Anybody own a Ford Expedition Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    My SIL has had mucho trouble with her 2018. In the shop for a total of 5 weeks two different times. Cam phaser issues! She’s looking to get rid of it.
    Not bashing ford, I have a 2016 f150 with 242,000 miles and still running strong.

May try to avoid the 18’ model then. Going to look at a 20’ tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
      That’s likely the route I’ll end up going. Did you use the ready lift kit? Got pictures?

Yes ready lift. I may switch it to the shocks that lift it up. The handling was effected a little bit. Nothing bad , but it drives different now. I will take some pics this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
        Yes ready lift. I may switch it to the shocks that lift it up. The handling was effected a little bit. Nothing bad , but it drives different now. I will take some pics this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

We have 2011 limited. 250,000 miles. We have rebuilt the top end of the engine, and replaced the rack and pinion twice. Other than that runs like a top.

Comment

My wife drives a 19’. We’ve been very happy with it, no issues so far. About 19.5mpg in town and 23 highway. Plenty of room for our needs and very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              I've heard they have some timing chain issues around those model years.
              Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
              My SIL has had mucho trouble with her 2018. In the shop for a total of 5 weeks two different times. Cam phaser issues! She’s looking to get rid of it.
              Not bashing ford, I have a 2016 f150 with 242,000 miles and still running strong.
              We have an ‘18 expedition max limited and I love, well loved it… then my wife told me it sounded funny starting. Same timing chain/cam phaser issue others have mentioned. 65k on it. It’s been at the dealership since last week. They are so backed up, it was not even handed to a tech until today. Parts won’t be available until 9/3.

The only silver lining is we bought the top end extendwarranty so it’s not going to cost us an arm and a leg to fix it. But it is certainly inconvenient for a recalled issue

Comment

Just got rid of my wife’s 18’ limited max. Had 28k miles on it. Had been in the shop at least 4 times: timing chain cam phaser issue, ac went out, front struts twice needed replaced (probably due to the leveling kit that the dealer installed but they refused to upgrade them). Hated that car. Yukon Denali xl now and won’t look back.

Comment

If you are buying from a dealership, see if they can check service records. They have a known spring issue on the Cam Phasers. Our 2019 started showing signs at about 28,000 miles - check engine light and top end rattle. Ford told us to keep driving it while they ordered the parts. 2 weeks later, it was finished. Luckily died in town. The spring broke and completely trashed the engine. You can see it highlighted in yellow.
                  The other 3 springs are still in place. New motor at around 30,000 miles. Great, very comfortable, feature rich car otherwise. The interior on these is built to last.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've had my MAX for almost a year. Love the drive and size. I got it due to the deal I got on it, but glad I pulled the trigger. I dont pay much attention to the gas mileage, but it's been much better than my GMC truck. The sound takes some getting used to if you're into that sort of thing, but works great.

Comment

Working...
                    X