2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    You guys with raised beds, do you use any type mulch to keep weeds to a minimum or just your good dirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use leaves from people who rake 'em up and bag 'em for the landfill. Some in the fall and some in the spring during the Live Oak molt.
    I have found a place (a municipality) where you can get (they call it) compost but it has lots of wood chips so it works good as a mulch. Might check with your city and find out if they have this service. A lot do these days due to their recycling programs.
    Ours is free, They load your truck/trailer
    Last edited by locolobo; 03-25-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Curious. This online seed stores, are they cheaper or just easier to buy from versus the seed stands in box stores?
      Some are cheaper, some not! I just paid $20 for a 250 count package of a newer hybrid super sweet corn. But I just wanted to try it out.

Comment

almost had a disaster on my hands as i put mine in the ground last weekend (couldn't wait and longer ha!) with that rain storm we had Tuesday morning, I would've lost all my young tender plants but I scrounged up enough buckets and other covers to protect them. Looks like it worked!
        I'll tell you, this was my first year for starting things from seeds in a grow box. they came up quick and flourished but then started to fail but when I put them in the ground, the impact was almost visible so I'm sure I did something wrong while they were in the grow box.

Thanks for the good advice on this thread. I'll be buying some blackberries to start next year unless someone wants to offer up some of their cuttings :-).

Comment

For anyone in the Denton-Gainesville-Sherman area I found a nursery last weekend that has all kinds of seedlings and the quality/cost ratio is great. They're cheaper than home depot and better quality. They're called Spring Creek Nursery and they're in Collinsville. Address below. They had tomatoes at $1.50 per 4" pot, jalapenos and herbs are $2. Definitely worth it if you're in the area. If I had known about them before I wouldn't have built my greenhouse.

10140 S Collinsville Hwy 377, Collinsville, TX 76233

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post
            almost had a disaster on my hands as i put mine in the ground last weekend (couldn't wait and longer ha!) with that rain storm we had Tuesday morning, I would've lost all my young tender plants but I scrounged up enough buckets and other covers to protect them. Looks like it worked!
            I'll tell you, this was my first year for starting things from seeds in a grow box. they came up quick and flourished but then started to fail but when I put them in the ground, the impact was almost visible so I'm sure I did something wrong while they were in the grow box.

Thanks for the good advice on this thread. I'll be buying some blackberries to start next year unless someone wants to offer up some of their cuttings :-).
            If you started them under lights they have to be tapered off slowly to natural light

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
              For anyone in the Denton-Gainesville-Sherman area I found a nursery last weekend that has all kinds of seedlings and the quality/cost ratio is great. They're cheaper than home depot and better quality. They're called Spring Creek Nursery and they're in Collinsville. Address below. They had tomatoes at $1.50 per 4" pot, jalapenos and herbs are $2. Definitely worth it if you're in the area. If I had known about them before I wouldn't have built my greenhouse.

10140 S Collinsville Hwy 377, Collinsville, TX 76233
              There is NO deer in Grayson County…..oh wait…..wrong thread

Comment

Most of my garden is in.
                San Marzano, Celebrity, and Cherokee Purple tomatoes.
                1015 and yellow onions.
                Red and white potatoes.
                Straight neck squash.
                Bell, Jalapeño, Serrano, and Carolina Reaper peppers.
                Eggplant.
                Kentucky Wonder green beans.
                And four year old asparagus that’s just starting to produce.
                I still have five dripper spots to fill.

And yes, I need to stain the fence again...

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post

You were worried about losing plants to a rainstorm?

I can offer up a couple of cuttings if you can get them from DFW. Ouachita Thornless.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                    I just bought some contender to plant. This is good information thanks. Did you only get one picking/harvest?
                    Blue Lake is another solid bush variety.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post

Most of my garden is in.
                      San Marzano, Celebrity, and Cherokee Purple tomatoes.
                      1015 and yellow onions.
                      Red and white potatoes.
                      Straight neck squash.
                      Bell, Jalapeño, Serrano, and Carolina Reaper peppers.
                      Eggplant.
                      Kentucky Wonder green beans.
                      And four year old asparagus that’s just starting to produce.
                      I still have five dripper spots to fill.

And yes, I need to stain the fence again...
                      Pretty much my garden except I load up on cukes rather than spuds

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        Pretty much my garden except I load up on cukes rather than spuds

I planted beans this year rather than cucumbers. I still have about 50 quarts of pickles left from last year. Bumper harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                          I planted beans this year rather than cucumbers. I still have about 50 quarts of pickles left from last year. Bumper harvest.
                          I hear you on that! Still have pickles out the ying yang from last year.

Comment

Well it was a great planting day at our place!! It felt good to get out and actually put some plants in dirt!! Though they really aren't "in the ground"... I mixed our soil in a little utility trailer that is 4x8 with all metal sides... Made a good mixing bed. My wife has a little electric tiller for her beds and it worked like magic mixing up all the ingredients to create the potting soil... We used 2 parts compost, 2 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite. We planted a bunch of potatoes, some in dedicated potato grow bags, lots of several different kinds of peppers, a few tomatoes, broccoli, Swiss chard, Bok Choi, zucchini, and various greens... Even planted Zinnias and Marigolds as attractants for pollinators... Sure hope this works! If it does, I'll be a bag gardner from here on out as it is MUCH easier than a garden in the dirt!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	66999898545__78DB154F-9E9E-4A76-88A2-AAAF11981312.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	24681220

Name:	IMG_2205.JPG
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	24681222

Name:	IMG_2215.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	24681221

Name:	IMG_2210.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	24681223

Name:	IMG_2211.JPG
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	24681224

Name:	IMG_2212.JPG
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	24681225

Comment

I see you're ready to arrow any deer coming into the garden LOL

Comment

I have some untouched and overgrown corners of what used to be rose bushes and crept myrtles... it's now basically covered in weeds. Is it too late in the year to pull it all out, throw in some new soil and plant something?

If not - what would be the recommended products to get it ready to plant? And what do you recommend I plant? I have okra and tomatoes going that once sprouted, I could move there. I also just started a watermelon kit they sell at home depot for kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X