Tractor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor recommendation

Very new to the game. I just bought 11.5 acres with a house. About 3 acres is yard/ house that I can handle with my zero turn. The rest is tall grass and several large oaks and will need mowing 4-6 times per year.
    What’s y’all’s recommendation for a tractor and shredder?
    Once I clean up the trees, they won’t be a problem to work around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have heavy brush to cut, a big zero turn can handle all that as well as a small tractor and shredder. A 30 hp. tractor and a 5 foot shredder would do fine, if you went that route, and allow you to get under and close to most oaks with very little tree trimming. I do more acres than that with a 6 foot shredder, but only mow it once a year..

Comment

Tractor recommendation

40-50 horsepower Kubota with front end loader and a 12’ batwing mower spend a little money and save a little time with the bigger mower. Those front end loaders are a life saver and those little kubota tractors run forever and are tough little tractors.

Comment

The common response is buy bigger than you think you'd need. If you've got trees though, you can go too big. A 30-50 horse utility tractor with a 5-6 foot heavy duty shredder would work well, and last you a whole lot longer than a zero turn with heavier cutting. Plus if you want, you can get a front end loader. You don't know how useful they are until you have one.

Comment

Unless you plan on adding acreage a small 30 hp with fel would do fine. You darn sure don’t need a batwing shredder. A five or six footer would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            Unless you plan on adding acreage a small 30 hp with fel would do fine. You darn sure don’t need a batwing shredder. A five or six footer would be fine.
            X2

Only other thing I can add is be sure is get a mower wider than your tractor width. Makes getting close around stuff a lot easier. I see these posts like this and no one mentions this.

Comment

I believe a 25 horse and under do not have DPF filters. I manage a fleet of yellow trucks and deal with DPF filters and costs every day, there’s no way I would have one on a tractor that I plan to own for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
                I believe a 25 horse and under do not have DPF filters. I manage a fleet of yellow trucks and deal with DPF filters and costs every day, there’s no way I would have one on a tractor that I plan to own for many years.
                How often do you have to clean a DPF filter?

Comment

I bought a Kubota L2501 last year and love it for our little 10 acre plot. You can only use a 5' shredder as mentioned above though. If you want the 6' so it extends outside your wheelbase you need to jump up to the 38 hp, regardless manufacturer. We bought a 5' tiller also and love it. The 25 and 38's in Kubota or John Deere will come on the same body and front end loader. Just a matter of if you need more HP at the PTO.

Definitely get the front end loader. I use mine almost daily!

Comment

Get you an older Ford diesel Tractor and call it a day. Pretty hassle free, starts every time, an absolute workhorse and easy to work on if need be. Ford 3000 or Ford 4000 would be plenty with a 5 or 6 ft mower.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Been very happy with my Kioti CK2610 with FEL and 5’ shredders for my 40 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                        Very new to the game. I just bought 11.5 acres with a house. About 3 acres is yard/ house that I can handle with my zero turn. The rest is tall grass and several large oaks and will need mowing 4-6 times per year.
                        What’s y’all’s recommendation for a tractor and shredder?
                        Once I clean up the trees, they won’t be a problem to work around.

pm coming

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                          How often do you have to clean a DPF filter?
                          I’m not sure what hours they suggest on a tractor. They still will need to be reginned and if you have any problems with it you will have to load it up and take it to a dealer.

Comment

Look at Mahindra's. Can still get decent horsepower (40+) without DEF I believe.

Comment

I’d def recommend a HST transmission. Have it on my Kioti and really like it more than I thought I would. One of those, you didn’t know you needed it until you had it. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X