Luck is better than skill sometimes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, yesterday I got home from a 6 day stint at the ranch I work at. I was wore out!!! My wife had been hand corning a spot for me every day while I was gone (she’s a keeper, for sure). Anyway, she asked if I was planning to hunt at the house, and I decided to go ahead and give it a try.

I have been after this one particular big 8 point. I had already seen him several times while hunting, but every time he would walk just out of range right past my blind at a protein feeder to go to a corn feeder about 30yds away.

I got showered up, and got in the blind at about 5:30. The corn feeder that is 30yds away went off at 6:30 and I immediately had 2 little scrub bucks and a couple does come in. And they came to my hand corn instead of going over to the other feeder!!! They fed for a few minutes, then backed out. I could still see them milling around, but they didn’t seem too interested.

Then the feeder went off the second time at 7:00 and they came back to my hand corn. After a few minutes, I caught some movement off to the right thru a cedar tree. It was him, the big 8 I was after!!!

He came in the same way he had every other time I have seen him. But when he crossed in front of me, he paused to look at the other deer at my hand corn. After what seemed like an eternity, he turned and started walking towards me. It was game on!!!!!

He worked his way in, and started feeding on my hand corn. After just a minute he was in the “dead deer position” at about 11yds, and everything went into autopilot. I drew, settled in at anchor, and released.

I cringed when I saw the arrow hit the deer in a place that looked waaaaay to low in the leg to me. He bolted and ran hard, and my heart sank into my gut.

After just a minute, I got out of the blind to verify that I had hit him and check to see if there was a blood trail. I found 2 pieces of broken arrow, and a few drops of blood about 10yds away.

I went to the house to eat supper. I told my wife that I had just screwed up a shot on the biggest buck around, and that I likely would never recover him.

After supper I decided to go ahead and look, totally expecting to follow a scant blood trail all the way to the fence! When I started on the trail, the blood was indeed scant but consistent, so I kept going.

After only 40yds or so, I could see him ahead. I could not believe my eyes. He was stone cold dead in 50yds from where I had shot him!!!!

I did in fact hit him waaaaaaaaaay too low! Check out the entrance hole:

The only thing I can figure, is that he crouched at the sound of the shot, and that I got extremely lucky!!!!! The arrow exited the back side of the leg, then entered the chest thru the armpit.

Sometimes a little luck is a really good thing!!!!

For those who are interested, I shot him with my new Primal Tech recurve, FMJ arrow, and 150gr German Kinetic XL broadhead.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 10-21-2020, 02:57 PM.

Heck yeah Bisch!!!! Congrats

Comment

Luck. Our close friend or worst enemy. Congratulations on a beautiful buck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought that's just where you were supposed to aim on these skittish texas deer!

Congratulations Bisch! That new recurve is really broken in properly now.

Comment

Congratulations! You timed him just right.

Comment

Hey sometimes it takes real skill to be lucky at just the right time! Thats what I tell myself anyway. Congratulations! Awesome w-i-d-e 8 man!!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

After I had already found him, I put my tracker in training, Zeke on the trail. He went from first blood right to the dead deer in about 10 seconds. I love watching that dog do his thing when he gets it right!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Bisch; 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Congratulations, it don’t get much lower than that shot!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations Bisch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Jerry on the buck and a good dog !

Comment

Congrats Bisch. Beautiful buck indeed.

Comment

Congratulations Jerry!!!
                          Really good to see Zeke is doing well also!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck, Jerry! Always need luck on your side; it's also possible to make a perfect shot and just have it go mysteriously wrong.

Comment

Congratulations luck is a good thing

Comment

Working...
                              X