No announcement yet.

Lease pics - a little concerning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve had lots of these bucks this year and never before then. I think the early browse was lacking after the freeze?

Comment

Let all your 3.5-4.5 year old ten points or more go and start shooting the bucks without brow tines. Once you got rid of those, then start on the 3.5-4.5 year old eight points. It will not get better over night, but in about 5 years, you will be seeing and shooting deer with more than 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
        Age (lack of it) is the bigger issue judging strictly from what was posted.
        X2, agree with this one sentence analysis by TwoHighways. These youngsters just need more time being a live deer in Texas.

Comment

The success of a management program isn't dictated by what you do to the small end, rather how you manage the deer with potential (upper end). Over-culling young deer simply results in a reduced age structure, with the antlers associated with a young age structure.

Comment

put some cameras out on the trails in the brush / woods.

Comment

Like mentioned above absolutely nothing wrong with those deer. They are just young prob all yearling bucks.
              We are on a low fence lease in west Tx, we never shoot a buck under 5yo. We have very few spike and trash deer. Age is a lot more important than genetics in most cases. Just give them time and they will grow.

Comment

Easy to break that cycle, just let them get some age

Comment

Just some babies

Comment

It took us 6 years to finally start seeing good symmetrical bucks. Spent the first 5 years taking out the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like my trailcam pics in San Saba. There were bigger bucks before the rut but since then it has only been the babies looking for food.

Comment

We have one feeder pen that has 6-7 spikes. We also killed a 163” at that same blind a couple weeks ago. Those deer just need a few years to see what they’re going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Babies let them get 3 and see what they are

Comment

Working...
                          X