Is this the same deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the same deer?

If so - what happened? He was a slick 8 two years ago, threw the split last year when I thought he was 4 and now seems to be on the decline. After the wet year down south I had high expectations for him.
    Attached Files

Looks like the same deer. Antlers very similar. Markings on his face are all the same.

Comment

Same deer for sure. No telling on the decline. Could be age or bad nutrition this year due to bad luck, no rain, or disease. I have had bucks decline greatly from 4 to 5 and then blow back at 6.
      Last edited by 44mAG; 10-20-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I would say the same deer too

Comment

looks the same to me

Comment

All the above

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't think so. The white under the eyes around tear duct is different and it looks like facial markings slightly differ. I think same genetics are possible but I think it's a different buck personally.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                Same deer for sure. No telling on the decline. Could be age or bad nutrition this year due to bad luck, no rain, or disease. I have had bucks decline greatly from 4 to 5 and then blow back at 6.
                Yes, we had the big flood during growing season and the deer got displaced for sure. He was a regular and just made it back. He smoked the protein last year but I basically missed most of this year because my feeders floated down river a ways. But, I'm also told McMullen browse contains lots of protein so who knows. Now the dilemma is cull him or wait and see if he rebounds next year. Never going to be a monster but only deer with a little bit of "junk" which i like.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't think so. The white under the eyes around tear duct is different and it looks like facial markings slightly differ. I think same genetics are possible but I think it's a different buck personally.
                  I thought the same thing, very similar but I think they are different

Comment

I have another that I aged about the same that is junk and going to be culled this year anyway - he has a significant drop in the hardware as well. Little bit concerning...

But, we do have several up and comers that look great so who knows

Comment

When in doubt, error in favor of the deer. Letting him roll another year isn’t hurting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Different deer

Comment

I do not believe those are the same deer. Face markings are different and his antlers have more differences than similarities.

Comment

Diff deer….same genetics but different deer

Comment

I don’t think that’s the same deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X