Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
    Heck, i believe it.
    Just look at the mortality rate from vehicles.

What does the mortality rate from vehicles have to do with how many fawns a momma coyote kills to feed her pups?

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
      It’s going to be regional. Around here the deer are so prevalent the number could be even higher. Deer out number the coyotes by a long shot. Plus, there’s a lot of fawns that die from everything from fire ants to hawks and owls that coyotes find and eat on as well. Big mature bobcats will focus in on fawns this time of year too.
      This is experience. Good answer here.

Comment

Thats what these studies do, is heighten the awareness so action can be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
          How did you come up with that conclusion?
          We had a ton of fawns on cameras June and July. We also had a ton of coyotes on camera. Several members saw deer being chased by coyotes and we also found several piles of scat with deer hair in it during late spring and summer. Every single fawn is just gone. You could sit in camp at night and hear up to 3 different packs pretty much all night long. Did I catch a coyote with a fawn in his mouth no. I did shot two playing the fawn in distress on the fox pro last summer. I only went out calling twice. I really was only able to access about 500 of our 2k acres due to high water. Trapping 20 coyotes of 500 acres is pretty extreme ! We hope this next year will confirm what we feel we already know I hope.

Comment

I can just about promise you will have a higher survival rate with trapping. It’s probably the mist under rated game management plan out there. Calling gets a few but educates more than most get. One weekend a month/3 months isn’t going to do it. Anyone that has a resident trapper can attest the the increase in population.
            It would take some time to locate the article, but I recall reading a study where the authors concluded that coyote trapping during winter and early spring was ineffective in reducing predation on fawns, because transient coyotes moved in quickly to replace those removed. However, when trapping occurred just before and during fawning season, fawn survival was increased significantly. So apparently fall/winter trapping was not beneficial in reducing predator pressure on fawns, at least in that study.

Comment

You were the first one I thought of when the kid got grabbed by the coyote this week. You’ve been smoking them this year. I mostly trap high fence places but if you get your name out there you can make some money
              I’d love to take on a couple of larger properties for next winter right after deer season. I still have a few sets out on ours but until more filter in it’s pretty slow which is a good thing. I’ve seen 2 tracks in the last month so I’m excited to see how the fawns do. I talked with a biologist just last week that I’m sending tissue samples to. They’re doing a study on the DNA of coyotes in southeast texas. He told me if you can keep the fawns from predators for the first three weeks the survival rate is pretty good. That first three weeks they are pretty helpless and just lay there. Easy pickings for Mr Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                It would take some time to locate the article, but I recall reading a study where the authors concluded that coyote trapping during winter and early spring was ineffective in reducing predation on fawns, because transient coyotes moved in quickly to replace those removed. However, when trapping occurred just before and during fawning season, fawn survival was increased significantly. So apparently fall/winter trapping was not beneficial in reducing predator pressure on fawns, at least in that study.
                I agree with this to an extent. You have to stay on them and take out not only the locals but the transients as they filter through. It’s a grind. I started trapping in late February and I still have traps in the dirt now. It’s a never ending process. I’ve literally spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trapping them this year. Lovin every second of it.
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-06-2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                  Your right. Certain times of the year you rack up. Then it slows down. You have to stay on top of it. I don’t understand why people think it’s a two month solution.

Comment

I believe the numbers in the OP. Kill every coyote you can. This coming weekend I'll be calling the yotes at Toledo Bend.

Comment

I went to a seminar in Uvalde about axis a couple months ago. One think discussed is how axis are recruiting more fawns each year over Whitetails. Whitetails can have twins but that is very rare with axis. Mother Nature has whitetails having babies the same time predators are having babies. Coyotes and bobcats. Axis tend to have two breading seasons with their offspring born outside of when the predators are raising their offspring. Thus axis have a higher fawn recruitment

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                        I went to a seminar in Uvalde about axis a couple months ago. One think discussed is how axis are recruiting more fawns each year over Whitetails. Whitetails can have twins but that is very rare with axis. Mother Nature has whitetails having babies the same time predators are having babies. Coyotes and bobcats. Axis tend to have two breading seasons with their offspring born outside of when the predators are raising their offspring. Thus axis have a higher fawn recruitment
                        That’s not entirely true. I’m not sure where that comes into this conversation.

Comment

It's amazing how so many deer hunters obviously have no clue about how devastating an out of control coyote population can be to their deer herd... This is not a new revelation AT ALL.... Coyotes can and will COMPLETELY DEVESTATE your fawn crop.. Believe it. A High Bobcat population can too..
                          I guess the days of reading books and magazine articles on the subject of deer and land management and predator control are a thing of the past...

Comment

It was never discussed how many whitetail fawns are killed by coyotes but the number is high. Washington county averages around a 30% whitetail recruitment rate. Predators is one of the leading causes of the fawn losses. One of the reasons the 13” antler requirements was implemented was to get more bucks into the herd to tighten the breeding season, to get more does bred earlier, to get more fawns on the ground at the same time so they have a better chance of survival. The longer period fawns are hitting the ground the higher chance that predators can pick them off

Comment

Trappers are a dying breed.
                              It sure seems that way. I just ordered 3 more dozen MB550's..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                It's amazing how so many deer hunters obviously have no clue about how devastating an out of control coyote population can be to their deer herd... This is not a new revelation AT ALL.... Coyotes can and will COMPLETELY DEVESTATE your fawn crop.. Believe it. A High Bobcat population can too..
                                I guess the days of reading books and magazine articles on the subject of deer and land management and predator control are a thing of the past...
                                Brother I see it everyday around here. I routinely hear they’ve called and killed every coyote onthe lease. I kinda cringe and say ok. Coyotes run a lot to of miles. Kill the residents and more move in. Look at historical records. The northeast of the country had no coyotes. Now they are covered up

Comment

Working...
                                X