• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaw bone age round 2 (better pics)

How old….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Aging deer by a jawbone has been proved to be highly inaccurate. In a study done by qdma on known age deer, trained biologists were only accurate 71.9% of the time.

So do not expect any better results here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylab View Post
        Aging deer by a jawbone has been proved to be highly inaccurate. In a study done by qdma on known age deer, trained biologists were only accurate 71.9% of the time.

So do not expect any better results here.
        I haven't seen a study where they did that good. That said, this is a fully mature deer. I dunno how old.

Comment

Using the criteria outlined in the Severinhaus method, classic 5.5.

Comment

From the teeth aging methods I have been shown/taught that deer is over 5.5 Aging deer by their teeth is about as accurate as a Covid test and once they get past 5.5 you are really taking a WAG. But that is definitely a mature deer.

Comment

Comment

Guys, the OP did not ask about the merits of aging by teeth... He asked how old this deer is based on the given process (regardless of its accuracy)...
                That deer is a classic 5 1/2 year old by tooth wear...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Guys, the OP did not ask about the merits of aging by teeth... He asked how old this deer is based on the given process (regardless of its accuracy)...
                  That deer is a classic 5 1/2 year old by tooth wear...
                  No he didn't... he asked how old. All we can guess is that the deer was mature. We don't know how old and you don't either .

20 years ago, I was really good at tooth aging. Now..after many thousands of pics and many years of history, I realize just how bad off I was.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 10-27-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

All any of us can tell you is that he was mature. I think that "by the book" the right side of the jaw can be argued for 6, while the left side clearly shows 5. But that is by the "book" of aging by the teeth, which is a horrible way to try to accurately age a deer. History is the best method. Don't let anyone tell you different. It seems agreed upon by most that those teeth show 5, but as to how old the deer actually was, no one knows. I think it's VERY safe to say he was older than 5.

Comment

5-6 years

Comment

Working...
                      X