Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does TPWD wait so long to draw hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does TPWD wait so long to draw hunts?

Anyone else get frustrated that we have like 43,213 different TPWD hunt draw dates and they are so late in the season? Can we just draw everything on 2-3 dates, or at least have them drawn by September so we can plan?

You plan on drawing something? That is optimism.

Comment

for what it's worth, I have only been doing the drawn hunts for two years and so far I have drawn 4 hunts.

Kevin I hate to say it but I disagree, but can absolutely see your point. I like the "get it over with" mentality most of the time, however, I like the fact this is...dare I say...drawn out.

For me, it's like 3 months worth of planning, hoping, trying to figure out what I want, etc etc. There's almost a strategy to it, also. Since this is only year 2, I am applying for everything and if I get anything, great. If not, which - most of the time - I am not hitting any, that is ok. Once I've built up some points I believe I'll just apply for the ones I really want. But for now, it feels like Christmas every other week to see if I've won anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        Anyone else get frustrated that we have like 43,213 different TPWD hunt draw dates and they are so late in the season? Can we just draw everything on 2-3 dates, or at least have them drawn by September so we can plan?
        I have always thought that. It would definitely help in the planning of the season and other hunts if you don’t get drawn. I make a calendar of hunts based on draw dates and scratch them off when I don’t get drawn. Only way to do it whiteout overlapping hunts. I have been unlucky twice to have hunts in the same weekend and could only pick one

Comment

Nope. I enjoy the process and the different deadlines.

Comment

Put in the last 4 years none of my apps were even sniffed. Until I get a notification email I could care less how they do it.

Comment

I am sure they have their reasons, but I completely agree. I would much rather know in early June, like other states do...Especially on youth hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                I would much rather know in early June, like other states do...Especially on youth hunts.
                I agree. I just try to plan out my season more than a few months in advance. Even just having all the different draws end before the season starts would be better than what we have now.

Comment

They need to bump up draw dates for exotic, mule deer and hog for sure.

Comment

I prefer to be disappointed in multiple small increments rather than one huge dump all at once. LOL

Comment

You have a point there!

Comment

They don't do it early because most hunting buzz is around this time of the year. Winners are limited already. Get as many applicants as possible to keep bringing in $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          I prefer to be disappointed in multiple small increments rather than one huge dump all at once. LOL

This way I enjoy some small sense of optimism between each draw.

Comment

Working...
                          X