Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default UTV Bed Winches ideas

Just picked up a 2020 Can Am and wanting to mount a winch in the bed. Can Am has one thatís pretty cool but not $579 nice. Looking at building my own. Letís see some ideas
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Bazo
Ten Point
 
Bazo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Where I can
Default

Good idea
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Name:  4515D5B1-6A27-4BBA-AA4B-DE337D1FAB31.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  42.9 KB

This is Can Am version and similar to the route Iím looking at going
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.
Default

I mounted one up high on the roll cage. It works good and is out of the way.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
bobc
Ten Point
 
bobc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Temple
Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Attachment 973785



This is Can Am version and similar to the route Iím looking at going


That is pretty cool. Is it set up for easy detach? I canít tell.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
That is pretty cool. Is it set up for easy detach? I canít tell.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I canít tell either. I want to make mine to where you can remove it when not needed
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

I have a new Can-Am HD10 XMR (with a front winch/bumper). Why would you mount that winch in the rear like that? It’s bolted/connected to the plastic bed. What good is that going to be?
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
I have a new Can-Am HD10 XMR (with a front winch/bumper). Why would you mount that winch in the rear like that? It’s bolted/connected to the plastic bed. What good is that going to be?
Pull deer into the bed etc.

Last edited by BrandonA; 09-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
I have a new Can-Am HD10 XMR (with a front winch/bumper). Why would you mount that winch in the rear like that? Itís bolted/connected to the plastic bed. What good is that going to be?
Ever try to load a 200 lb. hog by yourself ? Even a 150 lb. deer is tough for me at 72 years old. I had one under my steel roof on my Ranger, but I havenít put one on the Can-Am yet. You can bet there will be one though. Tilt that bed, use a short piece of plywood for a ramp and itís easy peasy !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #10
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Most all UTV's in the mountain states have a winch mounted to the top of the roll cage in the back that is used to load large game onto the back of the UTV. I've been wanting to add one to my Honda Pioneer to load deer/hogs when I'm by myself. Right now, I have a block and tackle that I use to load dead animals. A winch sure would be nice!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Most all UTV's in the mountain states have a winch mounted to the top of the roll cage in the back that is used to load large game onto the back of the UTV. I've been wanting to add one to my Honda Pioneer to load deer/hogs when I'm by myself. Right now, I have a block and tackle that I use to load dead animals. A winch sure would be nice!!
Top of the Roll cage is a good idea.

Anybody have any experience with the winches from Harbor Frieght? I donít want to break the bank on some thing that isnt going to be use all to often.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Brandon, been thinking about getting one of those myself... I've known a few guys that have them on ATV's and they seem to work OK... Not sure how they'd hold up to rugged mud/water exposure, but on the roll cage, that should be minimized...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Do you have a front winch ? Is so put 2 pulleys in your roll cage and use the winch in the front
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
bobc
Ten Point
 
bobc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Temple
Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Top of the Roll cage is a good idea.



Anybody have any experience with the winches from Harbor Frieght? I donít want to break the bank on some thing that isnt going to be use all to often.


That is what we put on Popís Kubota. Has worked great so far.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
HTOWN
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas city
Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS
Default

I saw a nice lift that attached to the front and used the winch to operate. If it wasn't loaded with game, you could put coolers and supplies on it. Looked nice as well. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Brandon, been thinking about getting one of those myself... I've known a few guys that have them on ATV's and they seem to work OK... Not sure how they'd hold up to rugged mud/water exposure, but on the roll cage, that should be minimized...
I have a WARN on the front for the hard work.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #17
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Do you have a front winch ? Is so put 2 pulleys in your roll cage and use the winch in the front
I thought about that but me light bars will interfere
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Top of the Roll cage is a good idea.

Anybody have any experience with the winches from Harbor Frieght? I donít want to break the bank on some thing that isnt going to be use all to often.
Thatís what I had on my Ranger. I figured a cheap winch would be fine for the few times Iíd use it. It worked fine. I had a steel top on my Ranger with some overhang on the front and back and I mounted the winch under the top to keep it out of the weather as much as possible. Got a plastic roof now, so itís plan B or make another steel roof. Leaning toward the latter.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #19
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.
Default



This works great. Drop the tailgate, tilt the bed, and winch your animal into the bed. Harbor freight winch with a wireless remote.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #20
HTOWN
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas city
Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS
Default

Theoxrack.com

That's it
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #21
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post


This works great. Drop the tailgate, tilt the bed, and winch your animal into the bed. Harbor freight winch with a wireless remote.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatís the winch I was looking at. How did you run the power to the battery?
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #22
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Thatís the winch I was looking at. How did you run the power to the battery?
I just zip-tied the cable to the roll cage.

Beware though...I need to install a cutoff switch. Ever since I installed it it drains my battery. I think itís because the wireless transmitter in the box is always powered. It doesnít matter as long as I use the SxS often, but if it sits for about a month it will be dead.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #23
WhiplashTX
Eight Point
 
WhiplashTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in a cave with bee's
Hunt In: Menard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
This works great. Drop the tailgate, tilt the bed, and winch your animal into the bed. Harbor freight winch with a wireless remote.
I use the same one on my Jeep as a suck down winch. You can hardwire a control to it and eliminate the wireless feature. I removed all but 10 feet of cable on mine and it's a little power house.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
RR 314
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
I just zip-tied the cable to the roll cage.

Beware though...I need to install a cutoff switch. Ever since I installed it it drains my battery. I think itís because the wireless transmitter in the box is always powered. It doesnít matter as long as I use the SxS often, but if it sits for about a month it will be dead.
Yup. I have the same cheapo winch on the back of a jeep hoist. I wired it to a Min-kota trolling motor battery box and only attach negative terminal when I use it.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #25
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
I just zip-tied the cable to the roll cage.

Beware though...I need to install a cutoff switch. Ever since I installed it it drains my battery. I think itís because the wireless transmitter in the box is always powered. It doesnít matter as long as I use the SxS often, but if it sits for about a month it will be dead.
Thanks for that. Did you attach the scare tubing to the roll cage with U bolts?
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #26
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Thanks for that. Did you attach the scare tubing to the roll cage with U bolts?
Itís actually a piece of c-channel, and yes I used U bolts. I couldnít convince myself to weld on my new buggy.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #27
outlook8
Ten Point
 
outlook8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Hunt In: TX
Default

Are you guys running an aux battery for these?
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #28
Big pig
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Taking notes here. Ain’t as stout as I once was.
I use a “rack” (carrier) on the back of my truck for this reason.
But on big boars I rope their upper jaw and drag them. They drag easy head first.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

[QUOTE=WTucker;14391392]Itís actually a piece of c-channel, and yes I used U bolts. I couldnít convince myself to weld on my new buggy.[/QUOT

I like the idea, and need to do this. However, I have a Mule so I need to do some looking and figuring. Yeah and I aint welding on a brand new mule either. That c channel is 3 or 4 inch wide?

Do you think a sealed 12v motorcycle battery would have enough amps to run one of them winches? I aint sure I want to run it off the Mule battery
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
dclifton
Pope & Young
 
dclifton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lindale Tx
Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx
Default

I use a 9K winch from harbor fright for a hay spear on one of my flatbeds. Been great but the wireless ads on remotes they have are junk. Zero problems for 2+ years on the winch. Also use it on one of my goosenecks. Also have a champion winch that has worked great as well. Tractor supply winches aren’t much more and better quality I think...
dclifton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #31
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
I use a 9K winch from harbor fright for a hay spear on one of my flatbeds. Been great but the wireless ads on remotes they have are junk. Zero problems for 2+ years on the winch. Also use it on one of my goosenecks. Also have a champion winch that has worked great as well. Tractor supply winches arenít much more and better quality I think...
Thanks for the info
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 PM   #32
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook8 View Post
Are you guys running an aux battery for these?
No, Iím just using the regular battery.

[quote=Radar;14391468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
Itís actually a piece of c-channel, and yes I used U bolts. I couldnít convince myself to weld on my new buggy.[/QUOT

I like the idea, and need to do this. However, I have a Mule so I need to do some looking and figuring. Yeah and I aint welding on a brand new mule either. That c channel is 3 or 4 inch wide?

Do you think a sealed 12v motorcycle battery would have enough amps to run one of them winches? I aint sure I want to run it off the Mule battery
I will have to look to be sure, but I think it was 3Ē.

Another battery would run it, but for how long I donít know. I tied it onto the battery on my buggy because I figured if it can run the front winch to drag me out of the mud, it will run the small one for 30 seconds to drag a deer/hog in the back.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #33
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

[quote=WTucker;14391526]No, Iím just using the regular battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

I will have to look to be sure, but I think it was 3Ē.

Another battery would run it, but for how long I donít know. I tied it onto the battery on my buggy because I figured if it can run the front winch to drag me out of the mud, it will run the small one for 30 seconds to drag a deer/hog in the back.
I think I am going to tie it into a toggle switch on the dash like the front winch is somehow. That way I can cut power to it
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Do you have a front winch ? Is so put 2 pulleys in your roll cage and use the winch in the front

Keith, I'm going to look at mine and see if I have enough clearance to run the front winch line over the Tough Country bumper to the roll cage with pulleys... That'd be a good fix if I can make it work... Got a basket/rack on the front I'd have to clear too, but gonna check it out.
Thanks!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I have a WARN on the front for the hard work.

Yea, I do too. Gonna take a look at rigging up some pulleys like Strummer suggested too!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 PM   #36
No-Tox
Eight Point
 
No-Tox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rockwall County
Hunt In: Ellis County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Do you have a front winch ? Is so put 2 pulleys in your roll cage and use the winch in the front
So the idea is to put one on the front roll cage bar and one on the back roll cage bar to slip the winch line through when needed?
I have a Harbor Freight winch that needs to be mounted and was just thinking of how to use it for dual purpose (getting unstuck and picking up game).
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #37
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
So the idea is to put one on the front roll cage bar and one on the back roll cage bar to slip the winch line through when needed?
I have a Harbor Freight winch that needs to be mounted and was just thinking of how to use it for dual purpose (getting unstuck and picking up game).


Yes that what Iím talking about . Did it on my rhino when I had it .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #38
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Keith, I'm going to look at mine and see if I have enough clearance to run the front winch line over the Tough Country bumper to the roll cage with pulleys... That'd be a good fix if I can make it work... Got a basket/rack on the front I'd have to clear too, but gonna check it out.
Thanks!


I did it on my rhino when I had it . For me it worked pretty good . Having a remote for the winch made it easy to work .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:34 PM   #39
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I did it on my rhino when I had it . For me it worked pretty good . Having a remote for the winch made it easy to work .
Strum do you have pics? I wouldnít mind having a back winch at times though. You always have good ideas
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #40
No-Tox
Eight Point
 
No-Tox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rockwall County
Hunt In: Ellis County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Yes that what Iím talking about . Did it on my rhino when I had it .
I have a rhino. Do you have any pictures of when you had it?
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #41
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Strum do you have pics? I wouldnít mind having a back winch at times though. You always have good ideas


I sure donít . Wish I did .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #42
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I have a rhino. Do you have any pictures of when you had it?


No sir I donít . Sold it when I got my mule years ago .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #43
Buckrider
Ten Point
 
Buckrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Terrell
Hunt In: Fairfield
Default

Badlands 5000 winch from Harbor freight are good winches and will be fine exposed to the weather. I have 3 of them!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Do you have a front winch ? Is so put 2 pulleys in your roll cage and use the winch in the front
Ive done this on many occasions.

Ive got a replacement bumper on the front of my ranger. Its got a hoop over the winch and Ive placed a custom made, high quality piece of PVC pipe on the hoop to allow the winch rope to slide on easier. From there I place a clevis on the rear of the roll cage with a pulley for the winch rope. Tilt the bed and winch it on in.


It worked for elk very well

Last edited by Quackerbox; 09-26-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com