2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

With everything thats going on I have noticed a significant increase in people buying chickens and also asking lots of beginner questions. So I figured I would start a thread to share information and also to ask questions.

My wife and I have had laying hens for the last 8 year's or so. Here's is a video my wife recently made with a few tips for beginners.

I absolutely love chickens. As a kid I raised a mini bantam rooster that slept in my room. I’ve been thinking of getting some for the ranch to raise. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

I have 25 Buff Orpington's due to ship on Monday. We kept chickens for 20+ years but this will be my first batch since moving. I have missed good eggs and meat. Nothing makes a chicken taste better then them pecking through cow chit.....

-john

Comment

We have a couple dozen chickens. Some full size production blues and Hampshires and then a few Japanese bantams

Comment

We have eggs running out of our ears.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	60658157024__7A526F93-81A0-4E11-B62B-7000F1BD96BB.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	24612742

Comment

Man, I miss my chickens and those yummy tasting eggs.

Comment

We have ten hens and a rooster. Some are 3 yrs old, most a year old. During this time, they are quite popular as the eggs keep coming! We give any extras away since it is the wife and I.

Comment

My wife had chickens for years, but not for the last 4-5. Our new batch will be here in about 3 weeks. l love me some yard eggs.

Comment

About a year ago I started with a small backyard coop and 2 hens. They laid often and I enjoyed keeping them. 6 weeks ago I upgraded to a larger coop and added 2 more hens. The guy at the feed store highly recommended getting hens the same size to add to the original 2 and I did. I have been surprised how rough the older hens were on the younger. The first couple days they guarded the food and water from them and were always fighting and pecking them. All egg production stopped, which I expected. Now I am on week 5 and things have settled and they are starting to commingle but still no production. Any tips or things to try? Or just a waiting game of letting the new pecking order establish?

Comment

Originally posted by Browning270 View Post
                    About a year ago I started with a small backyard coop and 2 hens. They laid often and I enjoyed keeping them. 6 weeks ago I upgraded to a larger coop and added 2 more hens. The guy at the feed store highly recommended getting hens the same size to add to the original 2 and I did. I have been surprised how rough the older hens were on the younger. The first couple days they guarded the food and water from them and were always fighting and pecking them. All egg production stopped, which I expected. Now I am on week 5 and things have settled and they are starting to commingle but still no production. Any tips or things to try? Or just a waiting game of letting the new pecking order establish?
                    Do you have any ceramic eggs in the nest?
                    I have a few just in case of snakes.
                    My hens generally lay more eggs in the nests that have the ceramic eggs.
                    I have used golf balls as well.

Comment

I’m In the process of building a Coop/Run right now. 15’x75’ Run with a coop/brooder house at the end. Planning on mostly turkeys instead of chickens, but will have it sectioned up with a chicken section.

Comment

Originally posted by Browning270 View Post
                        No tips just time.

We have a very dominate Jersey Giant that killed a few pullets we added to our flock.

About 6 weeks ago we added 4 hens the same size as ours and they still rarely mingle.

Comment

Great information and thank you for taking the time. Learned a whole lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I got home from my fishing trip yesterday to find 4 hens in a hastily constructed pen. Guess we're homesteaders now.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I want Chickens BAD. Maybe next year... I always loved piddling in the chicken coops as a kid. Now that I have property I want do build me a coop and do it myself. Unfortunately you have to prioritize.

Comment

Working...
                              X