No announcement yet.

Any cotton seed studies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some of those same tote cages that I was planning on using,was curious if its an issue for the deer to reach in them as the pile gets eaten down?Did you make some holes bigger in the cage?

Comment

Will pigs eat it?
      We tried it in East TX one year. They didnt eat much of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PNOAK View Post
        I have some of those same tote cages that I was planning on using,was curious if its an issue for the deer to reach in them as the pile gets eaten down?Did you make some holes bigger in the cage?

I removed the floor after that feeding. They can push them around just like the wire cages. See below for the frame without the floor and then the bottom left in the collage shows them having moved the tote cage in the pile. They are light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	24638613

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	24638614.

Comment

I just got 7160#’s this week. It was $250 ton.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            I have read that it makes the bucks sterile if they eat it and can be bad if they eat it during the rut.

Is this a real thing?

J
            There has been several studies that have disproven this. There are still some websites out there that claim this, but offer no backup of any type of study that have been done. I feed it for the first time this year, They didn’t eat as much as I thought they would, but I am surrounded by crops, peanuts and such. I did catch a lot of them nibbling on it. My area is in recovery mode after a drought, so I don’t know if it helped or not. My area is covered with cottonseed fields, so they eat it most of the year or until the reaped cottonseed bales are removed.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              I have read that it makes the bucks sterile if they eat it and can be bad if they eat it during the rut.

Is this a real thing?

J
              , yes it has slight effect but is fairly insignificant , the beef industry would be in ruins if it was major
              A major ingredient in all types of feed is cotton seed

Comment

We feed 50+ tons a year and it's one of the best feed supplements we do. We also feed another 30 tons of protein. Our deer's overall body condition is amazing. Our 6 year olds are constantly over 210 lbs. You want to buy in bulk from a gin. If your not using it..... well, more for us that are.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Will pigs eat it?
                  We tried it in East TX one year. They didnt eat much of it.
                  Our pigs would not eat it.

Where are people buying their cotton seed? I'm near San Saba

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Our pigs would not eat it.

Where are people buying their cotton seed? I'm near San Saba
                    Pigs and varmints don’t eat it. I have seen some birds hitting it, but they could be useing it for nesting as well.

Comment

Fishndude had pigs eating his...so who know which ones will and which ones won't.

Comment

Pigs will eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I removed the floor after that feeding. They can push them around just like the wire cages. See below for the frame without the floor and then the bottom left in the collage shows them having moved the tote cage in the pile. They are light.

[ATTACH]1030879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1030880[/ATTACH].
                          Thank you for that info,greatly appreciated.

Comment

Anyone know of the best place or way to buy it delivered to east texas? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Where is the nearest place to North TX to buy in bulk? I hunt in Montague county.

Comment

I hunt up in Childress, the feed store up there has bulbs for sale, but usually early in the year. Usually can’t buy it late in the year as to feed store has a contract to where they sell it to the milk dairy’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X