Feeder Pen Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen Suggestions

Back story: So I hunt off my FIL’s place in Jim Wells County. We have a plethora of hogs and I suggested we start killing them mercilessly to which he said he did not want to do that and that he preferred hogs over deer… Well growing up in STX that’s how we always did it, kill them, shoot them, obliterate them any way any how you can. The funny thing is we never had a major decrease in the bastages… My FIL is from Michigan where you eat what you kill and I can respect that but, with hogs it’s a different story IMO.

Back to the subject, I am thinking about proposing to him a scenario where we have a feeder just for hogs, and a feeder for deer that has the feeder enclosed behind cattle panel. My question for the masses is, how big and what shape feed pen would be best? I have never built one, the concept seems simple enough, just looking to gain further knowledge. Any help is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round. As big as possible.

Comment

My feeder pens have a minimum of 12 panels and make them round if at all possible. I use the 34” hog panels and get them from Tractor Supply. To me the more panels the better. Don’t over think it, it’s only a feeder pen.

Comment

Hog panels and round also. You will need a t-post where each panel comes together and also on in the middle of each panel. I’d go no smaller than 10 panels. 20 is ideal

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Hog panels and round also. You will need a t-post where each panel comes together and also on in the middle of each panel. I’d go no smaller than 10 panels. 20 is ideal
          This

Comment

10-12 seems overkill until you build it. Then you'll wish you listened and used 20.

I built my last 2 w/12 panels. Lease members though I was crazy. (TOO BIG they said) Wrong, I wish I would have used 15 and had room for another feeder.

Comment

We use 15 panels on our feeder pens. Our hog problem was so bad it was pushing the deer off the feeders. So we close them all up except for one pen. That feeder pen we made into the shape of a number SIX. With some T posts we leave it open when we are not there and the idea is when we are there we close it up and drop a lot of corn to have them push in and the panel closes up behind them. We haven't set it yet but I'm hoping it works. The hogs go in there every night. Oh the best money I have ever spent at the deer lease was for a gas powered T post driver from Home Depot. If your patient they go on sale every once in a while for $300.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                All of mine are 20 panels like AC said above and I believe they are ideal.

Comment

Working...
                X