Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Toyota Trucks

Trying to get the crap off of the other guys "catch a thief" thread.

Discuss.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

If you can afford a 40-70 thousand dollar truck why cant you afford a mile or 2 less mpg?
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

They’re the best, most reliable truck you can own. I don’t pay attention to gas mileage. I want my truck to crank when I turn the key, and run until I turn it off and Toyota has been flawless for me.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Theyíre the best, most reliable truck you can own. I donít pay attention to gas mileage. I want my truck to crank when I turn the key, and run until I turn it off and Toyota has been flawless for me.
Reminds me I need to go charge the battery in my taco
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
67olds442
Eight Point

I love how my back window goes down so I can have my kid grab me a beer out of the cooler.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Reminds me I need to go charge the battery in my taco
Haha. My taco has 330,000 on it and all that I’ve done to it since I have owned it was a fuel pump and a alternator.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

I think all the complaining about Tacomas and Tundras must come from the hill billies that can't afford one. All the BS about them being rice burners makes me LOL

At least they work. I have nothing against people who own Chevy/Ford but no one can say Toyotas don't last a lot longer. I guess they can say it, but everyone knows they're FOS.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Theyíre the best, most reliable truck you can own. I donít pay attention to gas mileage. I want my truck to crank when I turn the key, and run until I turn it off and Toyota has been flawless for me.
Most reliable...Maybe
Best? Far from it.
Every manufacturer offers a half ton truck with more power, payload, towing capacity, and mpg than the Toyota.
With that said, my next truck just may be the tundra.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
marceco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas , Kansas , & Oklahoma

There might be other offerings with options but there is nothing as reliable for as long as Toyotas , at least for my sons and I .
marceco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

My 2006 Taco has been the best most reliable truck I have owned & I have owned a bunch.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
PoohDaddy
Six Point

you can google "million mile Toyota tundra". there has been a couple over the past few years that reached a million miles. That's pretty Dang impressive
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
PoohDaddy
Six Point

I just got my 16 yr old daughter a 2006 4runner with 172,000 miles. runs and drives like new. no doubt they can be pricey but they will outlast anything out there!!
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Most reliable...Maybe
Best? Far from it.
Every manufacturer offers a half ton truck with more power, payload, towing capacity, and mpg than the Toyota.
With that said, my next truck just may be the tundra.
True. Iíll take reliable over any other factor everyday.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
All the BS about them being rice burners makes me LOL.
I canít say how they rank today but when I bought my 2017 Tundra it was rated as having the highest percentage of American parts of all the 1/2 tons and it was built in Texas. I think my wifeís F-350 was built in Canada.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Up until last Thursday GMC was the best. Beginning Friday Ford became the best.

That 2020 Ford I bought starts every time. Even with 54 miles on it.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
True. Iíll take reliable over any other factor everyday.
I get that.
To some folks more options and performance is a bigger factor.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

They are the preferred truck for meth heads
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #18
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

You just can't buy peace of mind; unless you buy a Toyota..... Wife- 4 Runner, oldest son- Corolla, youngest son- Camry, and I love my Tundra.

I dont dislike Dodge, Ford, or Chevy's, and pray for the day Toyota makes a 3/4 ton diesel. If that day comes, I'm in. I've heard talk of a 1/2 ton diesel, but I'll hold out for the 3/4 ton.
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
Charles
Pope & Young

built in the good ol' U.S. of Texas
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #20
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
You just can't buy peace of mind; unless you buy a Toyota..... Wife- 4 Runner, oldest son- Corolla, youngest son- Camry, and I love my Tundra.
Lol. Whatever...
Old 03-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #21
SabineHunter
Spike

Quote:
I think all the complaining about Tacomas and Tundras must come from the hill billies that can't afford one. All the BS about them being rice burners makes me LOL

At least they work. I have nothing against people who own Chevy/Ford but no one can say Toyotas don't last a lot longer. I guess they can say it, but everyone knows they're FOS.
Whatever. I'm sure my GMC 2500 HD Denali, Duramax, Allison tranny, 4x4 costs more than most, if not all foreign trucks, and do more. So, I definitely can afford it but choose not to because I buy American including my Harley. Now, I do have foreign TV's and such because I have no choice. BTW, I noticed that most Libtards drive foreign vehicles but not all foreign vehicle owners are Libtards.

Last edited by SabineHunter; 03-25-2020 at 12:55 PM.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #22
spikebuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northeast Texas

I bought my first Tundra about a year and a half ago. Don’t think I’ll ever own anything else besides a Toyota. The transmission in my wife’s Nissan started acting up about the time we got it paid off. Things seem to always happen that way. I think it had about 55,000 miles in it. I gently coaxed her into a Camry. She wasn’t crazy about them and it wouldn’t have been her first choice but she loves it now.
spikebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I'm on my second Tacoma (200k on the first one) and they have been perfect for me and my purposes. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to brands but I'm surprised there is still some "I ain't supporting no Jap company" sentiment lingering around. I understand why my dad wouldn't buy Japanese but he was a WWII era veteran. Toyota employs over 30,000 people in the US and that does not include all the thousands of dealership employees. If you decide to only buy products manufactured in America you will be living a pretty spartan existence
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #24
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Tacomas are freakin solid little trucks. But I've never understood the Tundra concept. They made a slightly oversized half ton that still doesn't have the tow capacity near a 3/4 ton that gets terrible fuel mileage... The new f150's I've driven blow the new tundras out of the water in terms of performance, fuel mileage and comfort. Personally I pull trailers and live on a farm, so I got a dually and a 3/4 ton. If I didn't I would go with an f150 or a Tacoma. Just my 2 cents.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #25
Rwc
Pope & Young

Reminds me, I need to start looking for a Tacoma to add. Sure enjoyed the one I had.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #26
Big Lee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Buy what you like. Guess we can start a thread about Justin, Ariat, Red Wing, Georgia work boots and see similar responses... I like the nostalgia part about GM, Ford, Dodge. The history attached to them in regards to building this country. No sense in going into a measuring contest...

I also, laugh at the comments on a fuel mileage. If you are willing to spend $5-800/month in payments or $40-80K cash for a vehicle. Fuel mileage of + or - 2mpgs really doesn't make much difference. Yes, get the most bang for your buck. But also get the most comfort for your buck.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #27
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Toyota Trucks

I’m not a fan of the Tundras, but I know a lot of folks who absolutely love them. I just traded the Trail premium 4Runner in and picked up an LT Trail boss. The only Tundra that would be somewhat similar is a TRD Pro.

Back in a Chevy! Buy whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 03-25-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #28
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Whatever. I'm sure my GMC 2500 HD Denali, Duramax, Allison tranny, 4x4 costs more than most, if not all foreign trucks, and do more. So, I definitely can afford it but choose not to because I buy American including my Harley. Now, I do have foreign TV's and such because I have no choice. BTW, I noticed that most Libtards drive foreign vehicles but not all foreign vehicle owners are Libtards.
Elkbowhunter is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Reminds me, I need to start looking for a Tacoma to add. Sure enjoyed the one I had.

Rwc
Will Toyota put Tundras or Tacomas on sale during this COVID event? I hope they do...but then I hope they don't LOL
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #29
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Tundras are an old design. Go back to the mid 2000's when the 5.7 came out and find a contemporary truck that got much better mpg in v8, 6spd, 4.30 form. The same anti Toyota guys are the same ones who gush over the 5.9 and 7.3, which compared to today, are wimps. Sure they could have updated it, but why? They're probably pretty happy selling fewer trucks and eating the Big 3's lunch in most other vehicle classes. I'm sure that when they do they'll have a high strung turbo 6 or small v8, with a 21 speed and highway gears to eek out 2mpg. Probably add a big screen dash, butt scratchers, and 25 function tailgate just to appease the "look at my awesome status symbol truck" folks who can't fathom that some might choose something different than them. Drive them all, pick the one you like.

Last edited by FVR JR; 03-25-2020 at 01:49 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #30
Big Lee
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
Tundras are an old design. Go back to the mid 2000's when the 5.7 came out and find a contemporary truck that got much better mpg in v8, 6spd, 4.30 form. The same anti Toyota guys are the same ones who gush over the 5.9 and 7.3, which compared to today, are wimps. Sure they could have updated it, but why? They're probably pretty happy selling fewer trucks and eating the Big 3's lunch in most other vehicle classes. I'm sure that when they do they'll have a high strung turbo 6 or small v8, with a 21 speed and highway gears. Probably add a big screen dash, butt scratchers, and 25 function tailgate just to appease the "look at my awesome truck" folks who can't fathom that some might choose something different than them. Drive them all, pick the one you like.
I got ripped off. Mine didn't come with the butt scratcher. And in these low TP count days we are having. I could use one.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #31
SabineHunter
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Iím not a fan of the Tundras, but I know a lot of folks who absolutely love them. I just traded the Trail premium 4Runner in and picked up an LT Trail boss. The only Tundra that would be somewhat similar is a TRD Pro.

Nice!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:

Will Toyota put Tundras or Tacomas on sale during this COVID event? I hope they do...but then I hope they don't LOL
I hope they do, I am in the market for a tundra.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #33
SabineHunter
Spike

[QUOTE=RiverRat1;14773498]Elkbowhunter is that you?

No but are you a liberal?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #34
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
They are the preferred truck for meth heads
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #35
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

If I didn’t need towing I would by a Toyota in a heartbeat. I’ve owned all brands. Never once had to do anything but change the battery, hoses, and belts in my Toyota. Drove it over 300k. My Ford- had to put a Disaster Prevention Kit to prevent the crappy CP3 from throwing shards up on the top rail when I blows up- Notice not if when. Also had to spend about $300 on intake parts that were plastic and got brittle and left me with trailer on side of road. Ford also contacted and recommended changing fuel filters every 10k miles to help with the fuel pump. Filters cost about $75. It’s not just Ford had a Chevy Duramax before this one and have a list for that one as well. So yep I’d take another Toyota that needs gas, fresh oil to run and not a list if parts on top of that
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #36
Hunting4fun
Eight Point

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #37
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
If I didnít need towing I would by a Toyota in a heartbeat. Iíve owned all brands. Never once had to do anything but change the battery, hoses, and belts in my Toyota. Drove it over 300k. My Ford- had to put a Disaster Prevention Kit to prevent the crappy CP3 from throwing shards up on the top rail when I blows up- Notice not if when. Also had to spend about $300 on intake parts that were plastic and got brittle and left me with trailer on side of road. Ford also contacted and recommended changing fuel filters every 10k miles to help with the fuel pump. Filters cost about $75. Itís not just Ford had a Chevy Duramax before this one and have a list for that one as well. So yep Iíd take another Toyota that needs gas, fresh oil to run and not a list if parts on top of that
I had the same issue. That's why I sold my 6.7 powerstroke.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #38
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím not a fan of the Tundras, but I know a lot of folks who absolutely love them. I just traded the Trail premium 4Runner in and picked up an LT Trail boss. The only Tundra that would be somewhat similar is a TRD Pro.

Nice looking ride. Did you go with the 6.2L or 5.3L?

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #39
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

[quote=SabineHunter;14773550]
Quote:

No but are you a liberal?
Tim, he's got you pegged....
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #40
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Nice looking ride. Did you go with the 6.2L or 5.3L?

Rwc
I went with the 5.3 but shopped the 2.7 diesel.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #41
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

[quote=Graysonhogs;14773686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post

Tim, he's got you pegged....
Yep.. I admit I'm a liberal
Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #42
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Buddies dad has the 3.0 Chevy diesel, sweet ride!

But Iím still buying a tundra, all day.

Quote:
I went with the 5.3 but shopped the 2.7 diesel.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #43
kaizen
Eight Point

I bought a tundra back in 2010. The truck has done ok but has had a few issues. Had to replace oil pan, water pump and of course brakes. It currently needs a starter. I get a clickly, clickly on occasion. Around 2013, I had a mouse chew through the engine harness which was expensive but fixed by insurance. On a high mileage truck, the traction control system gets iffy. Diffs don't mechanically lock so relies on the antilock system. Actually works pretty good new but, at 260,000 mile, its not as effective. I tow a 30' camper, 22' bay boat or a 28' sailboat. Truck pulls them fine. The camper is near the upper limit of what is recommended but I have had no issues. I would buy another. Especially if they had the front split bench in the crew max configuration and add an air or mech rear locker.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #44
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

You need to look at the foreign content of these trucks being assembled here in the states...that will speak volumes.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #45
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

theyre as cool as a fan and will pull the by gawd space shuttle
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #46
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I’ve had a few, interior is cheap. Big bulky knobs. The Tacoma I had was sweet though.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #47
Big Lee
Eight Point

RiverRat, curious... What kick back are you getting from Toyota? You are one heck of a loyal fan!! Like Aaron Tippin sang, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything!!"
Old 03-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #48
castlegaphunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Upton, Crane County
Default .

Quote:

Idk.. if you can afford a tundra you can afford them all. Idk where this idea comes from that they are expensive.
castlegaphunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #49
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
Iíve had a few, interior is cheap. Big bulky knobs. The Tacoma I had was sweet though.
I agree they ain't fancy.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #50
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond
Default Try the 1794 Edition Tundra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
Iíve had a few, interior is cheap. Big bulky knobs. The Tacoma I had was sweet though.
I assume you are referring to the Tundra's or maybe all Toyota PU? When I decided to go back to Tundra's 2 years ago, I was spoiled on the King Ranch interiors. Ran into this at our local Toyota dealer and at least for me I like the luxury of the 1794 Edition better than my previous different brand trucks. AND I have never owned a truck with 4x4 I worried about a few MPG difference. Won't ever own another brand, reliable and proven value!

Got a lot of compliments on both exterior and interior, I like it mucho!
Attached Images

kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top