New 2,000 Acre Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 2,000 Acre Ranch

Hey, I am new to this whole website and I am loving it and absorbing the information on here. We are from out of state so we are not from Texas. We have just been hunting in texas near junction on our friend's lease for the last 10 years and have fallen in love with it. Sold our business and decided to get a ranch near Rocksprings County Road 450. We have had it for about a year now and have made some major improvements. The ranch was previously owned by someone who just leased out the hunting and the neighbors tell us they just shot up the place. Killed every buck on it, they also had no water and didn't feed year-round. The other piece we picked up (right next to it) was owned by someone who didn't really have the funds to manage his place. So neither place had water or year round feed
    So we have put about 12 feeders on the place, ordered some stands, got the well working again, (10 gallons AN HOUR), ran some poly pipe through the thing, created 4 water troughs and we are going down next week to add 3 more. We had a water surveryor come out and do some seizmic tests to find water and he did! This week I will update on how good the water is he found. He tested 4 spots and 3 had water so hopefully we can get a 8-10 gallons a minute like our neighbors. We only have seen about 3-4 good sized bucks so far this year. We would just like any information on how we can really improve the quality of our place. We have lots of river bottoms and mesquite bottoms.
    We have noticed that they LOVE our protein feeders but not really hitting the corn feeders. Our feeders are DOMINATED with hogs, wondering if hog fence would make a big difference on deer quantity. I bet the place has around 70ish deer on the whole thing. We have seen alot of big axis bucks but we alwasy see them crossing a road and never on the corn feeders, they do hit the proteins. Any tips on hunting them?
    What are some big changes we need to make to get a better deer density? How important is where you put your feeders? Whats a good desnity to shoot for? Any info would help.
    Feel free to email me bradycooper2000@outlook.com
    Last edited by BCoop27; 09-12-2020, 12:59 AM.

We do have some rules, ya know...…………………….
    "Pics" or it didn't happen...……...
    btw---- welcome to the fire...………………...

Comment

Welcome & Congrats on the new ranch!

Comment

where at on 450? my dad has a small place down there and I have one on 310.

Comment

Alfalfa hay for the axis. They love it.

Comment

welcome to the site and Texas. Yes cattle panels around all feeders are worth it - otherwise you will be overrun with pigs (assuming you are not running cattle).

I have helped managed a large south texas ranch for years. Would be happy to answer any questions anytime. As I am sure you know it is a long term process but a fun one. PM me if you want and I will provide you my email address -

Comment

Give them the building blocks of life, food, water, cover for starters. This time of year protein is king there is enough other stuff that corn feeders will be slow as it really has limited nutritional value. If the property has been over hunted it’s going to take time to get the deer back.

I would put cattle panel pens around all protein feeders to keep hogs off of protein. You can leave the corn feeders open and hammer the hogs their.

Axis love protien and alfalfa hay. You can also get hay feeders that will hold square bales up off the ground.

Good luck it is fun

Comment

Howdy!

Comment

Axis love sweet feed, but so do pigs. Fence your feeders with hog panels. Only shoot mature bucks and let your herd grow. Good luck

Comment

Perfect place to find friends. I would like to submit my application.

Comment

To properly assess the ranch, you need the evaluation committee to go on a fact finding outing. This Committee consist of me, and a few other TBH'ers. We will assess the ranch and give a detailed report (LDPs included) of the wildlife quality. You are more than welcome to be present during the evaluation period, but it isn't required. The committee has a opening mid October, if you'd like to take advantage of this service.

Congrats on the ranch. Welcome to the Fire.

Comment

If you feed
                        They will come

I would hit protein hard in that country. Place the protein feeders closer to the center of the property and work you way out

Find a sanctuary area in the middle
                        Of the property that you will not put a lot of pressure on, maybe even a feeder there that you don’t hunt unless a big one shows up there on camera and no where else

Food and water are key

Rent a pneumatic hammer to put t posts in for hog panels. Bigger the better.

Comment

Brady, I don’t know ideal density out there. I do know the following:

Set up panels around feeders—bigger the better. 20 panels in a circle is generally good.

Buy/build several corral style hog traps—kill all you can.

Kill all the aoudad you can (if there).

Additionally, you may need to lay off the deer for a couple years. Certainly refrain from shooting “nice” younger deer.

Shoot axis for the freezer—they blow away whitetail.

Comment

Keep feed going year round, keep water full, give protein/alfalfa year round. Take the poor quality bucks out the first couple years and then just sit back and watch the deer grow. Oh. And KILL EVERY PIG YOU SEE. We have a small place in junction and from year 1 to year 5 doing what I just told you we have seen a big difference. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Welcome and start eliminating as many hogs as you can by lead or trap. Secure water and spew feed. Sounds like you are creating a heaven on earth and it will turn around and provide good hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X