No announcement yet.

Dr. Deer & Late Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve hunted the luckenbach area, then straight to Oklahoma for a week and now at our place in Navarro county and I can tell you the rut was late in all three locations compared to at least the last 5 years but only by maybe 7-10 days not 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey. You have to say something different of you can't sell yourself.

Comment

We been seeing buck activity for a month now. Chasing at the same time as usual, we are now headinginto the later part of the breeding phase. Not seeing as much movement now

Comment

I watched a buck breed a doe 3 or 4 weeks ago in Bandera. And bucks were pushing does for a week before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have seen absolutely no difference this year. It always amazes me how many people think the rut doesn’t start until around Thanksgiving. I’m my experience, here in north Texas, I always see activity starting in October and it’s full blown peaking by the second week of November. Then, you can still find them chasing in February when they find a hot doe.

Comment

Bucks are grouped back up in polk county

Comment

I’ve seen a. Couple bucks chasing..

Usually this week I can start rattling with some good success, but I’ve rattled for the last three days and zero interest around Dewitt and Gonzales counties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the "rut" defined as? If there's a hot doe in Oct. and you see a buck chasing it, is that the "rut"? What about in Jan. when they are still chasing that last doe? My take on it is that people see something and call it the rut but from what I've seen it's when you don't see bucks and you don't see any doe and the woods are quite when they should be busy. Every year this time of year all of the shooters in the same week disappear and a couple of young bucks and yearling doe are left at the feeders. I guess what I'm saying is when you don't see any activity that's when the "rut" is at it's peak. but a doe can come into heat and cause a rutting buck to chase from Oct. to Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                    I used to buy his moon phase theory...but living in the same deer woods for going on 30 years convinces me that rut timing is 100% photoperiod. Big bucks show up...chasing peeks...and scrapes start gathering leaves the same time every year in the places I hunt.
                    I absoultely agree with the above statement. I as well, do not buy into the moon phase theory.

Comment

Dr. Dufus strikes again. Just when you think he can’t come up with another stupid theory. Bam!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Lots of East Texas hunters will be disappointed when the December report comes out.
                        That’s what I was eluding to. I’ve already gotten my buck, but I’m going to sit in the woods this weekend a little bit just to see what all of the late rut fuss is all about.

Comment

If DR. DEER says it take it to the bank. I dare anyone to try and change his mind.

Comment

Dr deer…. Hmmmmm, What do those fools pay that guy to come on their farm and tell them when to plant something and how old a deer is, etc??? I want his job…

Comment

Working...
                            X