No announcement yet.

Chaparral 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know if they assign pastures like they did last year. I think they may be headed in that direction going forward.

Comment

Hey guys. We decided to rent an RV trailer so my FIL can get out of cold if needed and have a decent bed. At 78 tent camping is not really in the cards for him. We are 3 but will rent one that sleeps 5-6. Is anyone interested in sharing the cost and staying with us?

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
        Hey guys. We decided to rent an RV trailer so my FIL can get out of cold if needed and have a decent bed. At 78 tent camping is not really in the cards for him. We are 3 but will rent one that sleeps 5-6. Is anyone interested in sharing the cost and staying with us?
        I think you all will enjoy that decision. Staying at Chap in a travel trailer is the experiences I've had and am very happy with it. If I don't take my trailer, I would take a cargo trailer parked next to overhead, tarp around to block any N WIND. My father is 76, I can fully understand where you're coming from. In 2017 it snowed and COVERED the Chap. It was an incredible experience, one I don't ever expect to see again. We had a good hunt, I did notice that many primitive campers were gone shortly after the snow. Hunt Group Status Washers were hung on the board denoting Done Hunting on Day 3 noon. Blew my mind, they all left. (No, there were not alot of deer checked in, I recall 3 and 1 wounded at that time.)

The biggest benefit to camping there is your proximity. You just saved yourself mega time. Time driving is the most, but what comes with alternate locations is getting out of where you are and then rolling on the highway. You simply lock and unlock the trailer campground. It's mere minutes away from the Chap gate. Anything else, it's time spent doing that, I prefer the conveniences , proximity, and ability to enter/exit if/when needed. As would a group.

Generator with some boards to funnel sound away if applicable.
        The tarp works very well for creating a shelter outside for gear, cooking, mingling, sitting down to eat, etc.

Time passes very fast on that hunt, it is short. Having things ready, make for a more enjoyable and less hectic camp. Best of luck, will be looking forward to some LDPs from your group.

If you have neighbors, go meet them!

Comment

I got drawn to bow hunt the Chaparral 12/7 - 12/10. Man, I'm fired up! Who's going when I go? Sent me your cell number on a PM and I'll look you up at the campground if you will camping out. Wondering what phase the rut should? I'm guessing pre-rut. I know that the moon phases will be favorable.

Comment

I assume the camping area does not have power or water at this point, correct?

Comment

The RV trailer area does not have power or water. You will need a generator for power.
              The camping area has a shower area and power there only.

Comment

Originally posted by Carta Valley View Post
                I got drawn to bow hunt the Chaparral 12/7 - 12/10. Man, I'm fired up! Who's going when I go? Sent me your cell number on a PM and I'll look you up at the campground if you will camping out. Wondering what phase the rut should? I'm guessing pre-rut. I know that the moon phases will be favorable.
                To me weather, moon and pasture quality is pretty important this time of yr. Rut won't be going yet even tho they will be roaming some and making alot of scrapes. If you hit a good coldfront it could be good.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                  To me weather, moon and pasture quality is pretty important this time of yr. Rut won't be going yet even tho they will be roaming some and making alot of scrapes. If you hit a good coldfront it could be good.
                  That was last years issue in my section. Lot's of scraps on the ground, no doe, and hot weather. All legal shooters disappeared before light(camera verified) and just little ones after sun up. Saying that, there was some good deer killed and some chasing going on but not much action around me. Hoping for a different outcome this year.

Comment

The moon phases are good. Just praying for some cool weather and no strong winds. My last 2 days Thursday and Friday I will be hunting all. day. I have not hunted the Chaparral in about 10 years. You have to take advantage of your hunt while you have it.

Comment

Last year was hot and in the evenings most deer didn’t move until 10 minutes before legal shooting light ended. I would have 2 or 3 show up about 30 minutes early and then when all you can make out were blobs, I would have 10+ deer in my corn.

Don’t start packing up early because you haven’t seen anything.

Good luck to all who were drawn.
                      Last edited by Sideler; 08-24-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        The RV trailer area does not have power or water. You will need a generator for power.
                        The camping area has a shower area and power there only.

There is power at the shower area but it is not available to the campsites at least that is how it has been in past. They ask you not to plug into the power. You can’t use generators at the tent camping area either. Only at the RV site which is maybe 1/2 mile from tent site.

Comment

Gonna be a great hunt!

Comment

Chaparral 2021/22

Guess I can jump back in here now. Just received my permit after “ pending 2nd draw” for archery 11/30-12/3. Hardly believe I got the second draw for this one. Now to plan accommodations or camp.
                            This will be my first trip to the Chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                              Guess I can jump back in here now. Just received my permit after “ pending 2nd draw” for archery 11/30-12/3. Hardly believe I got the second draw for this one. Now to plan accommodations or camp.

Congrats. Look forward to seeing ya there.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post

WOW... Start the thread & get the luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X