Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-20-2019, 01:04 AM   #51
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I agree, its been fun but I'm out... good night.... go 'stros! !
That's all you got?? Pppfftt..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:05 AM   #52
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
That's all you got?? Pppfftt..
I can't be a hero every night

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #53
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I can't be a hero every night

Well then go get your beauty rest..
Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #54
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

Never cull a deer and let ice water touch the meat......it will ruin it quicker than you can imagine.

Last edited by Tom; 10-20-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #55
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Never cull a dear and let ice water touch the meat......it will ruin it quicker than you can imagine.
Oh LAWT!!!!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #56
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am not on a lease and never will be again. I am not a wildlife biologist and probably only marginally smart....unlike many around these parts...….but low fence or high fence I can guarantee you kill an inferior animal and he will never breed again. I don't care what Doctor dumbazz says. Deer have a range.....shoot deer that you don't care for within that range and it will make a difference over time. PERIOD...…...the small deer in the Hill Country have no impact in South Texas because that don't get down that way....
You should really take the time to listen to the podcast mentioned in post 7.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #57
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I've been culling spotted pigs this weekend on my no fence place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #58
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post

You like the all black ones?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #59
Terry
Ten Point

Supplement feed, keep does in check, shoot old bucks. End of story.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #60
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
You like the all black ones?
Maybe a little curious ?

Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #61
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

No, I didn’t listen to the podcasts.

I think most on here are arguing about a word. It’s just a simple little word that is getting y’all’s feathers ruffled. “Cull” means to “remove”. That’s it. It’s that simple. The reasons to remove can vary. On a lot of places in Texas you have to remove a certain number of bucks and does to reach desired ratios, numbers, etc. So you have to “cull” the herd. LF or HF doesn’t matter. You have to “cull” a certain number of bucks, and you have to “cull” a certain number of does. Simple math really.

It’s just common sense that you will remove bucks with lesser quality antlers and leave the bucks with seemingly more potential. I have NEVER seen a study where a ranch “culled” only 10 point or bigger deer. Wonder why that is? If a ranch needs to cull/remove 20 bucks to hit their numbers, then why not shoot the first twenty bucks you see regardless of antler configuration? If it truly doesn’t matter to the genetic make-up of the herd, then why not? Or better yet why not shoot the top 20 bucks and leave the rest? Is it making sense now?

Maybe we need a new word, like “skim”. Can you “skim” bucks without people getting upset? If I said I shot a skim 5 year old 7 point, would that be better? For the record I hunt both LF and Hf. Our LF isn’t big, but we have been “skimming” the lesser quality antlered bucks and leaving the “big” ones for about 15 years now. Average antler size has gone up. We will continue to “skim” on our LF lease.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #62
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Never cull a deer and let ice water touch the meat......it will ruin it quicker than you can imagine.
But you gotta draw the blood and gamy flavor out!!!!!

The whole culling non-debate is kinda funny... the actual science behind it seems pretty cut and dried that it doesnt really have an effect.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #63
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Culling doesn’t work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post

I think most on here are arguing about a word. It’s just a simple little word that is getting y’all’s feathers ruffled. “Cull” means to “remove”. That’s it. It’s that simple. The reasons to remove can vary. On a lot of places in Texas you have to remove a certain number of bucks and does to reach desired ratios, numbers, etc. So you have to “cull” the herd. LF or HF doesn’t matter. You have to “cull” a certain number of bucks, and you have to “cull” a certain number of does. Simple math really.

It’s just common sense that you will remove bucks with lesser quality antlers and leave the bucks with seemingly more potential. I have NEVER seen a study where a ranch “culled” only 10 point or bigger deer. Wonder why that is? If a ranch needs to cull/remove 20 bucks to hit their numbers, then why not shoot the first twenty bucks you see regardless of antler configuration? If it truly doesn’t matter to the genetic make-up of the herd, then why not? Or better yet why not shoot the top 20 bucks and leave the rest? Is it making sense now?

Maybe we need a new word, like “skim”. Can you “skim” bucks without people getting upset? If I said I shot a skim 5 year old 7 point, would that be better? For the record I hunt both LF and Hf. Our LF isn’t big, but we have been “skimming” the lesser quality antlered bucks and leaving the “big” ones for about 15 years now. Average antler size has gone up. We will continue to “skim” on our LF lease.

Don’t be bringing common sense to this Cotulla Cowboy /Dilly Bar Rockstar conversation Chance
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #64
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post

Why are we drawn to the spotted ones?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #65
Roy
Ten Point

I'm sorry, but 'culling' on a low-fence property IS simply killing. You have absolutely no control over your herd's genetics when the deer can simply jump a fence. Yes, you do your part in your management program; however, it means nothing when that deer you are giving a pass to ends up getting shot across the fence. You killed a trash 7pt and your neighbor killed your young 12pt- neither get to pass on their genes or mature, so your management goal is a wash. How hard is it to comprehend that?

But... if the low-fence property is a few thousand acres (5k+), that might change things a little- at least in favor of culling, IMO.

Last edited by Roy; 10-20-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #66
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:

Or better yet why not shoot the top 20 bucks and leave the rest? Is it making sense now?

Yeah that Don't Work. Has Been Done and Proven Many Many Times on Most Ranches in South Texas to Mexico
Mex. Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #67
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:

flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #68
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Semantics is a *****
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #69
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Do fat cull deer taste different?
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #70
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I'm sorry, but 'culling' on a low-fence property IS simply killing. You have absolutely no control over your herd's genetics when the deer can simply jump a fence. Yes, you do your part in your management program; however, it means nothing when that deer you are giving a pass to ends up getting shot across the fence. You killed a trash 7pt and your neighbor killed your young 12pt- neither get to pass on their genes or mature, so your management goal is a wash. How hard is it to comprehend that?

But... if the low-fence property is a few thousand acres (5k+), that might change things a little- at least in favor of culling, IMO.
Let me ask you this...you hunt 1300 acres low-fence. You HAVE to kill a certain number of bucks. You have a 5 yr old 82” 7 point and a 5 year old 120” 10 point in front of you. Which one will you shoot? Why? Keep in mind your target age on “trophy” bucks is 8 years old.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #71
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I love culling Cull, management buck, non trophy is all the same to me Also I don't like spending thousands of dollars in feed on 115 -130 mature 8 points or less like some do.
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #72
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Argue this till y’all are blue in the face but I think the studies have shown that you can Cull or Kill all you want but the effects of that technique are not a drop in the bucket compared to using age and nutrition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #73
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Let me ask you this...you hunt 1300 acres low-fence. You HAVE to kill a certain number of bucks. You have a 5 yr old 82” 7 point and a 5 year old 120” 10 point in front of you. Which one will you shoot? Why? Keep in mind your target age on “trophy” bucks is 8 years old.
I'd shoot the 7pt and get off that lease! A 5 year old 120" 10 pt isn't a place for me to hunt!
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #74
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Call it culling or killing you’re doing the same thing with the same goal. Reduce mouth and when deciding which to remove leaving the ones with the most potential. N Tx, Hill Country, S Tx, or Mexico all doing it. Who cares what you call it
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #75
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I see we have a Cotulla cowboy hung up on semantics in our midst....

One can 100% cull/kill less desirable deer out of the herd to remove mouths to allow their better traited deer better nutrition resources. All without any regards concerning improving overall genetics and with full regard for trying to grow the deer alive in front of you bigger. This is not that hard. Age and nutrition availability are things you can control with culling....genetics are not..

Is culling, killing?.....well of course it is. Selection and rejection for a purpose ...aka culling. If one is a Cotulla Cowboy or a DillyBar and they can't get past this, call it what you or your armchair biologist manual says....just don't get your panties in a wad when folks use the word in its true definition.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #76
sneaky freak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus tx, mexico

They are all culls, kill em all! Kill kill kill
sneaky freak is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #77
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

One can 100% cull/kill less desirable deer out of the herd to remove mouths to allow their better traited deer better nutrition resources. All without any regards concerning improving overall genetics and with full regard for trying to grow the deer alive in front of you bigger. This is not that hard. Age and nutrition availability are things you can control with culling....genetics are not..

Is culling, killing?.....well of course it is. Selection and rejection for a purpose ...aka culling. If one is a Cotulla Cowboy or a DillyBar and they can't get past this, call it what you or your armchair biologist manual says....just don't get your panties in a wad when folks use the word in its true definition.
Bean cooker you take life too seriously... step away from that table a bit

Culling vs. Population Control are two completely different subjects. You can cull a couple of deer on a high fence ranch you don't like ( has nothing to do with population)... or you can go kill 20 does to help with population control ( has nothing to do with culling) .

If you're LF, unless you have thousands upon thousands of acres you're killing. I can back it up with study after study.... what are you backing it up with? Beans in chili?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #78
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

Culling vs. Population Control are two completely different subjects. You can cull a couple of deer on a high fence ranch you don't like ( has nothing to do with population)... or you can go kill 20 does to help with population control ( has nothing to do with culling) .

If you're LF, unless you have thousands upon thousands of acres you're killing. I can back it up with study after study.... what are you backing it up with? Beans in chili?
If it doesn’t work then why not let those 4+ year old 6/7/8 points live until they die of old age?
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #79
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
If it doesn’t work then why not let those 4+ year old 6/7/8 points live until they die of old age?
Sometimes I do. How do you like this 5 year old 4 point?

Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #80
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sometimes I do. How do you like this 5 year old 4 point?

What about the times you don’t? What do you consider that?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #81
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:

Population control will also include bucks. If your taking 10 bucks with those 20 does and pay no mind to the age or quality of the buck it killing. If you do pay attention to the age and quality to determine which bucks to take you’re back to culling. It’s the same goal with a different name. I’d bet you do it LF in Mexico just like we do. Killing, culling, management they’re all just deer getting shot because they aren’t worth keeping on the feed bill
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #82
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Population control will also include bucks. If your taking 10 bucks with those 20 does and pay no mind to the age or quality of the buck it killing. If you do pay attention to the age and quality to determine which bucks to take you’re back to culling. It’s the same goal with a different name. I’d bet you do it LF in Mexico just like we do. Killing, culling, management they’re all just deer getting shot because they aren’t worth keeping on the feed bill
Bingo. The end.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #83
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agree, that was just an example, the killing does for population control.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #84
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
If you want to reduce mouths go for it, but that's killing not culling. Call it what it is.

You are confusing me laughing and making light of your absoluteness because your pocket manual says something.... push away from the TTHA and QDMA circle jerk..

Is this where I add a few of these..

Again....WE ARE NOT THINKING WE ARE IMPROVING OVERALL GENETICS...WE ARE JUST TRYING TO IMPROVE THE INDIVIDUAL DEER WE HAVE THAT SHOW BETTER TRAITS by selecting and rejecting......I have said that at least 4 times now. Good grief!
Old 10-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #85
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are confusing me laughing and making light of your absoluteness because your pocket manual says something.... push away from the TTHA and QDMA circle jerk..

Is this where I add a few of these..

Again....WE ARE NOT THINKING WE ARE IMPROVING OVERALL GENETICS...WE ARE JUST TRYING TO IMPROVE THE INDIVIDUAL DEER WE HAVE THAT SHOW BETTER TRAITS by selecting and rejecting......I have said that at least 4 times now. Good grief!
I like me some QDMA, maybe you should check them out. Might help reduce some of your mistakes Could care less about TTHA. Now I have some beans to stir... good day gents!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #86
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I like me some QDMA, maybe you should check them out. Might help reduce some of your mistakes Could care less about TTHA. Now I have some beans to stir... good day gents!

Couldn't*..

You also misspelled...."Smart...I don't know why I keep mentioning improving genetics when you have said you aren't doing that 4 times......"

Last edited by Smart; 10-20-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #87
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Couldn't*..

You also misspelled...."Smart...I don't know why I keep mentioning improving genetics when you have said you aren't doing that 4 times......" I guess you just skipped over that
Lmao! Go 'stros!!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #88
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
population control will also include bucks. If your taking 10 bucks with those 20 does and pay no mind to the age or quality of the buck it killing. If you do pay attention to the age and quality to determine which bucks to take you’re back to culling. It’s the same goal with a different name. I’d bet you do it lf in mexico just like we do. Killing, culling, management they’re all just deer getting shot because they aren’t worth keeping on the feed bill

Thank you Bobby!!!!! ...
Old 10-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #89
zztex
Pope & Young

Shane, you and Smart are both friends of mine, but you’re wrong about one thing. If you think you will get the last word in on Smart!😂😂😂. If either one of you friends need someone to help “cull”, let me know. Have bow and gun and will travel!😂
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #90
skinsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

At what point does management take the excitement out of a hunt? I know a few guys who have managed deer herds until they lost the excitement and never hunted again. For what it’s worth you can grow big deer on a big low fence place, just feed em and let em get old. Letting em get old is much harder than I ever imagined LoL
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #91
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
Shane, you and Smart are both friends of mine, but you’re wrong about one thing. If you think you will get the last word in on Smart!������. If either one of you friends need someone to help “cull”, let me know. Have bow and gun and will travel!��

Shane and I are good...Just a little friendly banter
Old 10-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #92
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
Shane, you and Smart are both friends of mine, but you’re wrong about one thing. If you think you will get the last word in on Smart!������. If either one of you friends need someone to help “cull”, let me know. Have bow and gun and will travel!��
Lmao! I ain't worried about Smart. I enjoy the camaraderie. Makes life more interesting , I enjoy his post 99 percent of the time and will continue to do so. ( Just don't put beans in chili )

I'm just an 'ol Cotulla Cowboy and he's a Bean Cooker. I'll say it was funny as chit seeing him get wound up ( he'll say he wasn't).
Old 10-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #93
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
At what point does management take the excitement out of a hunt? I know a few guys who have managed deer herds until they lost the excitement and never hunted again. For what it’s worth you can grow big deer on a big low fence place, just feed em and let em get old. Letting em get old is much harder than I ever imagined LoL

I get real excited when a big (for our place) deer walks in and I shoot it.

That's good enough for me. I don't need to be excited or shoot every buck I see. Heck I don't even shoot a buck every year and we have a large deer population..
Old 10-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #94
Roy
Ten Point

Quote:
I'd shoot both- if the management plan of the ranch calls for it. I'm not questioning anyone's management practices. I'm just saying they don't often work as intended for small low-fence properties.

Management goals for age/genetics/population size/etc..., mean nothing if that 7pt or 10pt (should they be targeted) makes it through the season on your neighbor's un-hunted property.

Quote:

Can you cull those 'undesirable' deer if they migrate to your neighbor's property during hunting season?

And believe me, my panties aren't in a wad.

Last edited by Roy; 10-20-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #95
Cookiemonster1
Six Point

Hunt In: lampasas,brady

ttt
Cookiemonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #96
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I think the experts like Kroll are selling whatever BS that puts money in their pocket. It'll change every few years to reinfuse the interest and spending on crap that will line their pockets.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #97
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

On our 2800 LF place, any buck without brow tines is considered a cull. What do you guys think about that? It’s not my rule, but a lease rule nonetheless. I’m really interested in opinions on this
sbushee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #98
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

sbushee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #99
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can you cull those 'undesirable' deer if they migrate to your neighbor's property during hunting season?

Nope and I couldn’t kill them either .
Old 10-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #100
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
On our 2800 LF place, any buck without brow tines is considered a cull. What do you guys think about that? It’s not my rule, but a lease rule nonetheless. I’m really interested in opinions on this
Nothin wrong with it. I hunt less than 600 ac and if it dont have brow tines it's free game.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top