Switching from 340 shafts to 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from 340 shafts to 300

Currently shooting gold tip hunter 340, arrow length at 29.5” @ about 65 lb draw and 125 grain head. I think I might be under spines. Think I want to try going to a 300 shaft with a 50 or 75 grain brass insert and keep everything else the same. Other than some adjustments to my sights (and maybe rest) this shouldn’t be a waste of time and money, right?

What makes you think your under spined? Not being rude just honestly asking

Comment

Originally posted by JakeM View Post
      What makes you think your under spined? Not being rude just honestly asking
      Most charts I look at have me right on the border, so I’m curious.

Comment

Im the same way on 340s but my arrows tune just fine and i shoot bullet holes. I would go to a shop and shoot through paper before spending the money on new arrows. Those charts will always push you to a stiffer arrow on the side of caution.

Comment

I’m the exact same specs. Kept my 340’s and even put an extra 60 grain outsert on it and they fly good. Took a bit of work and in the end I probably should’ve just got some new 300’s. That being said, it kills deer just as dead as the 300’s would

Comment

It's hard to be too stiff with a compound bow.. the 300s would give you room to play with point weight etc.
            Cutting an inch off the 340s would stiffen them up a good bit too..

Comment

I just went to 300s from 340s at 29” with 100gr points and 65#. I was having a tough time getting them to tune. After I switched I am shooting bullet holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                Currently shooting gold tip hunter 340, arrow length at 29.5” @ about 65 lb draw and 125 grain head. I think I might be under spines. Think I want to try going to a 300 shaft with a 50 or 75 grain brass insert and keep everything else the same. Other than some adjustments to my sights (and maybe rest) this shouldn’t be a waste of time and money, right?
                I’m in the same boat as you. I got Hunter XT 300’s originally tuned them, and thought I was over spined so I got Hunter XT 340’s. Now I can’t tell a difference between the 2. And that’s with 50 gr weights up front and 100 gr broadhead. I say all that to say this…I am by no means an expert.

Comment

Not sure if I wanna stick with Gold Tip or try Easton Axis. Easton is a bit heavier shaft which I think I might want to try also. I guess I can’t go wrong either way.

Comment

What’s your draw length? I was shooting GT 340 Pros/XTs cut 28-5/8” carbon-to-carbon, standard insert, 3-fletch Bohning Heat vanes, 100 grain point. My bow is 29/63.

What are you hoping to gain? You’re tweaking around the margins by going to a 300 with your setup. Nothing is wrong with that, but keep in mind that arrow charts have a lot of safety built into to them as well. If your groups are fine at your max distance, he change may not buy you much. You may be gaining some weight (penetration, quietness).

I’m getting into building arrows, so I invested in Archer’s Advantage. It can give you some solid ideas about various arrow setups without the investment or time into arrows. Let me know if I can help in detail.

Comment

Not sure if I wanna stick with Gold Tip or try Easton Axis. Easton is a bit heavier shaft which I think I might want to try also. I guess I can’t go wrong either way.
                      It's hard to beat easton axis. I like the 5mm arrows.. if you want something just as tough but a little lighter gpi try victory rip tkos.. those will be my next arrows..

Comment

By the way, I switched from the Gold Tip Hunter Pros to the .204 ID Gold Tip Airstrikes in .300 spine (29/70) with stainless steel inserts (~72 grains). I like them a lot so far. My only pain was fitting the collar over the coated shaft. I had to sand the first inch of shaft to remove some coating.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                          It's hard to beat easton axis. I like the 5mm arrows.. if you want something just as tough but a little lighter gpi try victory rip tkos.. those will be my next arrows..
                          I'll second the Victory Rip TKO's. I've got a 1/2 dozen built up to around 450 grains (340's equivalent and just under 28" long) and I really like them, good FOC and fly well.

Comment

I’m ready to buy a dozen shafts and I’m pretty torn between VAP, Axis and Day Six.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              I’m ready to buy a dozen shafts and I’m pretty torn between VAP, Axis and Day Six.
                              I thought about Day 6, and getting some heads too to have a full blown set up, but they’re a bit pricey, and the shafts are heavier than I want. 11.2 gpi for day 6 vs 9.5 gpi for axis. And I think the VAP is at 8.7 gpi. The Easton shafts will put me right 500 grains which is what I want to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X