Never Agreed With Inside Spread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I’ve never agreed with B/C scoring system using inside spread as apposed to outside measurement. I’ve always considered it to be punishing a deer on mass. My point, hypothetically a deer 20” wide outside with only 20” of mass and spindley antlers might measure 18” inside. The same deer with 20” outside measurement with 40 inches of mass will likely be around 16” thus being penalized. And I ask you which would be the more desirable deer. I just have never seen the logic. What are your thoughts?

I think your math is off.
    If it measures 16" inside between 2 straws or 2 telephone poles its all the same. 16" is 16".

Now if you mad because a heavy horned buck wont make legal.. I understand. Thats exactly what the law is there for. 85% of deer hunters in Texas will talk a Big I only shoot BIG bucks game. Let it get to the end of season. The "cull" they shot that you never got a pic of.... turns out its a 3yo 13" 8 point.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
      I think your math is off.
      If it measures 16" inside between 2 straws or 2 telephone poles its all the same. 16" is 16". .

He wants to measure from the outside edge not the inside. There is no in between . So he’s including the telephone pole width or the straw width … which would make a difference.

Interesting concept but I’m 52 and have never once considered it [emoji23]
      Last edited by Smart; 11-12-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

My thoughts are, does it affect the taste or volume of the meat ? If it doesn’t then I don’t care.

Comment

No sir. My math isn’t wrong. The point I’m trying to make is that 2 deer have an equal 20” outside spread measurement. One has 20” of mass and the other 40”. The pencil horn will receive a better spread credit on the score sheet.

Comment

Mass is accounted for in the mass measurements, no need to add extra credit for mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              No sir. My math isn’t wrong. The point I’m trying to make is that 2 deer have an equal 20” outside spread measurement. One has 20” of mass and the other 40”. The pencil horn will receive a better spread credit on the score sheet.
              The other will receive a better mass credit. 6 & 2 3s

Comment

i like it. lets start a movement.

Comment

I agree that mass < length/height in the scoring system and I dont like that aspect. For the record I dont really care about score. I dont play that game when hunting, I also dont have any problems with those that do, but agree you are correct in your synopsis.

Comment

I would think the deer with the larger mass would more than make up the 4 inch difference with the mass measurements. If you wanted to get really picky, eliminate spread credit totally, then you are just measuring antler. I don't think anyone would be in favor of that since the big three questions are: How many points, how wide and how tall.

Comment

You can be upset with the scoring system but everyone scores based on the same system, and has for as long as I've been alive. So you not liking the system is basically just wishing a three digit number was a little bit bigger three digit number than was it currently is. JMO but I think your making a mountain out of mole hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Ok I’ve never agreed with B/C scoring system using inside spread as apposed to outside measurement. I’ve always considered it to be punishing a deer on mass. My point, hypothetically a deer 20” wide outside with only 20” of mass and spindley antlers might measure 18” inside. The same deer with 20” outside measurement with 40 inches of mass will likely be around 16” thus being penalized. And I ask you which would be the more desirable deer. I just have never seen the logic. What are your thoughts?

I agree. Inside antler spread and bra sizes. All messed up. I mean everyone celebrates double Ds but heck a big ol fat gal can have them while really perky Cs on a fit gal are far superior. Agree???? Its just unfair and we should start a protest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                          I would think the deer with the larger mass would more than make up the 4 inch difference with the mass measurements. If you wanted to get really picky, eliminate spread credit totally, then you are just measuring antler. I don't think anyone would be in favor of that since the big three questions are: How many points, how wide and how tall.
                          Agree with what was said here. Lots of differing opinions on measuring. Me, I ask about score just to get an idea and out of curiosity. When hunting I don’t concern myself with score at all. If I like it and think it will look good on my wall and it is legal ….. I’m good. I’ve been to lots of big buck contest and almost always find a lower scoring buck that I like better than the winner. Did I get off subject? Sorry.😂

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                            You can be upset with the scoring system but everyone scores based on the same system, and has for as long as I've been alive. So you not liking the system is basically just wishing a three digit number was a little bit bigger three digit number than was it currently is. JMO but I think your making a mountain out of mole hill.
                            this.

It would make sense if a rack was getting punished or received a deduction based on a measurement but everyone uses the same measurement rules for every rack, so altering the process has no advantage to one or the other

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              I agree. Inside antler spread and bra sizes. All messed up. I mean everyone celebrates double Ds but heck a big ol fat gal can have them while really perky Cs on a fit gal are far superior. Agree???? Its just unfair and we should start a protest.
                              LMAO! Need to change the scoring system to account for mass

Comment

Working...
                              X