Flounder help Rockport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flounder help Rockport?

Im staying in a condo across the street from Little Bay. Lots of docks and structure but not sure about water as it only has the two inlets. Anyone ever wade these docks and catch flounder? Or the docks further south in town just past the shrimp boats and bait stands? Im just looking for a place to throw on boots and try and catch a few flounder. Have the boat out back and will get that figured out but really just looking for a quickie spot either to walk or quick run in truck. Thanks

You will have better odds if you drive 20 minutes over to to the Aransas Channel between Aranasas pass and the Ferry landing.

Comment

Or just south you can wade off of water st. or shell ridge rd.

Comment

Catch any estuary down there that has a good tidal flow and fish down stream on an outgoing tide. Flounder are opportunist and wait for the bait coming out of the cuts. It can be anything draining from a culvert to a bar ditch emptying into the bay and they will be there.

Comment

Be open to walking a lot for success, especially without a boat. I gig a lot in AP and it's never on fire, but you can find scattered fish. Find flats/shorelines next to channels with sand, grass, or both.

Comment

I have a boat and can go just looking for quickie fish. I get up early and wife sleeps until 730 or 8. If Im planning on something other than fishing I figured Id drive someplace close and try catching a few flatfish for my Mom- ill be here until February so im sure ill figure something out

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              I have a boat and can go just looking for quickie fish. I get up early and wife sleeps until 730 or 8. If Im planning on something other than fishing I figured Id drive someplace close and try catching a few flatfish for my Mom- ill be here until February so im sure ill figure something out
              Won’t be able to keep any this year, but the ship channel in Port A is a prime time spot for flounder during the run.

Comment

My in laws condo has 1 inlet, i typically catch Atleast 1 per trip, somewhere in there. Either close to where the pier and the bulkhead meet, (where you typically see bait). Or right on the edge of some grass that holds bait

Comment

We use to catch quite a few bouncing crappie jigs down the piers on fulton beach. Always 10-30 yards from shore. Never really tried seriously fishing for them, but I’ve heard of people catching them consistently around there.

Comment

Grassy shorelines that are irregular, especially around drains on out going tides. White or orange gulp curl tails on 1/4oz heads. Fish tight to the grass and set the hood like Bill Dance. Good luck.

Comment

south end of the 35 bridge is a reef on the east side. I think its called Tin Can Reef. Between there and the big point to the south holds a lot of flounder in late September. Knee-thigh deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo Sabe View Post
                        Or just south you can wade off of water st. or shell ridge rd.
                        X2 on shell ridge road.

Also the beach park beach has been known to hold some fish.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Catch any estuary down there that has a good tidal flow and fish down stream on an outgoing tide. Flounder are opportunist and wait for the bait coming out of the cuts. It can be anything draining from a culvert to a bar ditch emptying into the bay and they will be there.

This advice is stellar...

.Im not great at much....jack of all trades, master of none.....but I've really learned to pattern flounder over the years after all the countless night walking with a gig and a light in the shallows....I almost always find them and bring home limits even on foot with no boat....I know what spots will produce the best in my bay system based upon time of year, tide, wind direction and recent rainfall.... but I don't care where you fish for flatfish, find where the marsh drains and cuts are and when the tide is moving out and they will lay along the perimeter waiting to ambush a meal...its instinctive for them

Comment

Thanks guys. Drove down Shell Ridge Road and it does look good down by the ditch. Will try when conditions are right

Comment

Working...
                            X