handed and left handed clubs on eBay are much cheaper than their right handed counter parts.

Comment

Golf is a game that requires commitment. I would go cheap and test the commitment before I would drop cash for some good quality clubs.

Comment

There are some online fitting charts you can look at. eBay has lots of used sets. Find closest measurement for her than make sure not to get real stiff stafts to start off with. I used to play a 5 handicap on a knockoff set.

Comment

I'm in the camp that fi she starts with crap clubs and can't hit them she will not go farther in the sport. Get her something decent to start, not high dollar but good enough to get her hitting shots.
                          I played knock offs too for years til my back made me give it up, 15 handicap so not near the level as many on here but still won some tourneys.
                          Start her out with decent clubs, used are fine with new grips maybe. Make sure they fit her too.
                          She may enjoy a group lesson with a bunch of other new gals at the range, find a female golf pro for the lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            I'm in the camp that fi she starts with crap clubs and can't hit them she will not go farther in the sport. Get her something decent to start, not high dollar but good enough to get her hitting shots.
                            I played knock offs too for years til my back made me give it up, 15 handicap so not near the level as many on here but still won some tourneys.
                            Start her out with decent clubs, used are fine with new grips maybe. Make sure they fit her too.
                            She may enjoy a group lesson with a bunch of other new gals at the range, find a female golf pro for the lessons.

This is my opinion. I started with clone clubs and they are in my attic and are virtually worthless now. They also didn't fit me.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Believe me we are tracking. Been reading up on what to consider and reviews on box sets. Based on what I've learned Wilson has a decent set for the budget - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMYSS9C..._it&th=1&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                              X