No announcement yet.

Hand corn and scent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had this happen to me yesterday. Not hand corn but feeder failed to go off. Timer had locked up. Went down to set it off manually and scrambled back in tripod. 5 minutes later doe came in. She got to corn but could tell she nervous and smelled something. She would eat a few kernels and back away then come back and stretch to get more corn. I know she was smelling where I walked. I mistakenly walked a line that basically stopped her 10 ft from my shooting lane. She eventually just left. I bet if I would walked other side of feeder she would have came in but then she probably would have come in from other side and hit the wall there.

Comment

I start throwing a month or so before season when I put up ground blinds. I've had deer show up 30 minutes after I throw and they dont seem bothered by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
        Had this happen to me a few days ago. Exactly word for word.
        Every time.

I like to build a V out of dead limbs and pour hand corn inside the V. Deer will usually walk up to the open end of the V to eat the corn rather than reaching over the limbs to get it. Position the V so that they'll stand broadside to slightly quartering away to eat.

I did that Saturday. Didn't want to shoot a doe that day, and no buck showed up. But the does posed perfectly.....after they got over smelling my scent on the sticks I piled up.

I did have a young sika buck come in. He stood facing me and ate corn over the sticks for 15 minutes before he finally stepped around to the open end of the V. He wasn't a shooter though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Shane; 11-02-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I’ve only use hand corn for the last 10-12 years and I touch all of it. Never an issue
          Dont forget the vanilla!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Every time.

I like to build a V out of dead limbs and pour hand corn inside the V. Deer will usually walk up to the open end of the V to eat the corn rather than reaching over the limbs to get it. Position the V so that they'll stand broadside to slightly quartering away to eat.

I did that Saturday. Didn't want to shoot a doe that day, and no buck showed up. But the does posed perfectly.....after they got over smelling my scent on the sticks I piled up.

I did have a young sika buck come in. He stood facing me and ate corn over the sticks for 15 minutes before he finally stepped around to the open end of the V. He wasn't a shooter though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cool tip. Thx

Comment

I thank the deer gods every day for threads like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                I actually had this happen with a shooter buck yesterday but it's usually not an issue.
                It seems to always been an issue with me. I try to corn my spots Wednesdays or Thursdays after work but since it is getting darker earlier now it will be harder to do that. Even though I wear rubber boots, it is not working. I don't know how to cover my scent.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                  It seems to always been an issue with me. I try to corn my spots Wednesdays or Thursdays after work but since it is getting darker earlier now it will be harder to do that. Even though I wear rubber boots, it is not working. I don't know how to cover my scent.
                  I go in after dark and do it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    An old doe will always get freaked out at first when she smells your scent. But she also sees and smells the corn. After sneaking up to the corn and hitting your scent.....turning around to leave.....remembering the corn.....turning back around and sneaking up on it again......stopping in your tracks where the scent is and streeeeeeetching her nose toward the corn.....getting that first bite of corn.....and then finally moving in to chow down, she relaxes and just enjoys the free corn.
                    This has been my experience with deer, as well. But a big ol boar hog will do a double back flip and land in the next county, not to be seen againg...

Comment

I've had deer in the road behind me eating the hand corn before I finished corning the road before climbing in the stand.

On our lease the hogs are a lot less tolerant of human scent. They usually head out as soon as they cross my track whether there is corn or not.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
                        Dont forget the vanilla!
                        Never forget the nilla

Comment

I hand corn outside & inside my feeder pen every time I go to the stand. Have never had a deer or pig seem nervous about it. I usually carry it in doubled plastic grocery bags.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            I keep seeing posts where someone mentions putting out hand corn.
                            Isn't there a concern about a person's scent being on the ground by the hand corn?
                            I personally don't believe in or worry about any of the scent control stuff. Never had any issues and I don't follow any scent "protocol"

Comment

Everytime I hand corn, deer go right to it. And I only hand corn when hunting

Comment

My experience seems to be in line with others. No trouble with deer but a pig will blow out from just smelling where you've walked.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X