No announcement yet.

tp@wd trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower trout limits + $3 a gallon gas and rising= a bunch of expensive bay boats for sale in the future..

Comment

Well thats one way to discourage folks from even going fishing.

Comment

How about make it simple with a 3 fish limit from 15" to 25"? I don't need to spend all morning pinching tails trying to make a fish 17" and having to release fish that have been handled a bunch only for them not to survive. I don't mind the 3 fish limit assuming they move it back to 5 in September of 2023.

If it equates to less boats on the water then so be it. I have never fully understood the need to keep a bunch of fish for people to get out on the water and enjoy nature with family in friends. The truth of the matter is I would fish just as much if there was a 1 fish limit as I would with a 100 fish limit.
        Last edited by Pin Oak DXT; 11-04-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Are they going to lower the slot and increase the limit for reds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I would love for them to lower the slot to 16" on reds. Those are the ones I like to eat!

Comment

Some of you guys act like you are gonna starve if you can’t keep your five trout. You can still catch as many as you want you just can’t keep them. I don’t know about up the coast but our fish in Mansfield were severely impacted by the freeze.
            We haven’t kept a trout since. Plenty of redfish and drum to eat. Makes since on the 17 inch minimum trying to increase total numbers by protecting smaller fish. Hope we rebound quick but I think it’s gonna be a while before I see the big fish numbers we had pre freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              It is a bit puzzling. It's one thing to just disagree on limit details eg: which slot limit will be most effective long term - but there are a fair number who resent any attempt to keep them from filling their box every time they go. The problem is and will always be the huge and increasing number of fishermen. That can't be controlled by government fiat so reduced limits is about the only tool they have.
              Not true at all, we care about the resource more than you do since we live down here and use it. Yes when I get my chances to fish and hit it right, I dam sure want to keep my share of the fish that I pay for. Now I may hit it right 15 out of the 25 times a year I fish. So say all in maybe 20 limits a yr of total fish kept. 10% of recreational fisherman catch 90% of the fish. The resource is not in trouble is the point (maybe limit the mansfield area). You want to jumpstart the resource, cut the guides down to nothing for a year. They will have the same number of Kept fish in 10 days (fishing 3-4 guys a day and on a bad day they are keeping more than one limit) that I have in a year and pay just a little bit more than me for the resource a year. There's 100s if not thousands of guides doing this up and down the coast, you do the math. This stuff will never go back to normal even with the expirations. Watch
              Last edited by Mossback; 11-04-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                How about make it simple with a 3 fish limit from 15" to 25"? I don't need to spend all morning pinching tails trying to make a fish 17" and having to release fish that have been handled a bunch only for them not to survive. I don't mind the 3 fish limit assuming they move it back to 5 in September of 2023.

If it equates to less boats on the water then so be it. I have never fully understood the need to keep a bunch of fish for people to get out on the water and enjoy nature with family in friends. The truth of the matter is I would fish just as much if there was a 1 fish limit as I would with a 100 fish limit.
                There have been some really encouraging studies on trout mortality in regards to catch and release. Basically, if you gut hook it, it is gonna die. If you don't, it will live somewhere between 75-90% of the time. I can't remember the particulars exactly. Also, as part of the study, they tried to overhandle fish, keep them out too long, rub the slime off, etc and it didn't have much effect on mortality rates.

Trout are tougher than we think.

Comment

I can’t wait for all these people that want to complain about the limits to stay home. Less pressure for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                    Isn't anybody interested in the resource anymore? Why is it always get as much as you can get however I can get it?
                    No TPWD isnt interested in the resource they are interested in control. They would be doing alot of things different if they were truly interested in the resource.

Comment

Cutting guides down isn't the answer.

Boats are expensive and guides are a great alternative to owning a boat for a few trips a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                        Not true at all, we care about the resource more than you do since we live down here and use it. Yes when I get my chances to fish and hit it right, I dam sure want to keep my share of the fish that I pay for. Now I may hit it right 15 out of the 25 times a year I fish. So say all in maybe 20 limits a yr of total fish kept. 10% of recreational fisherman catch 90% of the fish. The resource is not in trouble is the point (maybe limit the mansfield area). You want to jumpstart the resource, cut the guides down to nothing for a year. They will have the same number of Kept fish in 10 days (fishing 3-4 guys a day and on a bad day they are keeping more than one limit) that I have in a year and pay just a little bit more than me for the resource a year. There's 100s if not thousands of guides doing this up and down the coast, you do the math. This stuff will never go back to normal even with the expirations. Watch
                        Where do you fish? I'm guessing these recommendations are only for the coast south of the JFK Causeway.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          Where do you fish? I'm guessing these recommendations are only for the coast south of the JFK Causeway.

I fish from Galveston to corpus. These recommendations are all the way to Sargent. Same deal with the 5 fish limit. Started down south then went to Sargent, then continued up the coast. They are not going to follow the expirations on this stuff.

Comment

Article in the Comical.

Indeed from Sargent to Brownsville.

Comment

Mossback - I was just getting ready to say that my perspective is very different from those of you on the coast as I only get down there 2-4 times a year - sometimes with guides sometimes with friends who have boats. I think we agree that the problem is too many fishermen and I see your point about guides, but I don't know how you solve that other than with reduced limits. I can't imagine them restricting the number of guides but I guess its possible. Maybe they figure the smaller limits will reduce the number of fishermen enough to cause some of the guides to hang it up. Personally I'm fine just keeping reds and black drum for a while - much of why I go is for the experience of spending a few days on the coast. Different for those that live there I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                                That has already been offered to the public in the past and public comment has always shut it down. When offered the public has always overwhelmingly said leave it like it is.
                                Thank you. I havent ever heard it brought up. I'll have to pay closer attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X